• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to release 2080 (1180) at GTC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
performance close to 1080Ti so knowing Nvidia logic, price close to 1080Ti :p

Let's hope they start at mrsp and I might upgrade and sell my current 1080 :D, sadly there are no waterblocks available for my gpu and a FE 2080 might just be perfect for a EK fluidgaming set.

I'm not a fan of companies making $500-$1000 GPUs "obsolete" every year or so. I understand market driven progress, but I suspect the wrong end of the market is driving the GPU situation. LOL

Just to upset every gamer out there: will the gaming card mine well?

I can't think of a way that nVidia would be able to prevent the card from being able to mine. The mining algorithms just use the same architecture/hardware that everything else uses for computation (cuda cores/gpu/memory/etc)

I'm not a fan of companies making $500-$1000 GPUs "obsolete" every year or so. I understand market driven progress, but I suspect the wrong end of the market is driving the GPU situation. LOL

How is previous generation obsolete? They design and start producing a new product and need production capacity to produce these new products, why would they continue a old product that's inferior to the new product at the cost of capacity of the new one? They offer support for the old product still for quite some time even though it's declared end of life. Try the smartphone market, it's far worse there. They do not force you to buy this new product either.

How is previous generation obsolete? They design and start producing a new product and need production capacity to produce these new products, why would they continue a old product that's inferior to the new product at the cost of capacity of the new one? They offer support for the old product still for quite some time even though it's declared end of life. Try the smartphone market, it's far worse there. They do not force you to buy this new product either.

I did put "obsolete" in quotation marks. If they aren't making it, it isn't current. From the dictionary:
of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date:
and
verb (used with object), obsoleted, obsoleting.
to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better;

That's pure speculation and I doubt they will with the reasons supplied in the article. Imo the €550 I paid for my 1080 was already high enough. People will just move to lower end cards or buy used cards from enthusiasts. The bulk of sales usually comes from the casual gamer not the enthusiast, which if they have to buy at premium prices are more likely to skip a generation of gpu which is a lost customer or move to the competition, hence we need and or a new graphic card manufacturer in the market. Which will happen if prices stack up high enough.

Can you say bad words here? :mad:
1000usd msrp??! I don't make that kind of money to purchase such uogrades!!:(

That's pure speculation and I doubt they will with the reasons supplied in the article. Imo the €550 I paid for my 1080 was already high enough. People will just move to lower end cards or buy used cards from enthusiasts. The bulk of sales usually comes from the casual gamer not the enthusiast, which if they have to buy at premium prices are more likely to skip a generation of gpu which is a lost customer or move to the competition, hence we need and or a new graphic card manufacturer in the market. Which will happen if prices stack up high enough.

..but that's the problem. It's not the gamers that are buying the cards.

We should all donate parts and make our in-house brand. I have a few ram sticks we can reuse and an old Nvidia card. what else do our OCF engineers need?

We should all donate parts and make our in-house brand. I have a few ram sticks we can reuse and an old Nvidia card. what else do our OCF engineers need?

Not sure how that's going to get us a competitive graphics card unless you're an alchemist?

Back