• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spec_Ops2087

not sure if this should be in cooling or not but hey.....anyway I just today got my new thunderbird 950mhz(WOHO) to fix my dead Duron 700mhz....any way what is a safe O/C without haveing to invest in more cooling...currently, it is locked because last time mr. Duron died....so now I'm kinda nervous about trying to do the pencil trick again...thing is that I never used tape so I may try it again but with tape.....any recommenditaions about unlocking it with the pencil or changing the FSB without getting cooling crazy...thanx

Spec

Bull

I have a 950 tbird that I unlocked using the pencil trick. I didn't put tape on it and it works fine. Just make sure you use a fine #2 pencil and that none of the bridges are touching each other. I've had mine like this for a month now and no problems.

If its a 100 mhz FSB chip like mine I would unlock it and run it at 133. That's what I did. Just make sure your memory can handle 133. I only have it at 1055 right now because the PSU isn't that great.

OP
Spec_Ops2087

Spec_Ops2087

how would I tell if it can handle it....I got 256mb of SDRAM from samsung I think and it is PC133

EDIT: BTW where do you get that WPCUID program...I had to reinstall windows and lost that....thanx

Spec

Bull

You should be fine if its rated that high and your motherboard supports it. You will have to lower the multiplier down to like 7.5 or 8 so it will boot up and then you can adjust the FSB to what you want. The processor runs better at 133. I tested at default speeds and then I tested the 133 FSB and got a good performance gain.

OP
Spec_Ops2087

Spec_Ops2087

cool...in the BIOS it has an option that is called "auto detect DIMM/PCI clock" and it is enabled...should I disable that because when I up the FSB it also ups the PCI mhz

Spec

EDIT ONCE AGAIN: My mobo can adjust the multiplyer....so I don't really need to unlock it right?

Bull

yes you should be able to adjust it manually. My board doesn't have that option but my cards seem to run fine at the higher bus frequency.

OP
Spec_Ops2087

Spec_Ops2087

sweet...thank you VERY much bull...I think you win the award for the quickest replies to one post... ;)

Spec

AudiMan

If you are concerned about overheating, just install MBM5 and monitor your temps. MAke sure it doesn't go over 50 @ full load.

Jsut up the clocks and voltage until you reach that temp :)

That's what I do.

I actually have an xp-1700 on my asus @ 1609 1.85 Vcore at 54 degces full load.

Gonna fix that soon though, but its running at 100%.