• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED nVidia Ampere (3000-series) GPU Rumors and Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to evga customer service google will prevent the recaptcha from showing up if you're on a vpn. I don't use a vpn and I see recaptcha on other sites regularly where it works just fine. No idea.

EDIT: Got my auto notifies done on my phone. Tbh I hope I win a newegg raffle for an asus tuf since it's still cheaper even without a coupon and has better cooling.

This is all SOOOOO... sooo stupid.

I got the video card I could afford that was available last year... then the world lost its mind.

Now all these lotteries, and drawings, and raffles to BUY A VIDEO CARD are the new normal.

It's NOT... normal. I've been saying it for a year now: Somebody needs to DO SOMETHING about the scalping.

I realize there's very little incentive for the video card manufacturers to do anything about it... because they're making money hand-over-fist.

But given the length of time that this has been going on... the only result is a glorified Ponzi Scheme of price fixing.

Like what happened to that idea of the 3080 costing 499 or whatever it was supposed to be? (Can anyone even remember?)

"Here's our Suggested Retail Price... GEE! Look! Now it's $30,000! WELL THEN... Our REVISED SRP is..."

This is all SOOOOO... sooo stupid.

I got the video card I could afford that was available last year... then the world lost its mind.

Now all these lotteries, and drawings, and raffles to BUY A VIDEO CARD are the new normal.

It's NOT... normal. I've been saying it for a year now: Somebody needs to DO SOMETHING about the scalping.

I realize there's very little incentive for the video card manufacturers to do anything about it... because they're making money hand-over-fist.

But given the length of time that this has been going on... the only result is a glorified Ponzi Scheme of price fixing.

Like what happened to that idea of the 3080 costing 499 or whatever it was supposed to be? (Can anyone even remember?)

"Here's our Suggested Retail Price... GEE! Look! Now it's $30,000! WELL THEN... Our REVISED SRP is..."
I find it kinda of fun after the first one(The first was Xmas:))...I am terrible at finding stuff in stock...so if I was able to get 2 at retail and 1 slightly above...anyone can do it...I think things are starting to improve.

Capitalism at its worst.

Is Maidstone in the U.K.? Or is that a Lord of the Rings reference I'm missing?

The only thing that will solve this is more supply, or a crypto bust.

I'm in no hurry.

Has it been confirmed that crypto is what's causing all of this?

Also... How much is a 3080 going for now if you can get one at regular price? Are they anywhere near the 799 that was promised? (That WAS the price that was promised, right? 799 for a 3080 and 499 for a 3070?)

Yes, those were the original prices. That was before the tariffs forced a nearly industry-wide price hike. EVGA still has their base 3080 (XC3 Black Gaming) at $799 and you can get them at MSRP if you use the auto-notify, though you need to be ultra patient. (i.e. I signed up for the auto-notify in Feb of 2021, they have only completed orders up to Sept of 2020 so far.)

Yes, mining does play a role in the GPU shortage, but not in the semi-conductor/chip shortage. If the manufacturers were able to fill all the orders, believe me, they would. They can't get the parts they need.

Is Maidstone in the U.K.? Or is that a Lord of the Rings reference I'm missing?

Has it been confirmed that crypto is what's causing all of this?

Also... How much is a 3080 going for now if you can get one at regular price? Are they anywhere near the 799 that was promised? (That WAS the price that was promised, right? 799 for a 3080 and 499 for a 3070?)

crypto is part of it, people getting into scalping because they can is part of it. And just hugely supply and demand being part of it.

I managed to get my hands on a 3080FE for $699 around launch, and subsequently two EVGA FTW3 Ultras for $800/ea [for the auto-notify]. Sold the FE to a buddy for cost and have the two EVGAs mining and gaming.

Capitalism at its worst.

crypto is part of it, people getting into scalping because they can is part of it. And just hugely supply and demand being part of it.

I managed to get my hands on a 3080FE for $699 around launch, and subsequently two EVGA FTW3 Ultras for $800/ea [for the auto-notify]. Sold the FE to a buddy for cost and have the two EVGAs mining and gaming.

Can you explain the "mining" thing to me? I never got it. Do you somehow get Bitcoins from it or something? I understand how folding works... but I don't really get mining...

Can you explain the "mining" thing to me? I never got it. Do you somehow get Bitcoins from it or something? I understand how folding works... but I don't really get mining...

Pretend it is folding, but instead of unfolding proteins you're solving math problems and hoping to guess the answer for the question being asked.

Bitcoin is one of the cryptocurrencies, yes, but can no longer be mined with consumer hardware [cpu/gpu] there's been specialized miners (called ASICs) around for years that are hundreds of times faster at computing the algorithm. Most people are mining Ethereum (uses a different algorithm than bitcoin) or similar coins with their existing hardware as it is the most profitable ($/watt). Feel free to check out ED's post or the crypto section here. There's numerous videos on youtube as well regarding it, and probably explaining it way better than I can.

Signed up for step up from my 3070 to a 3080 FTW3 or whatever in November. Nothing yet, and with the release of the 3080 TI, I'm not holding my breath.

Capitalism at its worst.

Pretend it is folding, but instead of unfolding proteins you're solving math problems and hoping to guess the answer for the question being asked.

Bitcoin is one of the cryptocurrencies, yes, but can no longer be mined with consumer hardware [cpu/gpu] there's been specialized miners (called ASICs) around for years that are hundreds of times faster at computing the algorithm. Most people are mining Ethereum (uses a different algorithm than bitcoin) or similar coins with their existing hardware as it is the most profitable ($/watt). Feel free to check out ED's post or the crypto section here. There's numerous videos on youtube as well regarding it, and probably explaining it way better than I can.

Thanks. What I still don't get is: Are there suddenly like 20 million miners or what?? I could understand if there was a shortage of video cards for like a MONTH or something... but it's been almost a year. I really can't imagine that so many people would need... every video card on the market... for mining.

Maybe I'm just OLD now and not in tune with what young people are up to... but I don't know a single person who's doing any mining.

Thanks. What I still don't get is: Are there suddenly like 20 million miners or what?? I could understand if there was a shortage of video cards for like a MONTH or something... but it's been almost a year. I really can't imagine that so many people would need... every video card on the market... for mining.

It is hard to get exact numbers for this sort of thing, but we can imply it from stats available. I'm only looking at Ethereum which remains the biggest GPU mineable coin. Current network hashrate is around 615 TH/s. A well optimised 3070 is around 60 MH/s. In other words, the current work being done on the Ethereum network is equivalent to 10M well optimised 3070 GPUs. In reality, you can be sure many of those will not be best optimised, and also people will be using more lower cards than those using higher cards.

Power efficiency is notably improved with each generation. Ampere is better than Turing, is better than Pascal. Not exact, but Ampere is ball park 2x as efficient as Pascal. Better efficiency = better profit. More GPUs = more profit potential. If you have the capital, it scales that simply. As long as crypto value remains high enough to make small scale mining profitable, many GPUs will be going to mining. If it dips, then that could reduce the pressure to only those who are in it long term vs short term.

BTW I just crunched the numbers since I may have to declare my mining income to the tax man. My mining income this year so far, of which I've only been active for about 4 months, is near enough £1000. The bulk of this is 3070, 2080 Ti, 2070, with some Pascal era cards added in when I wanted more heating. It is hard for me to give an exact running cost since I turn GPUs on and off depending on what else I'm doing, and this is strictly on the side for me. Worst case GPU only electricity cost assuming I ran all Pascal era GPUs and faster is 25% of my income.

Well the eVGA auto notify is still working after all. I signed up for the 3060 and received my email this afternoon. My daughter's computer could use a new card so I picked it up. Time info below for reference.

12G-P5-3657-KR 2/28/2021 10:56:07 AM PT

Is 700 bucks for a 3060ti any good? 12GB?

I'm on vacation in Marseille and there's a shop where they have them at that price. (Of course I KNOW that's what a 3080 is supposed to go for... if one could be found.)

I never knew what the 3060 was retailing for...

That depends on what you are getting. The 3060 is an 12GB card and is generally considered to be good for up to 2560 x 1440. The launch price was $329 though very few actually got it at that price. The 3060Ti is an 8GB card and considered good up to 3840 x 2160 and had a launch price of $399. Don't let the extra ram of the 3060 fool you. The 3060 Ti is a better card all around with the exception of a few apps that can utilize the extra ram (most don't).

$700 is a bit steep at this time as we are seeing prices drop and more cards showing up at retailers (mostly AMD though). Obviously, any purchase above MSRP will be a personal judgment if it is worth it to you or not.

Capitalism at its worst.

That depends on what you are getting. The 3060 is an 12GB card and is generally considered to be good for up to 2560 x 1440. The launch price was $329 though very few actually got it at that price. The 3060Ti is an 8GB card and considered good up to 3840 x 2160 and had a launch price of $399. Don't let the extra ram of the 3060 fool you. The 3060 Ti is a better card all around with the exception of a few apps that can utilize the extra ram (most don't).

$700 is a bit steep at this time as we are seeing prices drop and more cards showing up at retailers (mostly AMD though). Obviously, any purchase above MSRP will be a personal judgment if it is worth it to you or not.

Yeah I had no idea what the MSRP was. There's no chance in hell of me paying DOUBLE that. So thanks!

It was just my first time even seeing a 3060 card.

I'm really an off-the-shelf kinda guy. Got my 2060 Super, X-Box Series X, and PS5... all off the shelf. All retail or less. I'll do the same with my next video card.

Back