• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]The Oven Trick (repairing your broken video card with an oven)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
The Oven Trick (repairing your broken video card with an oven)
by ghost_recon88

Like many people out there, you’ve probably had your video card die within just a few days or even weeks of the warranty running out. If this has happened to you, don’t stress!

Since the card is already out of warranty, you have nothing to lose by baking the card in the oven, right? Well it turns out that reheating your video card to a certain temperature can actually “revive it”. The logic behind the experiment is that by heating up the card, it re-melts the solder joints which can sometimes come loose over time and cause the card to artifact, display a blank screen, or sometimes even overheat.

So you’ve read this far you're probably saying “get on with it already”, so here are the steps you’ll need to take.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
sno.lcn

Last edited by a moderator:

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Has anyone tried this?

I can't believe this actually works! Wish I knew about this a few years ago when I had several cards die on me over the course of a few weeks.

Great article!

Matt

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Many people have tried this and were successful! There is a forum thread here somewhere reagrding the success and failures of it (which is where I thought the article came from?).

MarkS

I said it in the other thread and was ignored. DO NOT place the card in the oven face down! The heaviest components are on that side and when the solder melts, there is the possibility of gravity taking hold, especially if there is a hard enough bump, like when taking the card out of the oven. Cards are reflowed during the manufacturing process face up. No one has had any issue *YET*, but it must be stressed that this is a bad idea.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
I said it in the other thread and was ignored. DO NOT place the card in the oven face down! The heaviest components are on that side and when the solder melts, there is the possibility of gravity taking hold, especially if there is a hard enough bump, like when taking the card out of the oven. Cards are reflowed during the manufacturing process face up. No one has had any issue *YET*, but it must be stressed that this is a bad idea.

That might be a good addendum to the article! I'll direct the author to this thread to get his thoughts. I see how that could be an issue.

Matt

Essenar

This is a stupid, stupid, stupid idea, unless all you use your oven for is re-heating video cards!

When you heat that video card, you're heating electrical components and solder, which in turn, phase changes to fumes, which in turn, finds its way to the walls, floor and roof of your oven.

These molecules, which I'm positive you don't have the equipment of removing from your oven, will lay dormant until the next time the oven is used, and the heat will cause diffusion and they'll ping pong all over the place, landing right on your baked chicken you're making for your kids.

Do NOT use your oven for heating anything other than food.

If you want to do this, I strongly encourage you guys to buy a small mini-oven for use specifically for melting glue on plastic components (Common with headlight modifications), drying paint or re-heating your video cards.

But basically, if you do this with your oven, buy a new oven.

Dusnoetos

This is a stupid, stupid, stupid idea, unless all you use your oven for is re-heating video cards!

When you heat that video card, you're heating electrical components and solder, which in turn, phase changes to fumes, which in turn, finds its way to the walls, floor and roof of your oven.

These molecules, which I'm positive you don't have the equipment of removing from your oven, will lay dormant until the next time the oven is used, and the heat will cause diffusion and they'll ping pong all over the place, landing right on your baked chicken you're making for your kids.

Do NOT use your oven for heating anything other than food.

If you want to do this, I strongly encourage you guys to buy a small mini-oven for use specifically for melting glue on plastic components (Common with headlight modifications), drying paint or re-heating your video cards.

But basically, if you do this with your oven, buy a new oven.

OK... get the point..
What if you were to simply make a tin foil covering (not touching the card...) to enclose the card.... to keep all fumes and stuff contained???