• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Obsidian 800D 3x120 2x140

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devTitan

PC Components
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: (1x) Saphirre 6990
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155
OS HD: Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch SSD
Storage HD's: WD 500GB, 1TB, & 2TB
Drive 1: DVD Burner Lite-On
Drive 2: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Display: Eyeinfinity (2x) DELL UltraSharp U2312HM 23.0" 1080p

Cooling Devices
PCU Block: XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block
GPU Blocks: EK Acetal + NE coated full cover.
Upper Radiator: Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator
Upper Rad Fans: Aerocool Shark Black Edition 120mm x 25mm High Air Pressure Fan [Push config]
Lower Radiator: Black Ice GT Stealth 280 Radiator
Lower Rad Fans: Aerocool Shark Black Edition 140mm x 25mm High Air Pressure Fan [Pull config]
Pump: Swiftech MCP655

I've been using an HP Mini ( Triple Booting: Snow Leopard, Win 7, Ubuntu ) and upgraded enough to be a capable & mobile workstation for quick edits. But as a part time web designer, more screens & power are definitely a must have.

My reason for building this is to be capable of handling various graphical software and some games (MW3 & BF3) I was limited in use of by my previous desktop. I'd also like a rig capable of pumping media through my network at home for entertainment purposes as well.

I havent been in the loop as far as components and whats up to date so doing a little research here and there, as well as comparing some rig builds I decided to start my build off the 800D. This is my first time owning a gaming case so I was awed at the size of this thing when they first dropped it off.

At first I was very happy, but soon made plans to install more radiator surface area to improve cooling. Downloaded the template from MNPCTECH.com & got to making an adapter bracket, then cutting and fitting it to the case. Tip: Krylon Camoflague Flat Black matches this case finish perfectly. I suppose the radiator cutout is possibly the most interesting part of this rig since I'm not into having LED's all over. I also had to cut a correct length of solid aluminum rod then drill/tap both ends to have a removable fixture to provide support for the removed lower drive bracket.

Pics:
IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

The PC build is step one. Step 2 will be a custom made external water chiller from some refrigeration parts I've been saving.

:)

Update #1

I've mounted the HX1050 which arrived and both radiators along with their respective fans. The lower radiator lined up great, but the M4 .7 x 25mm mounting screws weren't long enough to reach through the fan and along to the radiator mounts. A short trip to Ace Hardware and found they have 25, 30, & 35mm length M4 screws in stock. They also have some neoprene washers for .25 each, so I picked up a few and used them along all the mounting points where the screw heads make contact with the case itself, including the vertical support bar I had to make due to removing the lower HD rack. Now that everything is mounted I'm able to clearly see where my water lines will run and any obstacles.

I ordered up all of my compression fittings plus an EK Acetal NE cooling block..I'm still not sure where or how I will mount a reservior, most of the bay drives I see have upper mounting holes for the barbs/fittings, so a tubular reservior might be the way to go.

I'll have the rest of the internals within a week and half..new stuff coming up. Once I get her up and running I want to take some time and identify hotspots with a laser temp gauge and see how efficient this thing runs.

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

Update #2
Ton's of items ordered. Newegg.com was out of Gigabyte 6990's, so for now, it's a waiting game on that end.

I decided to add:
Fan Controller: Lamptron FC Touch
Reservoir: Bitspower Z-Multi 150 Reservoir
Pump Block: Bitspower D5 MCP655 Pump Mod Top

And although I really didn't want or care to fancy up the case..I am a fan of clean & neat work so I decided to sleeve everything up and do as clean a job as I could. The prices on these sleeving kits are nuts..So for the price of a standard kit I ordered up 30' of sleeving from: CableOrganizer.com who sells the stuff by the foot. I'll update when I actually receive the stuff.

Of course most of my orders have been from both Newegg.com & FrozenCPU.com, so major kudos to them so far.

My next post should be of everything installed aside from the GPU.

Update #2

Finally got some time and all the bits and pieces together after some issues with orders and "not in stock" items.

A buddy from work who is on this forum gave me alot of suggestions and help catching up with current parts and most importantly monitors. I ended up going with dual 23" Dell UltraSharp U2312HM's. I was nervous as hell ordering sight unseen, but all the monitors locally at Best Buy and where ever else I stopped were honestly junk. I found this site http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1317112577 and after some additional googling I pulled the trigger. The monitors are crystal clear, I'm very happy with my decision!

If you want to make life easier for yourself and are setting up a similar box:

- Swap the 655 Pump red and black leads on the 4 pin power plug ( has two empty holes ) to match up with the Yellow/Black wires from your PSU's power lead.
- If you're feeding to an upper radiator from a lower radiator get yourself a nice long hose from your loop or reservior and hold it ( by hand, with clamps, an un interested friend ) above your loop to coax any air bubbles to move towards the higher level. Or even go a step further and add a drain/air release valve at the highest point you can so while you're filling your loop the air is pushed out before causing vapor lock in your lines.
- You'll need alot more sleeving than you think.
- From what I have seen compression fittings aren't that big of a deal when compared to a good barbed style tube fitting. These BitsPower fittings are great because they have play to help compensate your lines, but are a hassle to install. I don't think they're worth the price IMHO.

I still have some stuff to take care of: complete sleeving of wires and finish my sata power cable, install accessories/multi card reader in front 5.25 panel. But I'm very happy with every part I put into this rig. The only significant changes I see me making is adding more screens and start to tweaking some settings to get more gaming performance.

Oh..FrozenCPU.com has been great for parts. But being from Florida it worked out better for myself to order from http://www.Performance-PCS.com, they had more of the parts I needed in stock, and I would receive my items 2 or 3 days ahead of my other orders. So kudos to them for doing a great job, I'll be more inclined to order from them from now on, they just seriously need to update their website...I had to use Google.com to search for parts that their own search engine wouldn't find.

ccc.jpg

RealTemp.jpg

DSC_3049.JPG

DSC_3062.JPG

DSC_3063.JPG

DSC_3064.JPG

DSC_3065.JPG

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Welcome to the Forums. I quite like 800D builds/mods. Subbed ^^.

Shame you already bought the HX 1050 though. For 2 HD 6970's and a 2600K, you'd be fine with a 750W (850W if you wanted extra.. AX850 Corsair or Antec HCP (High Current Pro) 850W). ^^.

jameseboy

Good looking build you have coming along there, the only thing I would like to ask about is the GPU's, you say your doing web design, if your using photoshop and doing batch processing, then perhaps a fermi gpu would be a better idea? such as a gtx580, there more expensive, but get the processing for graphics done much faster and with photoshop cs5 i believe you can run batch processing on the gpus.
Either way, Very nice build, and looking forward to seeing it done :thup:

OP
D

devTitan

Jameseboy, thanks for the suggestion, I did like into nearly all combinations and available GPU's. I don't think I'd spend the 2k on a dedicated pro version Fermi, but from what I could see/find with regards to bench tests, and available GPU's up to $800~ the 6990 outperformed everything. So I think I'll start off with one and add another later on if I feel im lacking any punch. My old work PC was a mildly modified dual core gateway with a cheapo 1GB HD4670 and I did fine with all my business needs up until I started rendering/editing video. Never had an issue with CS5 as far as serious slowing when working with numerous files/layers or even dreamweaver. I did suffer greatly during gaming though, I got hooked on Bad Company but couldn't play much due to freezing/choppy frames.

What I'm most curious about is to see how this thing performs running both CS5 and say...Autodesk Inventor with 3 monitors...That's when I'll know where I need to upgrade.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
The reason for his suggestion is that Adobe CS5 supports CUDA acceleration. Its not that it cant run on your radeons nicely. Its that you can offload alot of photoshop/premier/flash workload to the GPUs using an nVidia card and it doesnt have to be a quadro either.

That out of the way nice build sofar. Thats a lot of radiator space im sure you wont be lacking on that front.

OP
D

devTitan

Gotcha! I hadn't taken that into consideration. Im already invested in the 6990..already have that waterblock on the way. Maybe I'll slow down and review the rest of the items I have left to order before I miss something as substantial as that :)

OP
D

devTitan

experience.jpg

First time I see these kinds of numbers. The graphics on this rig are incredible. :cool:

IJAHman

The reason for his suggestion is that Adobe CS5 supports CUDA acceleration. Its not that it cant run on your radeons nicely. Its that you can offload alot of photoshop/premier/flash workload to the GPUs using an nVidia card and it doesnt have to be a quadro either.

+1 for this ^ I'm also using NVIDIA cards for my work. (Premiere, After Effects, PSD).

Horrerblade

Subbed tell us whats up nice looking rig you got there ohh if i wasn't so inclined to put money in to college i would so build a rig like this. Waiting for college to pay off so that i can do cool things like this also lol

faceclot

Registered
Subbed tell us whats up nice looking rig you got there ohh if i wasn't so inclined to put money in to college i would so build a rig like this. Waiting for college to pay off so that i can do cool things like this also lol

Idle:
exY4t.jpg

BF3 1080p max settings for everything. (60+fps on metro :D)

2UHoM.jpg

And some setup pics... (sorry for low quality)

2SR3vh.jpg

vmZFlh.jpg

LXbosh.jpg

cwWK8h.jpg

OP
D

devTitan

HorrerBlade, this thing is actually overkill for me, in all honesty I don't use it to its full potential. All the databases and spreadsheets I've thrown at it to crunch for me with 600k+ fields it's breezed through them.

faceclot! It's looks like my pc's brother! I haven't run any fps tests but I'll get to it one day and post. I spent the first month just getting creamed on bf3 lol ...I've gotten good in the chopper though!

faceclot

Registered
Oops. I posted these thinking it was my build log :p! Sorry to barge into your thread m8!

Horrerblade

:Droll: lol well i finally got a new comp and got everything running if your not using that 6990 to its true potential you should look in to bit coin mining that is where your system needs to me lol.