• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Ampere missing one feature from Turing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

Just a heads up to everyone nVidia is back up to it's old tricks again; they really are a disgrace. It's true what they say, you can have all the money in the world but you can't buy class; Jensun is a true spiv. Ampere is worse than Turning. nVlink on RTX 2070 Super, 2080, 2080TI allows you pool the memory on two cards together to get 16GB or 22GB for applications. Not so now on the RTX 3080. They push you to buy the Turing (RTX) Titan replacement RTX 3090...Before the nVidia fanboys start foaming at the mouth, I currently have an Inno 3D iChill X3 GTX 1070...

Thanks
Haider

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Wow, such vitriol. :-/

I don't know what I could use all that VRAM for (certainly not gaming in most cases). This doesn't bother me, personally. What are some uses of pooling RAM for gaming? I see some for compute, but, are people really using these for compute? What am I missing.

DaveB

Somebody needs to get a grip. Anyone reading any of the available info knows the new nVidia cards are a very impressive upgrade from the current gen and any AMD GPUs. And these types of performance improvements are hard to come by these days.

BugFreak

So are you saying I should buy two 2xxx series cards over one 3xxx? Who would do that?! This whole post makes no sense to me.

OP
H

Haider

Wow, such vitriol. :-/

I don't know what I could use all that VRAM for (certainly not gaming in most cases). This doesn't bother me, personally. What are some uses of pooling RAM for gaming? I see some for compute, but, are people really using these for compute? What am I missing.

Namely data could be everything for my higher resolution textures, instead of 8 bits per channel for colour how about 10 or 12 bit. More bits used requires more memory...These are personal computer cards not workstation or console or server cards

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You need a balance with ram for storage and processing to process said data...
True, but, SLI/CFx, the memory doesn't pool in the first place, it is mirrored. So in that light, you don't double the available memory pool. Did this change?

I can't think of but maybe a game or two that can use more than 8GB at 4K resolution. Surely some titles allow mods... maybe that is what you are getting at??? Are you not talking games? I'm confused at the vague rant in the first post a bit........

These are personal computer cards not workstation or console or server cards
Indeed. So why would anyone need so much RAM in the first place?

OP
H

Haider

True, but, SLI/CFx, the memory doesn't pool in the first place, it is mirrored. So in that light, you don't double the available memory pool.

Are you not talking games? I'm confused at the vague rant in the first post a bit........

Any application can pool memory over NVLink as long as it's programmed to do so. I play games and program since my Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, 486 PC onwards. Parents were strict on ensuring I learnt how to use a computer; the stick was no games otherwise...

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Any application can pool memory over NVLink as long as it's programmed to do so. I play games and program since my Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, 486 PC onwards. Parents were strict on ensuring I learnt how to use a computer; the stick was no games otherwise...
Cool... but SLI/CFx for games, cannot, correct? It always used to be mirrored.

Sorry this effects you and they seemed to have separated the gaming vs workstation capabilities further.

OP
H

Haider

True, but, SLI/CFx, the memory doesn't pool in the first place, it is mirrored. So in that light, you don't double the available memory pool. Did this change?

I can't think of but maybe a game or two that can use more than 8GB at 4K resolution. Surely some titles allow mods... maybe that is what you are getting at??? Are you not talking games? I'm confused at the vague rant in the first post a bit........

Indeed. So why would anyone need so much RAM in the first place?
More memory better quality textures. We've been on 8 bits x 3 channels (RGB) + 8 bit alpha channel (transparency value). 8 bit per channel equals 16.7M colours. We should be in billions of colours and more detailed textures, HiFi textures. For processing data. I've been learning how to program GPUs via Cuda 8GB is limiting. Now looks like I might as well get two RTX 2070 Super and use NVLink to have 16GB.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
More memory better quality textures. We've been on 8 bits x 3 channels (RGB) + 8 bit alpha channel (transparency value). 8 bit per channel equals 16.7M colours. We should be in billions of colours and more detailed textures, HiFi textures. For processing data. I've been learning how to program GPUs via Cuda 8GB is limiting. Now looks like I might as well get two RTX 2070 Super and use NVLink to have 16GB.
Great... but ultra is ultra is ultra... unless the game has mods for higher textures. This rant is not applicable to gaming it seems, my man.

Yeah, get 2 2070s...seems for your particular uses, that would be better. For those who do not use a GPU as you, it doesn't really matter.

OP
H

Haider

Doesn't change the fact that multi GPU setups rarely scale well...
Thats' down to programming. I have seen servers using 8 Tesla cards to run a single program. Nothing to do with GPU scaling. Most drivers in a F1 car would just spin the car and lose control, give it to some who is competent in driving and they lap any road car. It's the driver to blame not the car.

OP
H

Haider

Cool... but SLI/CFx for games, cannot, correct? It always used to be mirrored.

Sorry this effects you and they seemed to have separated the gaming vs workstation capabilities further.

Games are just another program nothing special. As long as the game is written to pool it's memory over NVLink then it can. It's upto the programmer to enable it. Actually it's a one line directive that basically says pool memory...

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

So are you saying I should buy two 2xxx series cards over one 3xxx? Who would do that?! This whole post makes no sense to me.

Absolutely. I was thinking of getting Ampere card but now will either get dual EVGA 2070 Super FTW cards or ASUS ROG 2070 Strix OC or a set of dual RTX 2080 TI EVGA FTW or the ROG Strix. Apparently the NVLink bridge on the 2080, 2080TI and RTX Titan is clocked at the same speed so memory transfers are quicker. The 2070 Super NVLink bridge is clocked slower, so takes longer to transfer data over the NVLink bridge.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Games are just another program nothing special. As long as the game is written to pool it's memory over NVLink then it can. It's upto the programmer to enable it. Actually it's a one line directive that basically says pool memory...
Maybe it is that easy, but games aren't doing it is the underlying point. :thup:

So, again, this rant is only applicable outside of gaming, correct?

Here's a good article for you, Haider - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-to-support-nvlink-only-for-rtx-3090

Last edited:

dfonda

Senior Golfer
So this applies to to the 5 folks who still SLI? Thankfully I am not one of them..I never bothered with Sli...

Absolutely. I was thinking of getting Ampere card but now will either get dual EVGA 2070 Super FTW cards or ASUS ROG 2070 Strix OC or a set of dual RTX 2080 TI EVGA FTW or the ROG Strix. Apparently the NVLink bridge on the 2080, 2080TI and RTX Titan is clocked at the same speed so memory transfers are quicker. The 2070 Super NVLink bridge is clocked slower, so takes longer to transfer data over the NVLink bridge.

Also no one should be buying even one 2080 Ti' at this point let alone two..Get one 3090 with 24 GB of memory.

Last edited:

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
So this applies to to the 5 folks who still SLI? Thankfully I am not one of them..I never bothered with Sli...

Also no one should be buying even one 2080 Ti' at this point let alone two..Get one 3090 with 24 GB of memory.
Agreed, at least until prices end up sub-500 and for the very specific use case that OP spoke of

mackerel

Only just saw this. The memory pooling over nvlink I took to be more useful for some creative uses. They're less demanding than gaming on bandwidth, but depending on what you're doing, could use the quantity.

Also while we're operating on rumours, AMD is supposedly going higher vram on some of their to be announced cards, and nvidia has another wave waiting in the wings to counter that. There may be some higher vram options in the not too distant future. Still not two cards, but if you get double a single card on a single card, would that suffice?