• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 860K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Alright my AMD rig is online. So where do I start with this CPU? What program to monitor CPU? Also, what is the most powerful FM2+ CPU that is not an APU?

I did a quick dirty OC set XMP to the 1600 of my RAM, and set the CPU to 4.0.

Looking forward to pushing this chip :thup:

Dr. McCoy

Technically all FM2+ chips are APU's, the 860K is also one but the graphics part has been disabled making it more of a CPU style chip.

These chips will run warm - even hot if you're not careful, you'll find this out early on once you start raising the clocks and voltage. Typical clocks are around 4.2 OC'ed for everyday use and for a more competitive speed 4.5 and up is good.
Not all of them will reach 5.0, so far my 860K hasn't found the 5.0 mark that I can remember. I believe for this one sub-zero will be required to go that high or further with it.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Thanks Mr. Scott. Which of the guides do I follow to overclock this cpu? I have not had an AMD chip before and new to this PC stuff :thup:

Last edited:
OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Ok guys found a tutorial to use AMD overdrive. I downloaded CPU-Z, what else do I need to monitor the OC and stress test?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Prime95 is a good test. AMDOD has a buit in stress test that's OK. It'll allow for a bit higher clocks than P95 but it may crash randomly.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Prime95 is a good test. AMDOD has a buit in stress test that's OK. It'll allow for a bit higher clocks than P95 but it may crash randomly.

So start at stock settings, disable the turbo, and increase speed until it's not stable, then increase voltage to stabilize, and just keep going?

Johan45

Yep and keep an eye on your temps. That's the beautry of having an unlocked multi.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Yep and keep an eye on your temps. That's the beautry of having an unlocked multi.

Ok perfect thanks.

How long do you usually run Prime for stability tests of an OC?

Also is CPU-Z good enough for monitoring or something else? AOD shows temps etc too?

Johan45

Use AOD for temps and I use 20 minutes till I'm at the limit then at least 2 hrs of Prime

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Started Prime twice after ten minutes core/worker number 4 has had an error at the 10 minute mark.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Ok so far OC'ing with 20 min runs on prime I am at 4.4ghz with 1.431v and a thermal margin of 39 C

rayraysfunhouse

test for two hours and see if it fails. And keep an eye on temps as well, seems as though you will be good on that though if you have that much of a margin.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

You do the shorter runs though to see if it will hold and keep pushing right?

So far trying to get 4.5 to run with 1.45v but keeps crashing tm is still in the high 30's though

rayraysfunhouse

Sometimes it can take alot to get that last 100 mhz continue pushing and keep and eye on Temps till you're comfortable. But Temps will be the limiting factor if you have to go to 1.5v

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Looks good, voltage is reasonable so you can try pushing for 4.6 and test again 20 min. What I like to do at some point is find a true stable Oc before I push further. Reason being is at some point it will get harder and harder to find stability and you may lose your way. Having a known stable Oc to fall back on is helpful. Also take notes of the changes you're making.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

Looks good, voltage is reasonable so you can try pushing for 4.6 and test again 20 min. What I like to do at some point is find a true stable Oc before I push further. Reason being is at some point it will get harder and harder to find stability and you may lose your way. Having a known stable Oc to fall back on is helpful. Also take notes of the changes you're making.

Ok cool, chasing 4.6 now :)

Last edited:
OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

4.6 stable but with almost 1.47V but TM is still 28 degrees lol.....I think for the time being I will call it good here. Everytime I jumped 100mhz on this CPU it has had VERY good gains with my Firestrike score :thup:

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
4.6 stable but with almost 1.47V but TM is still 28 degrees lol.....I think for the time being I will call it good here. Everytime I jumped 100mhz on this CPU it has had VERY good gains with my Firestrike score :thup:
Well if you're planning on keeping it here make sure you pass 2 hours of Prime Blend.