• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]My Droid/Android 2.0 Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

My Droid/Android 2.0 Experience
by FudgeNuggets

As of the time that I am writing this article, I’ve been using the Android 2.0 operating system on my new Motorola Droid phone for 4 days now. The one thing I wasn’t expecting, and most of you probably weren’t as well, is that Android is an operating system. I would consider it a full blown Linux distribution. I never expected there to be such a learning curve with a phone. This is not just a PDA with a phone built in. Even though technically there are other smartphone OSes such as Windows Mobile, Palm and even Apple’s the only real comparison is to Apple’s and even that is a bit unfair because Android 2.0 is more and that’s what I want to focus on: the OS.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited by a moderator:

joedymueller

good article. I have had the phone since .. a week after release and So far i do really enjoy it. nothing major on it sucks. though i never had an issue with the battery cover. My only trouble spot is finding a way to make sure things don't start back up.. and kill my battery. I cant seem to place it but my battery doesn't last a day now. when I got it it would last 2.

dgb303

I've been using the Android (t-mobile version) for several months now, it's been just great!

My only trouble spot is finding a way to make sure things don't start back up.. and kill my battery.

I use Advanced Task Killer to get rid of unwanted programs from running down battery life. It works really well in my experience...battery life on conservative use can be 2-3 days.

The OS seems so intuitive to me and easy to use. My sister just got the Droid (Verizon version) and she, not being a huge techy, absolutely loves the thing! Way to go google!

joedymueller

i have that app. but crap just restarts. example alarm clock..

like today took it off the charger at 8:45am est, its now 1:15 and has about 10% life left. only things running are gmail, voice dialer, settings, trap(app game), email, alarm clock!, corp calender, messaging, and task killer.

Brutal-Force

I have had the G1 for over a year. I would not trade it for any phone out there.

1. Remember this is a mini computer and so the battery will not last as long as a typical cellphone. The G1 has a 1140mAh battery stock, so it usually runs about 8 hours with minimal use of apps/texts/gps and so on. Tmobile recommends dimming the display/turning off sync and gps or wifi when not in use. With Heavy use I could kill the battery in an hour or so.

2. I recommend looking for an extended battery. I have bought a Extended 2300 mAh battery, which as you can expect lasts me twice as long. You do sacrifice a slim back, but after what I hear about the droid, that is a problem in and of itself.

3. If its not availablet yet, I am sure it will be soon, so sit tight. Some G1s have upward of a 3600 mAh battery, but I don't think you will be needing that. The extended back makes it a little difficult to use hard shell protectors, but I have no problem putting it in my normal cell case.

As I said before I would not give up my G1 for any phone on the market currently.

P.S. As of yet I have not been able to kill my cellphone before I would NORMALLY be home or in my car and could plug it in.

joedymueller

i agree it that it will die faster. but today zero use from the times i stated and the battery went down 90% percent? not good. I do need to get a car charger.

Omsion

Just a note - front page missing summary

Please insert a summary of the article, or the first few lines of the article here. This is what will appear as a summary of the article when displayed on the frontpage, below the article title.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Sorry to be offtopic but why the '98 join date set when there was never a setup like this for linking articles in the forums? Seems kinda cheesy, why not just have the editor post it?

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'm wondering has anyone with an Android phone tried to pair it to a bluetooth keyboard?

dgb303

That's weird that your having such problems with battery charge. I'm at 54% from charging yesterday (although use has been reasonably light). Have you made sure that your updated to the most recent (2.0 I think)?

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Pics please!

Fudge can we see a few pics of your phone and a maybe a few screen shots?

Brutal-Force

i agree it that it will die faster. but today zero use from the times i stated and the battery went down 90% percent? not good. I do need to get a car charger.

That is a quirk with android and reading the battery. Some of the Apps will read smaller increments of voltage change on the battery, while the android phone reads it and can be 10% off. For instance anything between 91% and 99% could show as 90%. Additionally, you can also try to calibrate your battery as follows: Fully Charge - Drain till phone turns off. (leave turned off) Plug in and fully recharge to 100%. Repeat. Repeat.

What this does is lets your phone know what the voltages are of your battery because its not always linear. This will help calibrate what the phone reads for percentage of voltage.

Also to note: a friend had a phone that the battery stayed at 99% till the phone shut off. (The battery charge was fine, just the sensor was off). Once he changed to a extended battery, the "guage" started reading again. So apparently the "sensor" is in the battery.

dgb303

That is a quirk with android and reading the battery. Some of the Apps will read smaller increments of voltage change on the battery, while the android phone reads it and can be 10% off. For instance anything between 91% and 99% could show as 90%. Additionally, you can also try to calibrate your battery as follows: Fully Charge - Drain till phone turns off. (leave turned off) Plug in and fully recharge to 100%. Repeat. Repeat..

That's exactly what I did for the first two weeks of owning the phone. Worked great :cool:

FudgeNuggets

I'm not sure what's going on with your battery. I text like a maniac on mine all day at work and run Pandora to stream music to some external speakers as well and my battery usually lasts until I dock it on my nightstand before bed.

ogboot

On Battery Life:
CDMA Hero- out of the box battery life was atrocious. However, a month into owning the phone i can easily leave the phone off the charger overnite and then some with no worries (only charged it once over the weekend). I know these batteries aren't supposed to need a breakin but it seems that time did make a huge difference.

Different phone hardware, but similar platform. just thought i'd share.

Oh and I love android, best phone I have ever owned :)

ratbuddy

Sorry to be offtopic but why the '98 join date set when there was never a setup like this for linking articles in the forums? Seems kinda cheesy, why not just have the editor post it?

I thought the same thing.

alfredara

Has Google's Android been ported so that it can be installed on an iPhone? I have an iPhone and I like the UI on the iPhone OS, but I like developing on Android better. Has Google's Android been ported so that it can be installed on an iPhone?

Last edited:

FudgeNuggets

Has Google's Android been ported so that it can be installed on an iPhone? I have an iPhone and I like the UI on the iPhone OS, but I like developing on Android better. Has Google's Android been ported so that it can be installed on an iPhone?

No and most likely never will be even though it is possible because they both use an ARM cortex A8 CPU. You can skin the Droid to look like an iPhone's interface although it already does for the most part.