• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to pay out for class action for 970 vram fiasco

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Manufactured in and where the company is based out of can be two differenthings things... as you see. :)

True. I was referring to engineering and design. Just about every "major" bit of electronic doodad is either manufactured in China or made with Chinese components. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant an iffy product? Japanese tech giants are now making their stuff in China. LOL

I was referring to china's slave labor at a vary vary low cost:eh?:, and wanting to have the base companies design motherboards here in the USA so they can be sued.

I was referring to china's slave labor at a vary vary low cost:eh?:, and wanting to have the base companies design motherboards here in the USA so they can be sued.

vary
verb \ˈver-ē\
Simple Definition of vary
: to be different or to become different
: to make (something) different : to make changes to (something) so that it is not always the same
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vary

very
adjective \ˈver-ē, ˈve-rē\
Simple Definition of very
—used to emphasize that you are talking about one specific thing or part and not another
: not having anything added or extra
—used to emphasize that something belongs to or is part of a particular person or thing
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/very

I was referring to china's slave labor at a very very low cost:eh?:, and wanting to have the base companies design motherboards here in the USA so they can be sued.

I really haven't come across a reason to want to sue motherboard MFG honestly...or have the ability to do so (wait, we can't bring them to court???!) for that matter. Not sure I'd file it under the 'wouldn't it be nice' category even, LOL!

Such a litigious nation we have become.

The USA has always been litigious we are only protected with are constitutions and civil laws and if any case does not merit the lawsuit it will be thrown out by the court, we strive for perfection so we don't get sued. Out of all the countries that can sue Australia, Canada, France, Japan, U.K the USA is the number one rated county to live in also move to.

Mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit 1992 was it to hot to spill on your lap and cause burns, yes they changed the temperature.

Because the last thing I want when I order hot coffee is-hot coffee. The woman in the McDonald's suit put a paper cup full of hot liquid between her thighs and proceeded to pull out in to traffic in a car. She should have had that suit thrown out on merit. I can only hope it caused enough damage to keep her from reproducing.

Because the last thing I want when I order hot coffee is-hot coffee. The woman in the McDonald's suit put a paper cup full of hot liquid between her thighs and proceeded to pull out in to traffic in a car. She should have had that suit thrown out on merit. I can only hope it caused enough damage to keep her from reproducing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

I wouldn't wish what happened to her on anyone. She was 79 years old, how would you feel if your grandma borrowed your car and went to get coffee, your car didn't have cup holders and she accidentally spilled close to boiling temperature water (coffee) directly into her lap and received third degree burns requiring skin grafts.

There's literally no reason for coffee to be served at 190F.

Overall I agree that the USA is overly litigious. But the circumstances of the situation above are awful, and McDonalds could have gotten by a lot easier if they settled for the much much smaller sum that they kept refusing.

OK, I was a little harsh about the "victim". When I pay $1 for lousy coffee at 6 AM I at least want it hot. There is also the issue with all cooked food products reaching a temperature to kill any bacteria, especially in a fast food environment (have you seen who they hire? They can't even get "You want fries with that?" right). I want at least 165F, and the difference between 165F and 190F when some idiot pours it in their lap isn't all that relevant. She had the intellectual wherewithal to get in her car, navigate to a drive through, function well enough to order, pay for, and take delivery of the hot coffee she wanted, then did everything she could to achieve a tragic result. Sorry, I don't believe she was entitled to anything but the hard lesson she learned.

As a side note, the proper way to make coffee is to use water heated to just below boiling. It tastes better. McDonald's made the coffee right.

Totally agree with you. A little common sense goes a long way. I bet every single one of the morning coffee drinkers here has spilled coffee in their lap before. Anybody else sue?

Just 10F means the difference from 3 degree burns to to 2 degree burns, with a 3 degree bun there is no sweat gland, it is just like leather. The car was not moving she was the passenger and she just wanted the money for the skin graft surgery.
Mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit 1992

Doesn't matter what temp it is. You already know hot coffee is hot. Take some extra care. She obviously didn't do that.

The USA has always been litigious we are only protected with are constitutions and civil laws and if any case does not merit the lawsuit it will be thrown out by the court, we strive for perfection so we don't get sued. Out of all the countries that can sue Australia, Canada, France, Japan, U.K the USA is the number one rated county to live in also move to.

Mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit 1992 was it to hot to spill on your lap and cause burns, yes they changed the temperature.
Sometimes I wish I lived in a world with blissful ignorance as my guide...

As a general rule, I don't squeeze flexible containers of hot liquid between my thighs in traffic, but I have certainly spilled things in my lap while driving. The only reward I sought was not taking out a carload of innocent people due to my screw up. I once dropped a lit cigarette while wearing gym shorts, while driving. I stood up on the gas pedal, and a Three Stooges Driving Demonstration ensued, climaxing with a telephone pole. Fortunately I was on a rural Oklahoma road at 1 AM and nobody else was around. It never occurred to me to sue R.J. Reynolds. Lit cigarettes are hot and don't belong in my shorts. I just assume the risks are similar with hot liquids.

I'm willing to entertain the notion that I expect too much of my fellow man. That is a character trait of mine and has led to judging unfairly at times. I would consider it a flaw at times, but didn't everybody learn about hot things as a child?
I guess this sums it up for me.

this.jpg

Last edited:
It's irrelevant.
It should have been thrown out of court.
Failure to use due care. She knew she was buying a hot drink.

If her legs melted off it still wouldn't be McDonald's fault. Once she paid for it and left it was her responsibility. Making them liable for my behavior after I leave starts to give them rights regarding my behavior after I leave. No thank you.

It's a documentary you did not even watch the facts. On what grounds should it have been thrown out of court? it's a lawsuit to protect people, like seat belts. You don gain rights from a lawsuit.

Last edited:
Back