• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 4770k haswell help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L424RU2

Registered
My pc has a 4770k chip, on a premium z board, but I'm guessing I lost the silicon lottery.
4.4 ghz is only possible with 1.3, and is only really stable at 1.32. The casheratio stays at 40,
as I don't know the voltage limits and I get bluescreens if I push further than that.

So I'm wondering, what are the safe limits and does it actually make a noticeable difference,
either in fps or general usage of overclocking the cashe ratio?

Also I prefer setting the mode to adaptive, but even though turboboost is on, hardware monitor
says the chip stay at a full 4.4 all the time, can I force the cpu to clock down when under light load (say 20 percent)?
Speedstep is on too.

Lastly, I dint use the voltage offset and don't want to brick my cpu, 4.4 is good enough but I
would like to reduce the voltage for temps and endurence, as it is they go up to 81c peak even
with full fan speeds. So can I combine the different voltages to bring the overall voltage down?
Right now it's at 1.9, 1.8 works but not really stable

os is windows 10 and arch, but I set a different bios profile on arch as I really don't need the extra power

Thoughts and input are welcome :)

Last edited:

trents

When your overclock exceeds stock turbo boost frequency then turbo is disabled.

Overclocking the cache makes little or no difference in performance.

A good overclock can make a good difference in apps that are heavily CPU dependent.

You mention nothing about your cooling or your core/package temps. Are you monitoring package temps under load with say, HWMonitor? If your cooling is inadequate for the overclock then that can cause instability.

"Premium Z motherboard"? Please be more specific. Please list your hardware components by make/model/frequency. Need info about motherboard, frquency and amount of RAM, CPU cooler, case and fans, GPU, PSU make and wattage. We need more info to help you.

OP
L

L424RU2

Registered
Specs are in my profile, here you go:
Your System:
Fractal Design Core 500
i7 4770k @4.4ghz(1.32vcore) with BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler
Asrock Z97E-itx/ac
Gigabyte gaming G1 rx480 @1390/2090(+24mV)
Corsair Vengance [email protected] 8-9-8-26
Samsung 750 & 850 256gb
Seagate Barracuda Green 2tb 5400rpm 64mb cashe
Seasonic X560 gold psu

I'm going to keep the cashe ration on 39, at 42 it did make a marginal improvement in cinebench, but felt the same.
Temps are indeed monitored with Hardware monitor, also it's the max temp of the hottest core, not the package

EDIT: cpu-z shows my core speed to be 4.397 something and it fluctuates, on override vcore voltages, is this normal?
Also could I get the system more stable/cooler by messing with the bclk speed?
So you're telling me that there is no way to use intel speedstep when overclocking over 3.9

Last edited:

trents

Specs are in my profile, here you go:
Your System:
Fractal Design Core 500
i7 4770k @4.4ghz(1.32vcore) with BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler
Asrock Z97E-itx/ac
Gigabyte gaming G1 rx480 @1390/2090(+24mV)
Corsair Vengance [email protected] 8-9-8-26
Samsung 750 & 850 256gb
Seagate Barracuda Green 2tb 5400rpm 64mb cashe
Seasonic X560 gold psu

I'm going to keep the cashe ration on 39, at 42 it did make a marginal improvement in cinebench, but felt the same.
Temps are indeed monitored with Hardware monitor, also it's the max temp of the hottest core, not the package

EDIT: cpu-z shows my core speed to be 4.397 something and it fluctuates, on override vcore voltages, is this normal? Normal
Also could I get the system more stable/cooler by messing with the bclk speed? No, other buses are tied to he BCLK in this architecture and changing the BCLK more than about 2 mhz generates instant instability.
So you're telling me that there is no way to use intel speedstep when overclocking over 3.9 Yes, that's what I'm saying.

With a mini itx motherboard you are not going to be able to overclock as high as you would with a full ATX motherboard when running an i5k or an i7k. The powerphase components aren't rugged enough. If you have gotten that chip to 4.4 you are doing well in this context. But have you confirmed through rigorous stress testing that it is indeed stable at 4.4. Can you pass the OCCT stress test (for instance) for three hours?

OP
L

L424RU2

Registered
Thanks for the input, I put the vcore back to 1.3 with the cashe on 39. No I didn't test using OCCT, I'm gonna do that now;
Stable enough to have 3 monitors hooked up and demanding AAA game with multiple browser instances running at once for
extended periods of time.

I'm gonna try to find the lowest possible voltage at 4.4