• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to ATI = format?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bRiCe

Here is my current configuration

8rda+
256 pc2100 (took place of broken pc3200 :( )
amd 2400 running at 2.54ghz on slk900/tornado 92mm
nvidia gf3 ti500
wd 7200 8mg cache 80 gig

im upgrading to
512 megs of corsair xms pc 3200 (i know this will not be a problem)
and a radeon 9800 pro from saphire......

i was going to format which is no problem for me cause i have windows and cd keys and stuff, but i dont have blank disks to save the 70 gigs of stuff that i have accumulated in the last 3-4 months without a format.

My question is wether a format is really nessisary when goning from an nvidia card to ati card or if i simply can uninstall the drivers and be fine u think.

=ACID RAIN=

Uninstall the nvidia crap in the add/remove programs panel, and then grab driver cleaner ( http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ ) and make sure it's clean. After that, crack the case open and install the card and you're good to go :)

I did this myself two weeks ago, so rest assured it's ok. It would suck to lose 70 gigs of crap, maybe next time you'll partition the drive so you have an OS partition and a junk partition ;)

L337 M33P

The procedure for my upgrade was simple:

1) Uninstall Detonators using add/remove programs
2) Reboot with crummy refresh/default drivers
3) Download & run Detonator RIP or Det Destroyer - http://www.guru3d.com/
4) Install shiny new ATi card, power on with default drivers
5) Install Cat 3.xx

No problemo :)

supergenius74

it depends

it depends, what version of windows? win2k/xp swaps vid cards without any problems, i have done it a 100 times, but win98 can be a ***** sometimes and a format is better for it I think.

snyper1982

i came from nv to ati, had a lot of problems, format solved them. install it, if you have problems then format. cant hurt to try.

Andy71600

i came from nv to ati with no problems at all. I just uninstalled teh dets and used driver cleaner.