• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA GeForce "Pascal" 3-way and 4-way SLI Restricted to Select Non-Gaming Apps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You have a new avatar every other week, LOL

Meh, this affects so few people... can't say I care much. I do understand for those few people that run such a setup would be upset though.

cdawall

Meh, this affects so few people... can't say I care much. I do understand for those few people that run such a setup would be upset though.

And the 1 person with this setup will just have to wait for DX12 and vulcan. Problem solved.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

This one is prettier :clap:

Fair enough that its only a very small percentage that have more then 2 GPU's, but the complete removal of support ? Would DX12/Vulkan compensate for it ?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i would rather see better scaling with SLI in 2 way then worrying about using 3-4 cards. granted i dont know the way they are handling it i do think the method of info being on both cards bogs down any real gains we could see. as in each card drawing a section of the scene vs both having all the info of the whole scene. if they did this that would mean better scalling even up to 3-4 way as then each card would have a smaller % of the over all picture to draw, instead of drawing the whole thing, then messing together.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I thought this was old news already?? Seem to recall it in the main 1080 thread.

Vellinious

3 and 4 way SLI scaling has always been terrible anyway.....the only real point in it is for benching or crunching.

This is a non-issue in my mind.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I thought this was old news already?? Seem to recall it in the main 1080 thread.

I thought we only knew that 3-4 way SLI was going to be restricted and you'd have to register your card(s) with nVidia to get the 'SLI registration key' thing, but I didn't know it was limited to non-gaming applications.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I thought we only knew that 3-4 way SLI was going to be restricted and you'd have to register your card(s) with nVidia to get the 'SLI registration key' thing, but I didn't know it was limited to non-gaming applications.
this is what I recall as well. This is new AFAIK.