• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/c Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theprdg

Registered
I have a few questions that I hope somebody out there can help me with.

So my system is as follows:

Athlon XP 1700+
Asus A7V333
256 MB PC2700
Geforce 2 Asus 7700 TiVx 64 MB
SB Audigy
60 GB Maxtor
Volcano 7

My questoin now is, in the bios, my multiplier is at 11x and my FSB is at 133/33 but shouldn't my FSB be higher? I don't fully understand how it works but shouldn't my FSB be at 333? Or is it because it's DDR and so 2x133 which turns out to be 266 (slightly off but I can O/C that). If I'm totally off about all this, could you explain briefly please?

Second question: How do I overclock my RAM? I know it has something to do with changing the RAS and CAS but I haven't a clue what they are and what the numbers indicate. From what I've been reading however, it seems that the CAS2 is what most if not all people are changing. Any tips or hints?

Thank you so much!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!:clap:

you are totally correct. the DDR333 works on the memory bus x2, in your case, which is 166x2=333. your mobo support the new(soon be old) kt333, which support DDR333. there should be an option to set your memory running at 166FSB, while the cpu is running at 133, check your mobo's manual.

as for the memory OCing, when you up your CPU fsb, you are actually increasing your AGP, PCI, MEMORY fsb too, thus ocing them. for the memory setting in bios, check out this link .:D

p.s. actually this post should belongs in MEMORY forum:D

overclocking

Because you have PC2700, you should be able to raise your FSB and not have problems with the memory, though other hardware may not like really high FSB. The ram is rated for 166 FSB, which in DDR speeds is 333.

Start by turning the FSB up a lttle at a time and then test your system out with Prime95 or Sandra burn-in (the 2 cpu tests + the memory tests looped). You'll want to run these stress programs for a couple of hours everytime you test new settings for the first time. If you have no problems, raise the FSB some more.

When you have errors/crashes, try raising the voltage to the memory some and also to the cpu. Keep an eye on the cpu temperature with the bios or MBM5 and don't let the cpu go above 45C. If the computer doesn't even post, reset the cmos (usually a jumper) and redo the bios settings, this time with more cpu voltage. Eventually you'll find your limits.

As for memory settings, cas 2.5 will give you higher FSB if memory is the limiting factor. Cas 2 gives better performance. Set the command rate to 2t instead of 1t, because it'll be more stable that way. Any other memory settings in the bios will probably give better performance with lower number settings.

Take it slow and read some more, cuz this is sort of simplified.

So I read through all that and all is well. Thanks a lot first of all. So the problem is now, I took out the temp sensor so the fan's running at 5000 rpm but my temperature's still in the low 50's. I know I should probably get a couple of case fans but the thing is that I really don't think it should be at that temp in the first place. I have an Enermax whisper with dual fans and one of the outtake fans is perfectly above my cpu and the HSF so hot air is being taken out of the system there. So I really don't know what's going on there.

The second thing I'd like to question is, I can't get my FSB to go beyond 150. The current multiplier's at 11x. If what you guys say is correct (which I'm pretty confident it is) it really should be able to operate at 166 no problem seeing as to how the motherboard was made for it and I have the RAM for the mobo that was made for it. So what's the deal with that?

More help would be greatly appreciated... for the moment, more tweaking!

Thanks!

Back