• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia cards running in 2d mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

Hey folks,

I just noticed my 285s are running in 2d mode while crunching, I'm assuming the lower clocks = less ppd?

Is there a workaround for that at all?

nzaneb

What are you using to determine 2D mode? According to GPU-Z mine are crunching using 3D clocks. I haven't used any "work around", are you on the latest drivers and client?

freeagent

Is your system stock or oced? the newer drivers seem sensitive.. Ive had my clocks drop to 2d ingame a few times due to minor instabilitys, either from the gpu clocks, or nb-v or even dram-v. Sensitive...

OP
cjc_75

cjc_75

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I was a bit short of info there , here it is:

Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia 191.07
Boinc 6.10.3 and I used the unified installer for optimized

The cards and CPU are stock speeds, running on 6 of 8 cpu cores.

CPU-z for my "current" settings while crunching, 3d looks like it should be 690/1552/1300:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.3 KB · Views: 546

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
They shouldnt be. Reboot.

I have ad this happen to me a couple of times at stock clocks on my card. Not sure why its like that though to be honest. And only a reboot would take care of it. This is across 191.xx+ drivers.

Sir-Epix

They shouldnt be. Reboot.

I have ad this happen to me a couple of times at stock clocks on my card. Not sure why its like that though to be honest. And only a reboot would take care of it. This is across 191.xx+ drivers.

I second the reboot. Every now and again my 260GTX drops to 400 Mhz core, and the only way to fix it is a reboot. I used to think it was due to stress from an overclock and going back down to "safe" speeds; however, it has now done it twice at stock speeds.

OP
cjc_75

cjc_75

Well, I guess I'm flat out of CUDA work, so that might be one problem lol, I'm quite positive that I did have some last night when i checked it. I will update when I manage to get some more.

I can't ever get enough WU's to last more than a day or so, kind of too bad.

Sir-Epix

Sorry to hear that I usually keep ~1000 work units or so stored in my cache... did you bump up your work buffer up to 10 days?

This is under the preference tab -> network usage.

OP
cjc_75

cjc_75

I keep my buffer up at 10 days but its never even close to enough. CPU work seems to be enough but certainly not the GPU ones.

TaCoSwInDeZ

You guys aren't the only ones who are having trouble getting enough WU's to last. My machine wont download more than a half-days worth even though ive set all my settings to 1 day or more and I use Verizon wireless DSL shared between me and my sis who live next door so my machine isn't connected 24/7.

nzaneb

I keep my buffer up at 10 days but its never even close to enough. CPU work seems to be enough but certainly not the GPU ones.

I'm not quite sure how they calculate estimated CUDA WU completion times, but I think the CPU might be involved if you're using the CPU as well.

My two big crunchers, never seem to have problems grabbing enough CUDA work (2- 260's on a Q6600 and 3 -285's on an i7 920), but my single 260 on a P4 is always short (as you described) I've been running a test on that rig (with or without CPU computation) The results have yet to even out, but I do notice a problem. When crunching on the CPU as well, the estimated CUDA WU times are extremely skewed (As in over 5 hours estimated, for a 15 minute WU) This is the same (or very close to it) completion time given to the CPU MB WU's. This shoots the 10 day cache in foot, as it only estimates that I need between 40-50 CUDA WU's for that time period. Those WU's, really only last 10 hours or so. When crunching on just the GPU, I don't have the estimation problem. However I noticed my RAC ran short, when compared to, sharing-the-CPU style crunching. So I opted for the increased RAC, for that rig. You mentioning this, makes me want to figure out exactly what's going on with that rig though. There might be a hidden factor at work, in the estimated WU times of the shared-CPU optimizations.

OP
cjc_75

cjc_75

Sorry to bring this thread back up

nzaneb- I saw one of you rigs is packing 3x285's, is the 1050W PSU in your sig the only thing pushing them?

Im thinking about adding a 3rd card ( another 285 or maybe 260) to this one but I wasn't sure if my Corsair HX1000W would be enough.

The XfX site says the 285s need 650W each..but everything seems fine so far, I think thats a bit of fudge factor they put in there.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That corsair would run a 4th of those cards...

The 650W number is for the entire SYSTEM. Those cards dont use but 150-180W or so each at 100% use.

QuietIce

Disabled
I guess I misread that lol. Thanks for the quick reply :)
You're not the first to miss that important footnote about it being the whole system. Don't know why the darn reviewers can't measure power with and without the card then do some very simple arithmetic to come up with the card power draw but what can you do ... :-/