• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED nVidia Ampere (3000-series) GPU Rumors and Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see why people are getting so worked up about them releasing the Ti series. Nvidia has released a Ti for quite a few generations now so not expecting it at this point just seems silly. Ti cards have always been way overpriced for what they are and only useful to the most hardcore benchers so again not sure why people are getting all butthurt. Not like any of them will be in stock any more than the plain 3000 series anyways.

Probably because gamers remember fondly the 980ti and 1080ti that were half as much. They were far more palatable then these overpriced jokes that the 2080ti and 3080ti have become. Nvidiot, the shareholders card! Hahaha i crack myself up 🤣

Proud owner of a Strix 980ti, bought at the time for ~£600 and still plenty viable for gaming @1080p high settings nowadays, which does feel kinda meh because I had to pay the same ~£600 for my current 3070 [emoji58]

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about them releasing the Ti series. Nvidia has released a Ti for quite a few generations now so not expecting it at this point just seems silly. Ti cards have always been way overpriced for what they are and only useful to the most hardcore benchers so again not sure why people are getting all butthurt. Not like any of them will be in stock any more than the plain 3000 series anyways.
I don't think people would be annoyed if there were not massive supply issues already with existing cards that utilize the same dies that are for those chips as is

Probably because gamers remember fondly the 980ti and 1080ti that were half as much. They were far more palatable then these overpriced jokes that the 2080ti and 3080ti have become. Nvidiot, the shareholders card! Hahaha i crack myself up 🤣

Just about everything was cheaper back then. Getting mad about the inflated prices now doesn't bring back the good ol' days. I mean a decent CPU and motherboard that would overclock tons was about $200 total at one point.

I don't think people would be annoyed if there were not massive supply issues already with existing cards that utilize the same dies that are for those chips as is
I get it and also don't like it but a company can't change their entire product cycle based on one problem without serious repercussions at some point. The worst that can happen with the current problem is they make more money as shown by their recent earnings report.

Also, not to be that guy but I've been able to buy 3 separate 3000 series cards at retail price from two different retailers so while supply sucks at the moment getting a card is possible. If people would stop paying 2 and 3 times for a card on ebay scalpers would stop selling them so buyers are adding to the problem, not nvidia. At this point they are just taking advantage of stupid people with too much cc debt to burn.

Were talkin high end gpus Bugfreak...decent?
Decent gaming mbs and cpus have been and still are easy to source. High end gpu prices have gone completely looney tunes since rtx.
Mad?
Nope.
Disgusted?
Absolutely.
Ill go out on a limb and say preeeetty confidently that im not alone in feeling that way.
There was a time when nvidiot actually really tried to make it look like they gave a hoot about gamers. Now they simply pander to the shareholders at every turn. Sure everyone has to make a buck and all that jazz but how far can you push the core of your business before it comes back to haunt you? Gamers may not be a massive demographic but we still have alot to say about who buys what.
Unfortunately for us nvidiot learned long ago that gamers are a stubbornly loyal lot. I wonder how far that loyalty will go with AMD punching back now? The end of the mining boom? Next year? Next gen?
Btw im talking msrp not these halfwit eBay prices.

I got a 980Ti and 1080Ti new when they were current. I got a 2080Ti when it became clear getting a 3080 wasn't going to be easy. 3080Ti? At given MSRP, I'm not exactly hyped for it. If I saw one at MSRP, it is within my buying limits but with AIB pricing and street inflation, I'm not so sure I'll bite.

I'll probably half-heartedly try for a 3070ti even though I have a 3070. It's a slight bump in performance and I know I can sell my 3070 for more than I paid four it in February (though I'll probably list it less than that).

Were talkin high end gpus Bugfreak...decent?
Decent gaming mbs and cpus have been and still are easy to source. High end gpu prices have gone completely looney tunes since rtx.
Mad?
Nope.
Disgusted?
Absolutely.
Ill go out on a limb and say preeeetty confidently that im not alone in feeling that way.
There was a time when nvidiot actually really tried to make it look like they gave a hoot about gamers. Now they simply pander to the shareholders at every turn. Sure everyone has to make a buck and all that jazz but how far can you push the core of your business before it comes back to haunt you? Gamers may not be a massive demographic but we still have alot to say about who buys what.
Unfortunately for us nvidiot learned long ago that gamers are a stubbornly loyal lot. I wonder how far that loyalty will go with AMD punching back now? The end of the mining boom? Next year? Next gen?
Btw im talking msrp not these halfwit eBay prices.
I don't think this is an Nvidia only problem. I mean, a 6900 xt is ($1000) and rare like a unicorn as well...performs like a rtx 3080 ($699), right?

A 6800 ($580) and rtx 3070 ($500) compete performance wise. Rtx 3060 ti ($400) competes with 6700 xt ($480).

There's no doubt the 3080ti at $1200 would be a lot better at $999. The problem comes when there's only a few percent difference between a 3080 and 3090 performance wise, but a massive price gap. So almost any price doesn't match up with the performance increase. When a $700 card is 1% behind a 1000 card (3080 and 6900 xt) being a couple % faster but $500 more is a tough pill to swallow.

The 3090 is just a confused (expensove) soul... it's a crossover card for enthusiasts/creators. A Titan in GeForce shoes. Really, AMD uses a bit less juice, and has gobs of vram at the same performance point. Otherwise, if you compare performance (3060ti/3070/3080 vs 6700xt/6800/6900xt) and price, i think it paints a different picture. The problem is finding anything at MSRP or close to it.

In a quick check some AMD GPUs are still in stock from multiple retailers, and have been for about a week or so. Now, it is the lowly 6700XT and it starts here around £780 (US$919 ex. sales tax). That pricing might be a contributing factor to it being in stock. Still not a sniff of an nvidia GPU. Wonder how much luck I used up getting a 3070...

Also, not to be that guy but I've been able to buy 3 separate 3000 series cards at retail price from two different retailers so while supply sucks at the moment getting a card is possible. If people would stop paying 2 and 3 times for a card on ebay scalpers would stop selling them so buyers are adding to the problem, not nvidia. At this point they are just taking advantage of stupid people with too much cc debt to burn.

The situation changes around the world. It seems from hearing what you guys all say that cards can be found in America if you spend some time looking. However here in Europe it has been a struggle to get a card that isn’t off of eBay, or a massively inflated price by the seller. A 3070 for example is selling for £900 (over $1200) at the retailer if you can get one. And they are still very rare.

You can find AMD cards at Newegg too, but the prices are insane. I might be wrong here, someone please correct me, but I'm not sure they mine as well as nvidia so that may play a role too(???). Perhaps I'm way off base there.

They mine the same or better, depends how you compare performance/W or performance/$. For example RX6800XT mine better than RTX3070 but worse than RTX3080. It's still cheaper than RTX3080 and often close to the RTX3070 price. RX6800XT uses less power than RTX3080 and heats up less but RTX3070 already has about 30W less than the RX6800XT while mining (at optimized settings).

At least in my local stores RX6700XT cost about 20% more than I paid for my 2nd RX6800XT, about 5 months ago. RX6800XT already costs twice as much. This is the moment when I'm happy that I bought something highly overpriced and at the same time I feel that something isn't right.

You can find AMD cards at Newegg too, but the prices are insane. I might be wrong here, someone please correct me, but I'm not sure they mine as well as nvidia so that may play a role too(???). Perhaps I'm way off base there.

Using your price scheme... (cuz I'm too lazy to look up actuals LOL)

6900xt = $1000@62Mh/s = 0.062Mh/$

3080 = $700@98Mh/s = 0.14Mh/$ (roughly 2.25x better)

I have 64Mh/s on RX6800XT / ~160W ... at auto settings it's 62Mh/s / ~220W

Also, these prices would be too good. In EU you can translate it to:
- RTX3090 = ~$3.2k
- RX6900XT = ~ $3k
- RTX3080 = ~ $2.5k
- RX6800XT = ~ $2.1k
- RTX3070 = ~ $1.8k
- RX6800 = ~1.7k
- RTX3060Ti = ~ $1.5k
- RX6700XT = ~ $1.4k
- RTX3060 = ~ $1.3k

Prices close to the average with the local average VAT around 19-23% (depends on the country).

I don't disagree. I'm simply looking at minerstat for hash rates and was comparing Joe's prices which are MSRP iirc and not actual street prices which obviously are much higher.

Yep... msrp. Clearly you can't find it there, but how fair is it to compare prices that vary so wildly for so many reasons? Clearly geography matters as does conversion and vat... but thinking for the US and msrp, I just wasn't buying the nvidia hate considering both are, seemingly, in remarkably similar positions.;)

As someone who has also managed to have my hands on 3 different 3080s for their starting MSRP I wish that MSRP was back in place. The 3080ti for $1200-ish is high, but it makes sense as a mid-way point between 3080 and 3090 MSRPs. The "new/current/existing" pricing from AIBs doubles it easily and that's just horrendous. I think that is what people are upset about, there's already going to be LHR across the board on all GPUs for ETH mining specifically (somewhat ironic considering the move to PoS that is planned... we will see when it officially happens).

I have no need/desire for a 3080ti based on the aforementioned reason and planned/possible performance difference and the insane prices across the board.

Yeah the 3080ti is out of my league. That's as much as I spend on the entirety of my gaming rig (GPU included). If I can get a 3070ti for MSRP I will. Make my 2070 a fulltime miner and game on the 3070ti. Unless some genius figures out a way to remove the Hash governor. Lol

Back