• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV35Ultra Reviews here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gecedion

Essentially everything the original series should have been. I think it's a good card, but not for how much money it's asking for. Certainly an improvement over the original.
Anandtech's benchmarks seem to show a bigger gap between the 9800pro and 5900 ultra. Anandtech made a good point about what could have been, and nVidia's decisions about the original FX series.

OP
PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine

Anand didn't test anything at MAX settings, and didn't get into FSAA comparisons at all as the H did.

Looks like Nvidia rules the roost up to 4xFSAA, but after that, ATI is clearly still the performance and IQ leader. I mean, at max settings, I still find it odd to see the NV35 lagging behind at about 1/2 the frames of the R9800PRO, while the R9800PRO is boasting superior IQ.

RedSkull

what suspicious to me is the DOOM 3 benchmarks at the H

come on its supplied BY NVIDIA, and somehow (of course they deny any involvment prior to the testing but please) the 9800 get 10fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a joke

good job witht the 5900 ultra though it looks to be the contender its aborted sibling could never be

EDIT: also, why at all these OC sites, are there NO O/C tests done?

anyone know of any, i checked all the links i could find and see none

Last edited:

Pinky

Well, AA on the FX stinks (can plainly see that in the UT2003 screenies at 4X, look at the bottom portions of the window panes). It seems to keep up decently with the 9800, but nothing to get excited over IMO.

OP
PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine

RedSkull said:
EDIT: also, why at all these OC sites, are there NO O/C tests done?

anyone know of any, i checked all the links i could find and see none

I think it's b/c the boards Nvidia supplied are not final revision boards. There will be some layout changes which could affect overclocking performance.

The NV35 is still about 1 1/2- 2 months out, don't expect one anytime soon.

Tw00sh

[offtopic]
That graph is no where near accurate. How is it I need to make less living in Haiti than I do in Washington DC to be equal? Haiti is a 3rd world country last time i checked?

And I would have to make 4,000 more to equal Mexico city? HUH ? Something is not right with that site?
[/offtopic]

Cowboy X

So far the 5900U looks very fast but with several problems still :

1/ Price ! $500 is too high and is $100 more than competing cards which beat it in a significant number of benches and games .

2/ Still does too many things in low quality and low precision but at least the high quality modes have increased greatly in speed .

3/ Still takes up a PCi slot :(

4/ The TV out is horrible ( Hopefully a driver issue ) .

5/ In reality only really gains parity with the existing on the shelf 9800 pro . If it is considered an overall winner the that lead is marginal and tenous if not unimpressive . ( Maybe I'm guilty of expecting too much , the 4600 vs 8500 and 9700 vs 4600 releases have probably spoiled me . )

6/ When can we buy it ? ................. I suspect not for a while and by the time it is really available , ATI has promised to have a refreshed and faster part ready/available . The oneupmanship continues .

Standard resoloutions and tests _Nvidia 5900 U wins :

Quake 3
Doom 3
3dMark2003 overall
Serious Sam SE
IL2 Sturmovik
Splinter Cell
Code Creatures
Jedi Knight 2

Standard resoloution and tests _9800 Pro wins :

UT 2003
3dGame Gauge ( several games are included in this bench mark )
Dungeon Seige
Nasscar 2002
NHL 2002
Commanche
2DMark 2001 SE

Please not that my 'conclusions' are base on results from several reviews . To give one card a win , it had to be on top of the majority of the benches made in that given game and in particular at the still standard gaming resoloution of 1024x768 .

Antialising and Anisotropic performance is too difficult a call right now with results varying widely from resoloution to resoloution . The 5900U shows great speed improvements especially at 4x but doesn't look as good ( quality wise )as the 9800 Pro . The 5900U max quality setting performs very poorly while at the same time not looking as good as the 9800 Pro : http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=554&page=21

Numbers from games such as Quake3,JK2,Serious Sam SE and Dungeon Seige are much less important in today's highend / ultra high end cards since cards from the 9500 Pro and up easily play them at high res with AA and AF at very fast frame rates . What is more important is the performance in recently released , soon to be realeased and future games . All the Nvidia fans will be very happy with the stellar Doom3 performance while Unreal engine performance will make ATI users very happy , it all therefore depends on how many top notch big name games will use each of these engines and how soon will they come to market .

Doom3 : Farcry , Stalker , Doom3 of course

UT 2003 : Mafia , Half Life 2 , Ut 2004 ( due this year, may have a different name ) ), Jedi Knight 3 , Unreal 2 , UT 2003 of course

What the NV35 does offer is an alternative to ATI hardware which is much better than the past 9 months or so . Is it worth buying if you have a 9700,5800,5800U,9700 Pro, 9800 or 9800 Pro ..................... No . If you are buying fresh for a new rig or for an older card ................... maybe if you have the dough . But be aware that this may not be available for general retail for 2 months at least , especially given Nvidia's history and policy concerning releases and actual availability . By which time ATI will try to continue the oneupmanship battle with a new and higher clocked card .

Edited : Spelling

Last edited:

OC Noob

Captain Hilts said:
Real wages are lower in Canada on average by about 20 - 25%.

Wow, I always assumed things were pretty much the same in both contries. Something must be done then.

LIFT THE SANCTIONS ON CANADA!!!

NO MORE HOCKEY/LEBATT'S EMBARGO!!!

Hurk

As stated in another thread. I would like to see "ATI vs nVidia" benchies at the SAME image quality. Like.. maxed out nVidia card to 4xAA /4xAF on ATI cards. (pretty close eh?)

Captain Hilts

OC Noob said:

Wow, I always assumed things were pretty much the same in both contries. Something must be done then.

LIFT THE SANCTIONS ON CANADA!!!

NO MORE HOCKEY/LEBATT'S EMBARGO!!!

Heh, I think it's partly all those rich guys in Boston and stuff who pull up the US average. But yeah, you guys should spend a little more up here to help us out. ;)

Lazlo Panaflex

I just read anandtechs review ( i could not get on to Hocp) but i wonder why ATI decided to release the 9800 pro 256mb when the performance was no different from the 9800....:confused: Oh well there is a card war abruin, and the ppl that will most benifit from it is US :D

Damian

The 256mb might come in very handy for future games or current games with very high quality settings.

Technically, 128mb isn't any faster than 64mb either, but the difference starts appearing with later games, high resolutions, and AA.