• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia drivers just installed Vulkan (API) what does this do for us.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

The new Nvidia drivers just installed Vulkan (API) what does this do for us. I did read wiki, does Nvidia not like DX12.

Everybody should be supporting Vulcan.
The way Microsoft is treating DX12 and their past anti-consumer policies make Vulcan very attractive.

Last edited:
Vulkan is AMD's baby Wingy. They are supporting that effort... its not that they don;t like DX12.

Id also rather have Vulkan hands down per Soulcatcher's reasons.

As far as what it does for us now.. not much as there is what one title out that is DX12/Vulkan?

Vulkan is AMD's baby Wingy. They are supporting that effort... its not that they don;t like DX12.

Id also rather have Vulkan hands down per Soulcatcher's reasons.

As far as what it does for us now.. not much as there is what one title out that is DX12/Vulkan?

I think it is a little deeper than AMD. AMD released control of Mantle to Khronos

Khronos group built Vulkan from Mantle but it is not the same. Valve is a contributing member of Khronos and driving force behind it.
It is no secret that Gabe is not a fan of Microsoft.

What Vulkan will need is widespread adoption by big players like the Activision/Blizzard conglomerate.

either would be needed if more dev's made OGL engines... i dont know of any games lately that use a OGL based engine, last one was from rage. i could be wrong since i dont keep up with games any more, all seem the same stuff rehashed over and over. any way, OGL based games from what i have noticed in the past, is better IQ and fps over DX titles. that is games that support both ogl and DX, homeworld comes to mind. while an old game and for some it wont look that impressive, if you look at both in game of the ships close up. OGL vs DX, OGL is so much better looking and ran so much better.

with alll this open source this, open source that and who is supporting open source. why have so many game dev's for windows, ditch OGL based games in favor of the shoved down your throat DX.

Back