• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 2400+ XP... Cooling Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

I just bought a AMD XP 2400+ and I am using conventional air-cooling solution. I want to push my rig to the limit more, what cooling solution is better?

Prometeia or Water Blocks for my situation?

I really want to cool my entire system including the Mobo North Bridge as well. My Mobo Temp is at 40C because I running 7 IDE device, and also 5 of my 6 PCI slots are occupied. In addition, my Hard Drives are HOT as well.

Prometeia is based on vaporchill and it can cool the cpu to the extreme like only 4C. What about Water/Radiator Cooling Solution? It is probably the best cooling solution for the entire system including HD, N/B, video card. Was the Koolance PC2-601BLW any good? It seemed to me it was the easiest water block cooling solution out there in the market but expensive solution? Any Suggestions?

I have no intention to start a debate about vaporchill vs water cooling

Last edited:

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
With the Prometeia you would most likely get a higher OC. However with water cooling you could do your CPU, northbridge (don't know why you would want to) and also your video card.

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

This is because my Mobo's north Bridge is extremely hot. It's current temp is 40C or 104F

Last edited:

{PMS}fishy

Ok a few things to note. You Sig is too long, I would change it before the mods do on you.

This question may have better responses if moved to here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6
You can also have a mod do that for you.

Welcome to the forums.

Now about that heat situation that you have there. The Koolance system is outdated and really is not powerfull enough to cool the CPU that you have. Also being this you first time with anything other than air cooling I would say that a Promethia or VaporChill system is a little bit beyond your ability. Heck they are beyond mine.

A good water system would be the place that I would start. First off I would purchase a new case for this project. You have a lot of things in there now and water cooling is only going to add more to it. Something like the Cheiftec cases are a good size for water cooling. They have basically two different models, the full tower and the midsize. use your judjment there. A good reseller to look at is www.Newegg.com.

As for the water cooling components I would piece together a system rather than getting a prebuilt. Places to look for these components are www.dangerden.com and http://becooling.safeshopper.com

The nice part about that cheiftec case is that there are 80mm fan brackets infront of your HDD cages, so that solves that cooling problem. As well as there being lots of room in the bottom of the case for a radiator, if you remove the lower most HDD cage. I would not water cool the northbridge as there really are no benifits seen from soemthing liek that. If you fell that the temps are too high I would invest in a better chipset cooler.

Here are my parts recomendations for the water cooling:

Block - Dangerden Maze2 or Maze3 w/Copper top 3/8" Barbs
Radiator - Heatcore @ autozone mod for 3/8" for $18 or buy finished
Pump - ViaAqua 1300
Hose - 3/8ID can get at any homestore for very little
Fans- 2 120mm Sunon 131cfm
Shrouds- Can be made for a few $$ of purchased

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

ok... i have shorten my sig....

Building a water cooling system from scratch? :eek: my craftmanship sucks

I guess it will be a lot of fun then.... I really think I need a full tower case because now my mid tower case doesnt even have room for a floppy drive... how sad... :eh?:

I didn't know koolance stuff was out of date.... :bang head I guess it is always good to ask for other opinion before i made the mistake and purchase something over US$500+ (plus the water blocks and etc)

what about Innovatek Water Cooling Kit Are they any good? I guess my info is very limited and based on tom's hardware....

I am doing more research on the parts you have suggested now....

also instead of using the fan to cool the radiator, would it be better to use a mini fridge to cool it more?
B00006IX9L.16._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg.gif

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Like Fishy said build your own. Also I would stay away from the mini fridge til you feel safe about water cooling due to condensation. Also D-Tek is a good place to get stuff. For the heater core I wouold either go with a 86 Chevette or a 89 Camaro.