• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC a 2500+ (unlocked?) CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camt

Hoping to overclock my 2500+ upto 3200+ but not sure how far to go with my stock CPU fan and low quality power supply.....they will be upgraded later.

I have an AMD 2500+ 333mhz Barton and am guessing that my current multiplier is:
333mhz x 5.5 OR is it 166mhz x 11 = running at 1.83ghz?
(not sure how that works) - it is set to auto in the bios.

I want to bring the multiplier up to 6/6.5 or 11.5/12 for increased performance and eventually go all the way to a 3200+ (I believe 7x or 14x) - again not sure how that works.

Here is my equipment list:
CPU: AMD 2500+ (unlocked??) bought Aug/Sept 2003
CPU Fan: Stock Fan from Retail 2500+
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO
Ram: 2x 256mb DDR400 Micron
Power: OEM 400mhz
Fans: 5 Case fans (2xfront & 1x back, side & top)

I have run a few searches on this forum and can't find the answers I'm looking for so any help would be appreciated.

PS. Is there any software that I should be running before and/or after to detect my current settings, multipliers, etc.

PPS. Yes I knwo that my cooling is "default" but my case seems to be ventialted well and CPU hardly reaches 40 degrees.

Thanks,
Cam T.

The stock amd hsf is no better than a paperweight. Especially when you start increasing the vcore. Read the sticky for some good copper heatsinks. I'd get a SLK-900a and Tt Smart Fan II.

One thing you can do though is lower your multi to like 5 or so (lowest your rig supports) and see how high you can get your fsb. Raise your vdimm to 2.8v or so and see how high your fsb can go.

You don't need any special overclocking software

Thanks for the tip - I'll play with this later this week.

About the multis, Stock Barton 2500 is 11*166, stock 3200 is 11*200. I think the sticky AMD FAQ has most of these. Those fsb numbers are before any sort of clock doubling (effective speed of ram is 333 and 400 respectively).

Back