• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C AMD pride.. where's it at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
I look through the threads in this forum and find only 1 thread (mine) about A64. yet when i look at other popular message boards with computer enthusiasts being the main population, A64 threads are all over the place. how can this be possible?

You guys now have the fastest chips on the market and AMD just gave you a christmas present with the 3000+ A64 for half the price of the 3200+ yet still noone on O/C has any interest.

Are you stuck in the past? Expecting that any moment AMD will again release a 40 dollar chip that will blow the doors off anything? If you are waiting for a sub 100 dollar A64 you are going to be waiting for quite a while. I don't expect to see any slower A64s so the price will not be going down due to the manufacturer making slower versions. The steady downfall in price from introducing new models takes a while and its usually 20-40 dollars per drop once its around 200 dollars leaving the A64 150+ for the next 3-4 months at least.

What do you have to gain from this chip? check out the review at anandtech. in many tests a stock A64 3000+ 2ghz 200fsb beat or tied a stock 3.2ghz P4. almost all the game tests were a win for the A64 and many of the office tests were as well.

in a thread on xtremesystems someone pitted a 3000+ overclocked to 2.4 (400mhz oc) and a p4 to 4.2ghz and with a few slight variables the 2.4ghz A64 beat the 4.2ghz P4 by 600 points. 25,800 to 25,200. while there were a few things that could account for the gap the point is that a mildly overclocked 3000+ is able to match a very highly overclocked P4 step for step. i can only imagine a 3000+ on vapo or prommie around 2.8ghz.

in the past 2 years i've been a Intel fan big time and with good reason the P4 was stomping everything AMD could dish out. The AMD vs Intel threads were full of great debates, most heated at times. I sense no emotion from the AMD people here on OC forums. If an AMD vs Intel thread started here I'm not even sure that the A64 would even be brought up! It's a sad state indeed.

I guess what i'm trying to do is shake off the dust in here and get people to realize what they are missing out on. Is the socket 754 going to be around for very long? Who knows? Ed has mentioned that it may be going away but nobody knows for sure. If you want performance of a very high level for a relatively bargain price you should jump on the A64 bandwagon.

Maxvla

and thus ends my longest post in the AMD section :eek:
 

DaveB

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
I've posted quite a few times here and at the AMDMB forums about my A64 3200+ Setup. But, look, to be honest AMD fan boys are pretty cheap. They don't like paying over $100 for a CPU so they don't get interested in higher end stuff like the A64. I just sold mine, not because I didn't like it, but I'm looking to get a dual Opteron setup in the near future. IMO, the A64 is a really nice chip. I was using an Albatron K8X800 Pro II which I was very happy with.

BTW, I also had a P4 2.8C I ran at 3.5 GHz in an Abit IS7. Also really nice, but a tad slower than my A64 3200+ @ 2.26 GHz..
 

Skiing Squirrel

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Charlotte, NC
Maxvla said:
I look through the threads in this forum and find only 1 thread (mine) about A64. yet when i look at other popular message boards with computer enthusiasts being the main population, A64 threads are all over the place. how can this be possible?

You guys now have the fastest chips on the market and AMD just gave you a christmas present with the 3000+ A64 for half the price of the 3200+ yet still noone on O/C has any interest.

Are you stuck in the past? Expecting that any moment AMD will again release a 40 dollar chip that will blow the doors off anything? If you are waiting for a sub 100 dollar A64 you are going to be waiting for quite a while. I don't expect to see any slower A64s so the price will not be going down due to the manufacturer making slower versions. The steady downfall in price from introducing new models takes a while and its usually 20-40 dollars per drop once its around 200 dollars leaving the A64 150+ for the next 3-4 months at least.

What do you have to gain from this chip? check out the review at anandtech. in many tests a stock A64 3000+ 2ghz 200fsb beat or tied a stock 3.2ghz P4. almost all the game tests were a win for the A64 and many of the office tests were as well.

in a thread on xtremesystems someone pitted a 3000+ overclocked to 2.4 (400mhz oc) and a p4 to 4.2ghz and with a few slight variables the 2.4ghz A64 beat the 4.2ghz P4 by 600 points. 25,800 to 25,200. while there were a few things that could account for the gap the point is that a mildly overclocked 3000+ is able to match a very highly overclocked P4 step for step. i can only imagine a 3000+ on vapo or prommie around 2.8ghz.

in the past 2 years i've been a Intel fan big time and with good reason the P4 was stomping everything AMD could dish out. The AMD vs Intel threads were full of great debates, most heated at times. I sense no emotion from the AMD people here on OC forums. If an AMD vs Intel thread started here I'm not even sure that the A64 would even be brought up! It's a sad state indeed.

I guess what i'm trying to do is shake off the dust in here and get people to realize what they are missing out on. Is the socket 754 going to be around for very long? Who knows? Ed has mentioned that it may be going away but nobody knows for sure. If you want performance of a very high level for a relatively bargain price you should jump on the A64 bandwagon.

Maxvla

and thus ends my longest post in the AMD section :eek:

I feel like I was just interrogated! :p I am going to either upgrade to a socket 754 or 940. Actually I was going to make some decisions tonight, but my car is having problems, so my moneys might need to be diverted to that. We all know that there wont be anymore 40 dollar megaoverclocker chips (much to our dismay). You also have to remember the reason alot of us overclock is to get preformance because we can't always afford to upgrade. Another thing that might persuade alot of people to go to A64 is some solid info from microsoft about going 64 themselves such as release dates, prices, ect. 200 dollar chip+windows64=p4 crusher. If the 3200+ can beat/keep up with the fastest p4 in 32bit, Im sure it will just move in 64. Untill then... I guess alot of us will wait.
 

bulk88

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Location
NYC
First the A64s are only getting 20% overclocks (400 mhz), thats is low comparing it to certain AXPs. Second we won't be paying $200-$400 a cpu and get so little overclocking. Overclock/price is very low forA64, high for AXPs.
 

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
... to speculate on your question re 'the wait'... they all know Socket 939 is coming next year and are enjoing their super cheap Socket A's overclocked sky high until then.

They want a mobo San Diego and Toledo can fit in even if they're only be affordable 2 years from now.

Maybe more people here know what San Diego and Toledo are but I'm just guessing.
 
Last edited:
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
DaveB said:
I've posted quite a few times here and at the AMDMB forums about my A64 3200+ Setup. But, look, to be honest AMD fan boys are pretty cheap. They don't like paying over $100 for a CPU so they don't get interested in higher end stuff like the A64. I just sold mine, not because I didn't like, but I'm looking to get a dual Opteron setup in the near future. IMO, the A64 is a really nice chip.

BTW, I also had a P4 2.8C I ran at 3.5 GHz in an Abit IS7. Also really nice, but a tad slower than my A64 3200+ @ 2.26 GHz..
yeah i knew you had had an A64 rig. i'm just shocked by the paucity of adopters on OC.

seems funny but there will probably be more ex-Intel users with A64 systems than traditional AMD fans here as the Intel users are used to the prices. :-/
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
Re: Re: O/C AMD pride.. where's it at?

Skiing Squirrel said:


I feel like I was just interrogated! :p
well my point was to point some fingers and get some attention. glad it worked :D
 

Shade00

Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Location
Louisiana Tech University
Don't worry, my threads about my A64 experience are coming. I finally got the bugger set up and working right - turns out the power supply is just not up to speed. I've spent close to 10 hours fixing my Windows install over the past day and half. :rolleyes:

I must admit that I am absolutely loving my 3000+. It's super fast; with lax memory timings, a [email protected]/340, and the chip at 2150, I was scoring nearly 19.5k. I've still got plenty of optimizing and overclocking to do, but it's going to have to wait for the new power supply.

At stock speed with stock cooling it runs around 39C according to the BIOS and Leadtek's software - not too bad.
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
bulk88 said:
First the A64s are only getting 20% overclocks (400 mhz), thats is low comparing it to certain AXPs. Second we won't be paying $200-$400 a cpu and get so little overclocking. Overclock/price is very low forA64, high for AXPs.
would you be willing to pay 200 dollars for a chip that will outperform any chip intel is going to release for the next year or more?

Intel's roadmap shows 4ghz appearing in Q1 2005 which means faster chips than that will be Q2 or later and with cpu releases the way they are.. i would tend to think later would be likely.
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
c627627 said:
... to speculate on your question re 'the wait'... they all know Socket 939 is coming next year and are enjoing their super cheap Socket A's overclocked sky high untl then.

They want a mobo San Diego and Toledo can fit in even if they're only be affordable 2 years from now.

Maybe more people here know what San Diego and Toledo are but I'm just guessing.
sure socket 939 may come in 3-4 months but what will that bring? you surely will not see any cheap socket 939 chips.
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
Shade00 said:
Don't worry, my threads about my A64 experience are coming. I finally got the bugger set up and working right - turns out the power supply is just not up to speed. I've spent close to 10 hours fixing my Windows install over the past day and half. :rolleyes:

I must admit that I am absolutely loving my 3000+. It's super fast; with lax memory timings, a [email protected]/340, and the chip at 2150, I was scoring nearly 19.5k. I've still got plenty of optimizing and overclocking to do, but it's going to have to wait for the new power supply.

At stock speed with stock cooling it runs around 39C according to the BIOS and Leadtek's software - not too bad.
yeah i knew you had one you were working on. :)

can't wait to be able to order the parts for mine. i'll have a fortron 530W for mine so that should be plenty. :D
 

DaveB

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
Shade00 said:
I must admit that I am absolutely loving my 3000+. It's super fast; with lax memory timings, a [email protected]/340, and the chip at 2150, I was scoring nearly 19.5k.

I was getting 22500 with my A64 3200+ @ 2.26 GHz and a 9800 Pro @ 425/371.
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
DaveB said:


I was getting 22500 with my A64 3200+ @ 2.26 GHz and a 9800 Pro @ 425/371.
very nice. should be similar to mine since my 9800pro is capable of 440/335

nice ram oc you got on that thing :)
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
sandman001 said:
I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 2.6C or a 3000+.....
i've already got a 2.6c system and i'm looking at a 3000+ as an upgrade.

what does that tell you? :)
 

LBJGH

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Location
North of Toronto
I'm waiting for socket 939 before I make the leap... no point getting stuck with obsolete hardware.... can you say slot 'a' boys and girls.
 

CalsonicGTR

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2001
Location
Illinois
I have been thinking about the 3000+, but I recently did my two-year upgrade (TBird SDRAM 8500LE to Barton DDR 9800NP) I figure that I'll wait and see what Socket 939 brings. Also, I hope to empty whats left of my bank account on a car soon :D
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
LBJGH said:
I'm waiting for socket 939 before I make the leap... no point getting stuck with obsolete hardware.... can you say slot 'a' boys and girls.
i think the 754 offers good potential. sure it may be short lived but it will work well and keep up with intel computers for the next year or more. another point is that i seriously doubt there will be ANY socket 939 chips around the 200 dollar price range. i'm thinking the slowest will be around 500-600 like the FX is now at 700-800.
 

Quailane

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2003
I'm only a fan of AMD because I can buy (and I did) a $41 CPU that, when easilly overclocked, knocks the pants off of the $1000+ computers my friends' parents buy from the likes of dell and gateway.
 
OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Location
OKC
Quailane said:
I'm only a fan of AMD because I can buy (and I did) a $41 CPU that, when easilly overclocked, knocks the pants off of the $1000+ computers my friends' parents buy from the likes of dell and gateway.
so i'm guessing you will never buy another computer? there aren't going to be any more 41 dollar processors.