• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
$4k for lasik is crazy, around here lasik only cost $1300 per eye
Anyway, it interesting to read about new tech and stuff but since i'm playing game on 2 42" TV so i'll stick to my 3 GTX 580 classified hydro copper 3gb for another year or 2, no need to upgrade to new fancy toy yet :D

I am still waiting to see can it SLI with GTX 680 after a bios flash.

if it can, and results are good, (better than SLI with another 680) I know what I need to do next. :p muahahahaha

I am still waiting to see can it SLI with GTX 680 after a bios flash.

if it can, and results are good, (better than SLI with another 680) I know what I need to do next. :p muahahahaha

Flashed the GTX680 with my edited GTX770 BIOS, but it's not shown as a GTX770. See identical BIOS versions below... I think I need to get the GTX680 to be recognized as a GTX770 before SLI could be possible (if it's possible).

Capture.PNG

My bet is that it has something to do with the device ID being different, that it won't register as a 770, even with the BIOS.

Do you guys know why there are no reference 770s around yet? I've only found models with improved coolers like Windforce 3X and ACX.

AFAIK, only Inno3D has a reference 770 with the 780/Titan-like cooler.

PS: the 4GB version of the Gigabyte is out. Hope someone review it...

My bet is that it has something to do with the device ID being different, that it won't register as a 770, even with the BIOS.

You could potentially fix that with a soldering iron. The thread explains where the resistors that control the PCI ID are and how to modify them to make them state they are a Quadro card. I am pretty sure you could modify one of those to go from 1180 (GTX680) to 1184 (GTX770).

AFAIK, only Inno3D has a reference 770 with the 780/Titan-like cooler.

PS: the 4GB version of the Gigabyte is out. Hope someone review it...
the amount of cram will only make a difference in multimonitor setups or perhaps 2560x1600.

the amount of cram will only make a difference in multimonitor setups or perhaps 2560x1600.

The 770 2gb seems lagging behind the 7970GE in some tests at 1440p.
I would like to see if the 4gb version performs better or the difference in performance is not VRAM-driven.

I read somewhere (Anand or TPU, can't remember) that with new consoles sporting a lot of RAM, games might start to consume more memory as most times they are console ports. Obviously this is speculation and just a rumor, but what's your opinion on that ED?

Flashed the GTX680 with my edited GTX770 BIOS, but it's not shown as a GTX770. See identical BIOS versions below... I think I need to get the GTX680 to be recognized as a GTX770 before SLI could be possible (if it's possible).

So I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but I have a feeling you would get better results with flashing the 770 to look like a 680 instead.

Wouldnt the device ID still be the problem though? I see where you are coming from for memory/core speeds, but the problem seems to be the device ID (which I think is editable?).

I read somewhere (Anand or TPU, can't remember) that with new consoles sporting a lot of RAM, games might start to consume more memory as most times they are console ports. Obviously this is speculation and just a rumor, but what's your opinion on that ED?
Only time will tell. Sounds plausible, but at the same time, I dont think a lack of ram was an issue on consoles, so not sure what more would do for it, or how that could translate to a GPU. Remember, consoles are 'catching up' to PC's not leading them GPU wise/graphical wise.

The only thing different in the original and my edited BIOSes was the uneditable boost tables and the Device/Vendor IDs.

I tried editing the Device ID on my pre-edited BIOS with NiBiTor, but that's an older program that doesn't recognize anything on the new cards except for the Device ID, Vendor ID, and stuff like that. The GTX680 was still recognized as a GTX680 after that flash as well.

There's nothing wrong with trying to go the other way with the BIOS flash, I'll try that when I'm able, but I'll be out of town this weekend.

Back