• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVMe VS SATA upgrade on an older machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so I still have my trusty old. green gorilla FX8320 machine. Its currently equipped with a 1Tb SATA SSD.
I am considering upgrading to a PCIe adapter NVMe SSD. Price on PCIe3.0 x4 drives is pretty good. Im thinking about either a 1 or 2 Tb.
I know it has much higher IOPS and about triple the bandwidth, but will I really be able to appreciate the improved speed on a machine this old?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Storage is ways your slowest part. That said the difference between a HDD to a sata SSD is markedly more than going from ssd to nvme/pcie m.2. There will be some improvements, but don't expect miracles on the butt dyno. :)

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

Since we are on the topic. What are your thoughts on NVMe RAID? I was considering it for my next build. I know that if I do though I will get a controller I hate messing with motherboard raid.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Useless to me. I don't work with large files frequently and it doesn't really benefit on the buttdyno otherwise. Still cool as hell to see big numbers, but if you aren't working with large files to make it worthwhile, I wouldn't.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
NVMe RAID is good if you want to use RAID1 or RAID10 and have a good RAID controller. RAID0 is pointless as not all operations are scaling and depends on the controller, low queue random operations can be even slower than on a single drive. Barely anyone needs really high sequential bandwidth (like 10GB/s+).
Generally, Intel solutions for desktop motherboards seem much better. I find AMD RAID on desktop motherboards unreliable. I was testing it in various ways on a couple of chipsets and there were always some problems. The software and drivers are also problematic. The last time RAID error on the X570 motherboard caused two Samsung 980 Pro SSD to lock with a corrupted device error and I had to send them to RMA as I couldn't do anything like erase cells, or clean it with diskpart or other tools. Drives were working in a small server at work (2 VM with one database application, nothing really serious as there was a backup). It was like half a year no problems and one day *poof* and it's dead. SSD were in RAID1 and data was lost on both of them.

If you want 2+ additional NVMe SSD as additional storage (not OS) then somehow I can even recommend Windows dynamic volumes. They work like RAID and you can move them to another PC, and should work once you bring them online. I wasn't testing it in more cases so I can't guarantee it will work every time.
On some chipsets, dynamic volumes work faster in random operations than RAID created with a software RAID controller.

Btw. I guess this thread should go to the storage section.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
While I can't speak for your RAID questions, I will say the jump from SATA to NVMe is substantial. In my review of the ADATA XPG ATOM 30 kit, which includes both a SATA drive and NVMe, there are direct comparisons between the two. The NVMe (Gen3) drive is 10 times faster not only in large file transfers (which is where you will notice the difference the most) but in every aspect (i.e. Seq read/write, RND4k Q32T16 R/W, etc.).

While the SSD will not improve the frames per second that all gamers crave, it will make the overall system faster. Boot times, game load times, and of course file transfer speed. In my opinion, it is a worthy upgrade for an aging system and will transfer over to your new build when you decide to build your next one.

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

If the motherboard supports both then of course NVMe is a better idea, especially in current prices.
Yeah I would need to get an NVMe to PCIe 3.0 card. My trusty old Sabertooth 990FX pre dates the M.2 format.