• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia 5900SE benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi all, I just built my new rig, and finished burning it in and did a few bench marks. I ran across this thread a few weeks ago as I was reaserching on the vid card I wanted to get. So I thought I would share the results of my 5900se card.

All results are on defualt mem/cpu speeds with Nvidia's latest drivers.. I will get around to OC'ing soon...

3DMark2001SE - 15322
3DMark03 - 5491

You'll find a BIG difference between common gaming benchmarks and actual gameplay fps w/ nVidia. Although the FX5900SE is an EXCELLENT value (currently the best under $200 IMO) using common benches is misleading...they continue to manipulate common gaming benches via driver hacks.

Look for reviews that actual record gameplay w/ recorded fps high, ,low, and average...this way, what you see is what you get...

True that Benchmark does not give you real gaming proformance but it does give you an idea of what a card is capable of.

Benchies in theory tell how well a card will perform but most of us here know that is not the case with actual games performace.

shortyes said:
True that Benchmark does not give you real gaming proformance but it does give you an idea of what a card is capable of.

Benchies in theory tell how well a card will perform but most of us here know that is not the case with actual games performace.

No, I mean real gaming benchmarks are fudged by nVidia, and are NOT representative of what the card is capable of......

:(

PreservedSwine said:

No, I mean real gaming benchmarks are fudged by nVidia, and are NOT representative of what the card is capable of......

:(

Yes yes Nvidia has fudge in the past and might still fudge a bit but so does ATI and yes ATI does fudge a bit as well. It is the art of Fudge work to see which can fudge the fudge that the competition can not find.

Saying that Only Nvidia Fudge benchmark is not a realistic view of the video industry.

shortyes said:

Yes yes Nvidia has fudge in the past and might still fudge a bit but so does ATI and yes ATI does fudge a bit as well. It is the art of Fudge work to see which can fudge the fudge that the competition can not find.

Saying that Only Nvidia Fudge benchmark is not a realistic view of the video industry.

Asserting that the extent of what Nvidia is currently doing to specific game benches is equal to what ATI is doing is not a realistic view....

:rolleyes:

You are right but let me tell ya something. ATi saw a 40% Increase in overall revenue in for the year. Now that is something. Benchmarks dont necessarly give an accurate picture, but stock holders do!

No one can deny that ATi is doing something right this year.

kind of off topic, but what should I be looking for to get a 9800np with the potential to flash to a pro?

<edited for content :beer: >

Last edited:
nikeair said:
kind of off topic, but what should I be looking for to get a 9800np with the potential to flash to a pro?

<edited for content :beer: >

9800np's are about as common as the last chicken leg at a Church picnic...so chances are if you are able to find one, you can't really be too picky about what kind of RAM is on it.

Basically, you want Samsung RAM, the lower the ns the better, but even 3.3ns Samsung seems able to overclock better than Infineon 3.0ns...

So if you can find one w. Samsung, 2.86ns is the best, followed by 3.0, then 3.3, then any infineon RAM

In CPU magazines recent issue, they compared high-end, and mid-range video cards. They used not only benchmarks, but game-play FPS ranges, ease of overclocking, and temps, as well as the prices. Nvidia got blown out of the water in most category's for similar price-range cards vs. the ATI ones, and barely squeeked in on a few (mostly being benchmark tests)

This seems to point to Nvidia as the bench-fudger, and ATI as the better bang for the buck cards.

*sigh*:( Some ppl never learn. When ppl claim that ATi is better, we really mean it. Especially the guys that got burned by Nvidia with the 5200/5600FXs

I know it gets repetive at times, but there really is some truth to what we say. Nvidia is simply behind, in everything. They will likely either catch up or go out of buisness. So far with the next-gens are concerned it appear to be the latter. Nvidia is way behind, and losing money.

Nvidia cards aren't nearly as bad as the ATI fanboys make them out to be, I never notice any poor frame rate in any games and I run them all at 1600X1200 on my FX5900U, also get a score of 7882 on 3Dmarks03.

If people read what I wrote they would understand that I am not saying Nvidia is better than ATI in the highend cards. The 9800 series rule there

What I am saying is that there is a GOOD Nvidia card that can slap the 9600 series in the value market.

I am not an Nvidia fan boy or an ATI fan Boy. I have owned both and switch when I feel a card is better.

If you have read the beginning post I stated This.

ATI Boys are all in the past. YES there was not a decent mid range card until about 1 month ago with the release of the 5900SE/XT

Yes the 9600pro/XT can beat the 5200, 5600, 5700

IT can not beat the 5900

This is just like asking which is better Intel or AMD both have their good points.

I am NOT TALKING brand name I am talking about a specific CARD aka the 5900SE/XT VERSUS the 9600XT

I will admit the 9500, 9700 and 9800 will beat this card....I will not agree to any ATI Fanboy saying that the 9600 is a great card. The card is crap. I will also say again the 5200, 5600 and 5700 is crap as well.

9600XT comparison benchies? lemme see....

mmmmkayyyy - Ran Aquamark 3 and this is what happened:

o_o.JPG

I'm going to reinstall stuff now...

EDIT: wtf? I get 8700 in 3dmark2001 - something is wrong here

Last edited:
Just to add I doubt the 9600xt can beat a 5800, but the 5900 is cheaper than the 5800 and is the better card to get which everyone else said. The 9600xt to a 5700 ultra is really like neck and neck in the end (upcoming games) the 9600 will probably win but right now its very close. People also have great ocing experiences with the 5700 from what i've heard (someone in the forums got over a 700core and something like 1050mem). Unless you find a good refurb deal on a 5800. You can get a 5900 for $172 now, which is a really good deal :)

In many reviews and tests that i have checked i see that Nvidia is tad better without AA's or AF's on but when going higher resolutions and putting AA's and AF's on ATI's cards really are performing better to Nvidia's and Nvidia's cards doesn't have the DX9 support as the ATI have. DX9=Future.

Edit: ATI is a bit behind in drivers IMO compared to Nvidia. I bought my Radeon 9700 Pro because it is better run for my money at the moment.

And people should try and compare 5900SE and 9800SE together. I had 9800SE (256-bit version) and my 3Dmark01 score was 14500 and 3DMark03 4300. Those 2 are more comparable than 9600XT or Pro.

qbas said:
In many reviews and tests that i have checked i see that Nvidia is tad better without AA's or AF's on but when going higher resolutions and putting AA's and AF's on ATI's cards really are performing better to Nvidia's and Nvidia's cards doesn't have the DX9 support as the ATI have. DX9=Future.

Edit: ATI is a bit behind in drivers IMO compared to Nvidia. I bought my Radeon 9700 Pro because it is better run for my money at the moment.

And people should try and compare 5900SE and 9800SE together. I had 9800SE (256-bit version) and my 3Dmark01 score was 14500 and 3DMark03 4300. Those 2 are more comparable than 9600XT or Pro.

I agree but price wise the 5900SE is the same as the 9600XT

Back