• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyBravo

Registered
Hello Everyone.

I have this CPU and a ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo with 2 GB DDR2 800 mhz clock (2x1 dual channel).

I´ve read some interesting posts regarding this CPU, especially the one from Verde and i would like some help regarding some values...

I´ve manage to overclock it to 3,0 and Prime95 runs without errors (is a 10 min test enough to stress it?). The temp doesn´t pass 53ºC, but I believe that my HTlink is a bit off the clock and also i´m not sure if the value for the DRAM is the best (it´s always shifting).

So far, what I did was set FSB for 215 and the multiplier 14 (max value on the mobo). On BIOS the setting for RAM just has "AUTO" and 1.9. It´s currently on auto.

Here are some screenshots

70157643.jpg

75929734.jpg

69599912.jpg

Thanks for the help!! :D

Turn Cool N Quiet off. Your core speed is showing 1075 mhz and your core voltage is showing 1.008. We can't see what your true OC settings are that way.

Turn Cool N Quiet off. Your core speed is showing 1075 mhz and your core voltage is showing 1.008. We can't see what your true OC settings are that way.

OK. I´ll do that and post the pics with that feature turned off.

Here´s the new pics.

With this configuration it gave me a blue screen... I´ve went back to 2,9. Yesterday on 3,0 ghz prime95 ran well.

ofakv5.jpg
66vh8n.jpg
1zdvxuo.jpg

Thanks!!

Looks like your core voltage and core temps are very low and there's plenty of room to overclock from that perspective. My guess is that the wall you are currently running into is either that you've exceeded your ram's capability. (It's DDR2 800 and you are currently running it at 832 mhz) or it is the HT Link limitation of the motherboard.

Try this, lower your ram divider from 400/800 to 333/666.

And if you have an adjustment for the HT Link, lower it to 9x from the stock 10x or if it's expressed as a frequency, lower it from 1000 to 900 mhz. With that generation of AMD technology, the HT Link and the NB (or CPUNB) may be combined into one adjustment so that you affect both at the same time when you make a change.

The other thing you need to do, and the most important thing, is just raise the CPU core voltage which is quite low at 1.184. You should be able to go 1.4 or even higher without hurting anything but don't take that big jump all at once. Increase it by .025 to start with and retest at 3.0 ghz.

Looks like your core voltage and core temps are very low and there's plenty of room to overclock from that perspective. My guess is that the wall you are currently running into is either that you've exceeded your ram's capability. (It's DDR2 800 and you are currently running it at 832 mhz) or it is the HT Link limitation of the motherboard.

Try this, lower your ram divider from 400/800 to 333/666.

And if you have an adjustment for the HT Link, lower it to 9x from the stock 10x or if it's expressed as a frequency, lower it from 1000 to 900 mhz. With that generation of AMD technology, the HT Link and the NB (or CPUNB) may be combined into one adjustment so that you affect both at the same time when you make a change.

The other thing you need to do, and the most important thing, is just raise the CPU core voltage which is quite low at 1.184. You should be able to go 1.4 or even higher without hurting anything but don't take that big jump all at once. Increase it by .025 to start with and retest at 3.0 ghz.

First of all thank you!! :)

Yesterday at 3.0 I didn´t ran into any blue screen, only today. Does it have anything to do with CnQ being disabled?

I´ll try that and I´ll come back with the results!!

No, would not have anything to do with Cool N Quiet being disabled. Cool N Quiet technology is only active when the computer is idling and then it serves to lower the CPU speed and voltage. It would disengage under load.

When a system is marginally stable you will see occasional blues screens like that but not consistently necessarily. Sometimes it will come at idle and not under load, especially if Load Line Calibration technology has not been implemented correctly.

I´ve lowered the DRAM setting to 533. There´s no reference in the BIOS options regarding HTlink and the voltage options are just "1.35v" and "ignore". By default it´s on 1.35v.

With this setting I can see now that I have a margin on the DRAM settings (I´ll try now 600 to see if it stays below 800).

1628k28.jpg
2cico7m.jpg

Error on Prime95 with these settings...
otn8cn.jpg

Is there a bios setting for NB or CPUNB? The HT Link and the CPUNB might be tied together in lockstep.

Is there a bios setting for NB or CPUNB? The HT Link and the CPUNB might be tied together in lockstep.

No, nothing. :-/

I´ve just noticed something a bit odd too. When I start FanSpeed the computer crashes,kind of a blue screen, but the image just gets all twisted in lines. :eh?:

Edit: Just once the computer crashed with a bluescreen, the rest was all when I started FanSpeed. I´ve removed it...

Last edited:
HWMonitor is a much better piece of software than Fanspeed when it comes just to monitoring fan speeds, temps and voltages. Better maintained though you can't use it to control the speed of fans.

ya you need more voltage for this chip. I had the same chip 6 years ago. not going to get much more then 3.2 with out lots of volts and cooling. bump the voltage up. should fix all issues

ya you need more voltage for this chip. I had the same chip 6 years ago. not going to get much more then 3.2 with out lots of volts and cooling. bump the voltage up. should fix all issues

In post #10 the OP explains his bios doesn't offer that option.

With the 3.0 P95 had an error, I´ve lowered the FBS from 215 to 214 and now it runs well. The temps max out at 55c so I believe that it´s a good OC taking into consideration the mobo limits... It doesn´t even boot at 3.1. :(

vim89h.jpg
2nscqbo.jpg

Thanks for the help and greetings from Portugal!! ;)

Back