• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVME to PCIE adaptors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karlos103

Registered
Hi all
I have an Asus Dark Hero VIII X570 motherboard , AMD 5900X cpu , 3080 graphics card.
I have 2 nvme m.2 drives installed on motherboard and 5 drives on the sata connectors.

Now what i wanted to know is can i install another M.2 drive via a NVME to PCIE adaptor without hurting the PCIE bus speeds ?
My graphics card is running at 16x ...but heard if install cards into other slots it drops speed to 8x
If this is possible , any recommendations on adaptors ?

Or it is just easier to get another standard SSD drive lol.
Any help most apprciated
Karl

IIRC, the bottom full-length slot run at least 4.0 x4, so you can use that as it connects to the chipset. Check the manual for how the slots are split...but the two full length reinforced slots (top 2 slots) connect through the cpu and break down as you mention. ;)

As far as easier, maybe... depends on your use for the drive... do you need these speeds for whatever is going on them?

Hi , thanks for reply.
So your saying the 3rd slot connects to chipset ...and first 2 to cpu ...so if i fit an adptor to the 3rd slot it wont cause any drop in speed to the 1st slot as its going through chipset ?
All new to me lol
Karl

Hi , thanks for reply.
So your saying the 3rd slot connects to chipset ...and first 2 to cpu ...so if i fit an adptor to the 3rd slot it wont cause any drop in speed to the 1st slot as its going through chipset ?
All new to me lol
Karl
Yep!

As i said ready, confirm by looking at specs and the manual.... ;)

Ive found this online
If that's the manual or spec page for your board, yep!

I dont know why you're showing me a chipset diagram though, lol. Again, it's in the specs for your board at the Asus website. It's also in the manual. I read the specs... just letting you know where to find the information for confirmation.

guessing it will drop gpu speed to 8x by that ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 21-01-02 E19368_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 21-01-02 E19368_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
No.

The primary graphics slot drops to x8 ONLY IF THERE IS A CARD IN THE SECOND SLOT (they are both CPU connected and share that x16 bandwidth). Since you're populating the bottom (THIRD) slot and the top/primary graphics slot only, it remains at x16 and the bottom slot remains at x4 (again, the bottom slot connects through the chipset lanes).

Well think I'm going to just get one off amazon… try it… if doesn't work them will send back lol 😆… soon know then.
Just bit baffling too me lol

Sorry… just getting very confused 😕 with it all… the last image was from the online manual… the other's off different sites but may not be right lol

The other image is a generic chipset diagram. It shows what the platform has to offer. Often motherboards split things up differently which is why it's best to look at specs and the manual.

I have link 🔗 to manual if anyone wants to take a look as I have no idea 💡 what to look at… cannot make head nor tail if it Lol 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
What I said is correct. I looked at the manual and specs page...specifically, look at the specs page, it tells you which comes from the PCIe slot and which from the chipset.

....where's your confusion??? :)

Last edited:
Thank you for checking for me… most appreciated… soon as I get it installed I'll let you know how it is… 😉

Well i have had delivery of adaptor and nvme drive and works spot on… no change to any of my drives and gpu…gpu still 16x and other nvme drives runing as were before… so very happy… thanks for the info… most appreciated…

TBH you shouldn't have to worry about it, Gen4.0x8 is plenty for the 3080. Dre8auer had a 4090 that would only run x8 after his voltage mods and the performance impact was only a few percentage points in benchmarks. He said it didn't really matter for real world applications even on the 4090, but then he bricked the card trying to fix it :cry:

TBH you shouldn't have to worry about it, Gen4.0x8 is plenty for the 3080. Dre8auer had a 4090 that would only run x8 after his voltage mods and the performance impact was only a few percentage points in benchmarks. He said it didn't really matter for real world applications even on the 4090, but then he bricked the card trying to fix it :cry:
Laughing at Der8's luck...oof!

Here's a link to an article showing just how little you'd lose going to x8 as Zer said.

Back