• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Disappointed at the performance at the price point across what is out there in the market. At stock the 770 does hang with the 7970 with synthetic benchmarks, it falls behind with the games, no surprise there.

Excuse me if I'm saying something stupid here, I'm pretty new to benchmarking and stuff but I've been doing some research. Seeing as you're pretty much an expert on this stuff, I feel kind of annoyed that I'm doubting you but every Benchmark I've found, comes up with the 770 outperforming the the 7970 in games at both 1080p and 2560x1600 at stock speeds. Is there something I'm missing?

I think that the 770 does out-preform the 7970. But that's just in the benchmarks i've seen. I also think that it being a generation above the 7970 should surely destroy the 7970. But it doesn't really, it just beats it a little. I would buy a 7970 over a 770, any day of the week. Just because it's so beast. It doesn't have to be the best on the market in my opinion, but honestly who needs more then a 7970. Unless you're into some heavy stuff. *end of ramble*

Excuse me if I'm saying something stupid here, I'm pretty new to benchmarking and stuff but I've been doing some research. Seeing as you're pretty much an expert on this stuff, I feel kind of annoyed that I'm doubting you but every Benchmark I've found, comes up with the 770 outperforming the the 7970 in games at both 1080p and 2560x1600 at stock speeds. Is there something I'm missing?

We actually re-tested our HD 7970 used in this review because of some anomalous results (HD 7970 was too high). We recently published those results here. The $400 HD 7970 (a year-and-a-half old GPU) and the $400 GTX 770 are neck-and-neck, with the HD 7970 coming out slightly better in more games and benchmarks.

They're both priced where they perform. I guess Brolloks was hoping for either better performance at the same price point or a lower price point.

Hokie, I'll let you know how performance scales with upcoming driver releases :thup:

Thanks guys, because of my bad experiences with AMD cards in the past, equal specs for an equal price means I'll roll with the green team for once.

Updated this article with the data from our HD 7970 Gaming Benchmark Results Update.

The updated results aren't different enough to change my thoughts or conclusions about the GTX770.

EDIT: I haven't been able to try to the 770-to-680 flash to see if it works better than the 680-to-770 flash I already tried. Once I got back home after that weekend away at the beginning of the month, my PC wouldn't boot and it turned out to be bad RAM slots on the motherboard. So, the M5G has been shipped to ASUS for RMA since 6/3. No clue how long it will take to get it back.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I decided to make this post with some overclocking results of my GTX770. I'd love to compare and contrast other individual's results overclocking this card to see where I stand against others, and visa versa.

Note: I've had the AC on so this might tweak the results slightly, as this keeps my ambient at a 72-74°F range.

So far I've been keeping steady with a +140mhz core offset, which is a 13% increase above the stock 1046mhz. With boost I'm showing a steady 1254mhz on the core total according to eVGA Precision and GPUz.

As for the ram, I'm not sure if the overclock on my GPU's core is preventing me from getting any higher but it's stable at a +325mhz offset giving it a total of 7660mhz. But I've know its feasible to get closer to 8ghz or beyond, but that didn't help benchies too much to my knowledge and it wasn't passing (eg crashing) at >350.

I've verified these results using simple bench marking tests to check stability as well as eVGA's artifact scanner stresser. At these settings neither is crashing or producing artifacts. I could probably push it slightly higher, but I'm trying to keep my GPU <75º. It could handle hotter, but I'd prefer to keep it on the cool side.

Summary:
eVGA GTX770 ACX Edition
Core: 1254mhz
Mem: 7660mhz

Last edited:
Back