• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED nVidia Ampere (3000-series) GPU Rumors and Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I didn't notice one of these existing so I figured I'd post one up for getting a discussion going regarding the hotly anticipated cards to be released this year and next.

We still don't know when they will be officially announced (on the desktop-side) as well as official release date and pricing. Hopefully, that will shake out in the next month or so.

Some interesting rumors/articles that I've read recently:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvid...require-upgraders-to-rip-out-most-of-their-pc

The above discusses the possibility of needing a new PSU or maybe an adapter for a new 12-pin plug for power for the 3080ti graphics cards

There's also hope that the RTX-Penalty that we saw with the Turing cards will be mostly removed so that you aren't losing half [ish] of your framerate if you decide to turn on the nicer graphical settings.

What do you all think? How much do you think each card will cost and where will the performance be relative to the previous generation Turing cards as well as against AMD's Big Navi coming out presumaly later this year as well.

I think the 12 pin thing is more than likely true. There have been some rumours the last week or so saying that the power draw is 300w which rises to 400w when the card is Overclocked. Which is a fair bit higher than the 2080ti.

This could be the problem with Nvidia going with Samsung 8nm rather than TSMC 7nm. They maybe thought AMD wouldn’t come to the party and they would get away with it. However if the power draw is true it may show that Nvidia is worried that Navi 2x could be very good.

My prediction is that AMD will have the overall performance but that Nvidia will have better ray tracing and they will have DLSS 3.0 which could be a game changer. I am hoping it is a close race between the two and maybe we will get a bit of a price war. If not prices will be high again.

Watching this one carefully to decide which way to jump this autumn.

If 3000-series card pricing is anything like 2000 series are just now, I think I'll be going AMD ...

I think the 12 pin thing is more than likely true. There have been some rumours the last week or so saying that the power draw is 300w which rises to 400w when the card is Overclocked. Which is a fair bit higher than the 2080ti.

This could be the problem with Nvidia going with Samsung 8nm rather than TSMC 7nm. They maybe thought AMD wouldn’t come to the party and they would get away with it. However if the power draw is true it may show that Nvidia is worried that Navi 2x could be very good.

My prediction is that AMD will have the overall performance but that Nvidia will have better ray tracing and they will have DLSS 3.0 which could be a game changer. I am hoping it is a close race between the two and maybe we will get a bit of a price war. If not prices will be high again.

They could include a bundled power adapter like some already do. This new one would have 2x8 (~400w) Pin adapter to 12 Pin?? If no OC, maybe a 8+6 (~250w) Pin Adapter. IIRC my KingPin GTX-780Ti/980Ti requires (2)8+(1)6 pin power cable to pull ~500w+ when OCed.
If they are looking at a ~400w+ Power Requirment - What will the VRM section look like??
Here is a review of the EVGA GTX-780Ti/980Ti Classified :)
https://www.overclockers.com/evga-gtx-980-ti-classified-graphics-card-review/
https://www.overclockers.com/evga-gtx780ti-classified-graphics-card-review/

Watching this one carefully to decide which way to jump this autumn.

If 3000-series card pricing is anything like 2000 series are just now, I think I'll be going AMD ...
I was thinking the same thing but ultimately I have had enough random issues with AMD cards with their drivers and everything else that it pains me to think of moving back over to there from Nvidia. I just hope that AMD is competitive enough that either the pricing stays low or at least there is some challenge. I also wonder if there will be any sort of mining boom as some sometimes happens when there are new releases of cards.

Here is my uneducated opinion, the new 12 pin power adapter will not be used until much later, since it hasn't yet be approved by the standards committee.
NVidia will not release their new graphic cards until AMD releases theirs first. Pricing will be based on what AMD sets and how well the AMD cards perform.
AMD can completely rewrite the rules of Ray-Tracing since they have the backing of Playstation, Xbox, Intel and AMD to create the standard. NVidia will have to follow their lead at some point.

My guesses....

The flagship consumer ampre (read: non titan) will come in at the same price as 2080 Ti MSRP or less. It will offer 40% more performance with a slightly higher TDP (250-275W). With NV getting a node shrink (and a denser process IIRC) and a new architecture, I can't imagine less. Because it is getting a die shrink and new arch is why I feel it won't be a 300W card out of the box. Either that or they dumped a shed load into the tensor cores and RT capabilities and ran up clocks on the shader side.

Big Navi will sit between 2080Ti and flagship consumer ampre...likely closer to ampre than 2080 Ti at similar power use. AMD is going to use RDNA2 on a tweaked process (think 7nm+ :p) so they don't have the natural benefits of the node shrink for power and efficiency improvements. They have a lot of ground to make up to take the performance crown. Hopefully their flagship isn't run out of its efficiency zone (5700 XT) so power use is in check.

The connector......... if that is even true (supposedly the twitter account or wherever that was sourced from said it was a joke/made up)... is just a connector.

Anyway... I can't wait... I really hope Big Navi is within 10-15% of Ampre... :)

The 12 pin will probably start with their workstation gpus. I cant see nv going with it on their flagship gpu until theres some kind of psu standard implemented. Right now it sounds like it would be putting the cart before the horse(even with an adapter).
Pricing? Honestly, who knows what well see. Nv will likely keep the stupid pricing until they are forced to abandon it by losing the performance crown. Even then they will likely be slow in admitting defeat/dropping prices. AMD will go full on stupid if they can take the performance lead(see my last). If not they will place and price their cards the same way they did with the 5700s and try to undercut nv wherever possible to increase profits. They have to find a way for navi/big navi to increase their gpu r&d before intel comes back. Nv will never pull an intel and give AMD anything. AMD absolutely must take full advantage of their process lead while they can. Right now is their best chance. Otherwise it will inevitably be more of the same.

Dumb question can't the 12pin be a 6+6? With SLi being out of the picture, most PSU's have 2 6 pins...

Is there not a new PSU standard due soon anyway (no 5V rails, only 12V?). That might be the point at which to introduce new connectors seeing as there will need to be a change across a range of hardware including motherboards.

Is there not a new PSU standard due soon anyway (no 5V rails, only 12V?). That might be the point at which to introduce new connectors seeing as there will need to be a change across a range of hardware including motherboards.

I think that’s the theory that is being banded about as to why this may be true for the Nvidia card. If they can offer and adapter in the box then everything will be fine. And then when the new standard does come out you will no longer need the adaptor.

Of course this could be all rubbish

That's the main thing I'm thinking of right now, off there aren't psus out right now to support the card then it almost certainly can't be at launch. Those companies would want to be out there ready and available for builders.

So I read an article last night - which I now helpfully can't find - that suggests that the 12 pin connector will be for OEM builders at first, and not for cards for the DIY market. I guess this makes sense, until PSUs start to include the 12 pin connector.

My guess... incoming.

3000 series will all be RTX. Flagship will be expensive as hell but a step or two down will give 70-80% of the performance for 50-60% of the price. I have heard rumours of them mixing up their naming scheme again with supers and TIs etc...

Prices will come down once Big Navi comes out and it will likely compete quiet well since all the new consoles IIRC are using custom Navi chips.

Think I am on point or out to lunch?

I think there's a good chance that you will be right. I hope that both products launch near each other for competition, but maybe AMD will have their high-end slot between the 3070 and 3080 (I believe that's where there 5700XT falls right now compared to the 2k series nvidia GPUs). Thus leaving nVidia to charge whatever they want for the 3080 and 3080ti/3090.

I would love to buy a top-of-the-line GPU for significantly less than $1000, but sadly, I'm not going to bet on it.

I think there's a good chance that you will be right. I hope that both products launch near each other for competition, but maybe AMD will have their high-end slot between the 3070 and 3080 (I believe that's where there 5700XT falls right now compared to the 2k series nvidia GPUs). Thus leaving nVidia to charge whatever they want for the 3080 and 3080ti/3090.

I would love to buy a top-of-the-line GPU for significantly less than $1000, but sadly, I'm not going to bet on it.

My guess will be for big Navi to land between the 3080 and 3080ti. And I think it will be much closer to the 3080ti than the 3080, maybe even beating it in some games. You have to remember that the 5700xt is a mid tier card, they aimed it at the 3070. The 6700xt will land around the 3070. They will probably release a 6800xt and 6900xt so you can see where they will try and fit in.

These cards will be more about ray tracing than anything else. If Nvidia come out and say we are 4x better with ray tracing and AMD can only get to half of that performance then Nvidia will have something to fight with and more importantly for Nvidia they can charge more money than AMD again.

Back