• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Windows 7. A Compelling Upgrade From Vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Windows 7. A Compelling Upgrade From Vista?
by Johnz

There's been a lot of love for Windows 7 on the web, and it has generated a good buzz with media in general. I've given it a decent trial, and I don't see a compelling reason to switch from Vista. Windows 7 has brought a few changes, but it doesn't amount to much more than a theme pack for Vista.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
sno.lcn

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Very well done Johnz. Great example of going the extra mile, benching the two against each other to help prove your point. Excellent job!

vixro

I paid a full $230 for the retail copy of home premium of Vista and I had no qualms about paying only $30 to upgrade to Win7. I think if you can get it for cheap (like through www.win741.com ) then it's worth the few extra features. To me it just seems more stable, I have not had a single crash yet and I increased my overclock. Vista would blue screen on me about once a week.

Also, the gadgets are essentially a sidebar. Just move them to the side just like where the sidebar would be. I have my clock, calendar, cpu usage, and weather gadgets just like I did on the vista sidebar. It's enhanced, not removed. That part of the article is misleading.

If you're not a fan of the new taskbar, you can download a classic taskbar as found in the Win7 tips and tricks thread.

Last edited:

UltraManiac

I am also using Windows 7 right now. Have been using vista for a while. Thanks for the article, I am going to give it a read. ^^

SuperDave1685

Wow. Someone sounds a *bit* biased. Seems like Johnz isn't a big fan of W7. Like it or not, W7 is better than Vista. I have only used the RC version, but I absolutely loved it. There's a few new quirks and tricks yes, but overall, the market and computer enthusiasts are snuggling up to W7. With all the good things being said about W7 and its improvements over Vista, I find it very difficult to believe that W7 is just merely a "theme pack" for Vista.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Wow. Someone sounds a *bit* biased. Seems like Johnz isn't a big fan of W7. Like it or not, W7 is better than Vista. I have only used the RC version, but I absolutely loved it. There's a few new quirks and tricks yes, but overall, the market and computer enthusiasts are snuggling up to W7. With all the good things being said about W7 and its improvements over Vista, I find it very difficult to believe that W7 is just merely a "theme pack" for Vista.

Biased? Did you read the article or just the summary above? Here is the second line:

My preference for Vista is mostly for superfluous reasons, but when totaled, they still leave me looking for a reason to switch.

Here are the unbiased benchmarks, linked to from the article:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=623235

I'm reading your comment, and I'm not seeing anything other than an assertion that "like it or not, W7 is better than Vista".

That is an opinion, which would carry more weight if you justified it with a because of X, which cannot be "i loved it" or "the market and computer enthusiasts are snuggling up" to it.

What are your unbiased reasons for finding W7 to be better than Vista? I know there are reasons, but I'm interested in what yours are.

johnz

Thanks everybody :^)

No, I'm not a big fan of Win7, but I'm not a big detractor either. Win7's a very capable O/S, and fairly short on annoyances. For me, I don't find the changes worth a switch from Vista, and I couldn't in good conscience recommend others switch from Vista. This of course is a enthusiasts site, so many will want to switch just because. There's nothing wrong with that; there's certainly worse ways to get rid of $100(or less). I don't think Win7's the big savior it's being made out to be, and for the average Joe who doesn't care about running MS's latest, there's little to be gained.

Anybody who's still on XP, I would wholeheartedly encourage the upgrade. Like Vista, Win7 surpasses XP in almost every area. For grandma the switch may not be worth it, but for your average middle aged six pack, who can use a few tech gadgets, I think he'd appreciate the enhancements MS brought to the table.

If you take anything from the commentary, it would be that barring small features Win7=Vista. One may like some features of either O/S more than the other, but core functionality and performance are just about equal. For me, I prefer the look of Vista, and I like the real sidebar, so that's where I choose to stay. Others may like the new taskbar of 7, and a sidebar and gadgets may mean little to them. Ultimately the choice of upgrade is up to the user, but I wouldn't expect any major changes if one's coming from Vista.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I thought it was a good read. The ONLY reason I switched to Win7 is b/c of the $30 student deal, I just couldn't pass that up.

SeanBest

I would definitely suggest a switch to Windows 7 over XP, as for Vista I would suggest it as well, but can see where others wouldn't. With all the ways to get it for less and even the $99 upgrade seems worth it to me.

SuperDave1685

I did read the article and the data in the forums thread. I will agree that visually speaking, W7 isn't to awfully different than Vista. Its seems that MS has fixed many of the annoyances in W7 that plagued Vista upon launch. Vista's program compatibility issues and driver problems at launch I think left an overall general bad taste in the public's mouth. It has gotten better of course, but the stigma still follows it. W7 seems to have expanded on program compatibility, as well as have more sound driver support upon launch. I beleive MS's decision to openly host a RC for people to try several months before it went out the door helped immensely. I could be wrong, but I don't remember MS hosting a Vista RC for people to try out. I'm pretty sure they did, but it just didn't receive the publicity that W7 has gotten if they did. It seems to me that the Beta and RC phases of Vista's development included far less people than W7's development. And this is what has helped W7.

As for my personal experience, W7 seems more responsive on my netbook. It also has given me about 15-20 more minutes of battery life. As for the legacy programs I use for my job, I constantly had issues with Vista, no matter what I tried. With W7, the program simply works as designed.

johnz

I did read the article and the data in the forums thread. I will agree that visually speaking, W7 isn't to awfully different than Vista. Its seems that MS has fixed many of the annoyances in W7 that plagued Vista upon launch. Vista's program compatibility issues and driver problems at launch I think left an overall general bad taste in the public's mouth.

Vista was a big change from XP, and 3rd party devs dropped the ball in getting ready for it. They had plenty of time to have drivers ready, but many still had problems at Vista's release. MS isn't blameless with Vista's poor reception. They grossly lowballed the minimum specs, and the "basic" vs "premium" differentiation left a bad taste in people's mouths.

Win7 benefited from a 3 year beta period with Vista, so MS could speed through development, and still have a fairly smooth release. If MS keeps to their development plans, Win8 should have deeper changes, and it could very well be a bit rocky as Vista was. That's the price we pay for keeping up with the latest tech. I was fortunate with Vista. I ran it off and on starting at RC1, full time at release, and my biggest problem is the ever changing folder views :^D I never had any driver issues, and all the software I used regularly worked fine on Vista. I did lose support for my scanner when I went to 64bit, but on the rare occasions I need to scan, I'll boot into my XP partition. I'll wipe the XP partition when I switch to the all in one printer I bought last year, but still have boxed up.

bboyfobulous

I just upgraded my bro's PC to win 7 and cant get the nvidia drivers to install. called windows and Nvidia, and both said i'm SOL till driver updates come out.

im sticking with what I got.