• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia 196.21 driver warning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Since I found out the hard way, I thought I'd mention it here since I haven't seen anybody talk about it for GPU folding.

The 196.21 drivers break Rivatuner. The shader clock slider doesn't show up anymore.

Apparently there is a new EVGA Precision out that can handle this, but as far as I'm aware, they haven't come up with a version of Precision that handles multiple non-SLI'd GPUs. Every time I tried it, it would only work on the first GPU.

Oh, and while I'm complaining. I couldn't uninstall the 196.21 drivers through the control panel Add-Remove options in XP Pro 64bit. It told me it was a 32bit app and wouldn't work. I installed the 195.62 over the top of it, which didn't make me happy, but seemed to work. If I run into any problems, I'll try uninstalling it through the device manager panel, which only occured to me later....

may be an XP/Nvidia driver issue... i got the 196 but on windows 7 and no issues with the sliders. but i may have the newest Riva client but i use EVGA tho... dunno

I just installed the 196.21 on Windows 7 64 bit and it changed a lot of things. I reinstalled the previous version and all back to normal. The weirdest thing was it took away the ability to put the computer in sleep mode. I think the Aero stuff or whatever also got turned off.

thanx for the info roisen i shall download the drivers right away ive known the drivers was what was causing the oc problems but everytime i checked nvidia they still hadn't updated ill go look for it now

I have been using EVGA Precision since version 1.7 on all my systems having no issues with multi-non SLI'd cards. It is now 1.91, shows you gpu usage, temp, memory usage, core shader memory clocks and it is generally much easier to work with than rivatuner. It's probably based on rivatuner.

Anyway, please give it another try, torin, if you haven't recently.

in my opinion, which aint much, the best drivers are the 18x.xx series
the 19x.xx's have given me nothing but headaches the 191.21 which is the best of the bunch I cant use due to my NF200 which is known to blow boards (E759)

My 190.38 has worked well until the last few weeks. Now the driver keeps erroring out and win7 has to keep restarting it. That is crapping out my GPU2 WUs and giving me a lot of EUE 24hr time out errors.

I'll try that 196.34 beta and see if that works any better.

Back