• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia drivers: no more support for SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
From the article you have linked.....
With the emergence of low level graphics APIs such as DirectX 12 and Vulkan, game developers are able to implement SLI support natively within the game itself instead of relying upon a SLI driver profile. The expertise of the game developer within their own code allows them to achieve the best possible performance from multiple GPUs. As a result, NVIDIA will no longer be adding new SLI driver profiles on RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs starting on January 1st, 2021. Instead, we will focus efforts on supporting developers to implement SLI natively inside the games. We believe this will provide the best performance for SLI users.

OP
M

magellan

But what does that mean? Does that mean that nvidia's drivers DON'T support SLI at all anymore?

I've also read that DX12 doesn't support SLI, but people were using it with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

If Nvidia's drivers no longer support SLI at all I'm not going to go to the trouble of shoving two 1080Ti's in my case for nothing.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

If the game supports SLI, it will work. It is GAME dependent, not driver dependent (requires profile in driver) as it used to be.

OP
M

magellan

Thanks Earthdog. Before I went to 1080ti's I had been considering an SLI setup with my 980Ti's -- until I saw the power drawn and the heat generated. Now, with the GPUpocalypse still going on and having two 1080ti's on hand maybe I will give SLI a shot since some people have managed to get Metro Exodus, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Metro: Last Light to work well with SLI. Getting Metro: Exodus working with SLI apparently requires hex editing the .exe's. Someone said they've got Control to work with SLI as well (using the Watch dogs profile). I even have some SLI cables somewhere.