• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC an i7-920 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

conbutts

Hi, sorry for sounding so noob'ish but I would like to overclock my i7-920 to 3.2ghz. I just want to run it at that speed nice and stable without changing my voltage. Can someone please just simply outline what i need to do. Is it as simple as just adjusting the block frequency to 160 in the bios and restarting the computer? Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.

My specs are:

i7 920 2.66
6GB CORSAIR 1600MHz
ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
600w PSU
COOLIT DOMINO A.L.C. CPU LIQUID COOLER

Spyguy

For your small overclock, raising the BCLK by 10MHz increments should be just enough to reach your threshold.

OP
C

conbutts

For your small overclock, raising the BCLK by 10MHz increments should be just enough to reach your threshold.

Thanks for the reply. So, should i raise the BCLK by 10mhz then restart and repeat till i get to 3.26? Or just raise the BCLK 3x10 and then restart?

Spyguy

The i7 has a high potential; so raising it straight up to 3.5 should not be problem.

EDIT: Set BCLK to 175

Last edited:
OP
C

conbutts

The i7 has a high potential; so raising it straight up to 3.5 should not be problem.

so, is it simply raising the bclk in 10mhz increments to the desired speed and restarting the computer. Is that the only setting I need to adjust?

JonSimonzi

Your 920 can easily do 3.2ghz without even breaking a sweat. All you would need to do is raise your bclk to 160, save your setting it the bios, and restart.

Just a heads up though, OCing is addicting, and when you reach your goal (in your case, 3.2ghz), it's never enough. You always need to keep pushing for that next step :p

OP
C

conbutts

Your 920 can easily do 3.2ghz without even breaking a sweat. All you would need to do is raise your bclk to 160, save your setting it the bios, and restart.

Just a heads up though, OCing is addicting, and when you reach your goal (in your case, 3.2ghz), it's never enough. You always need to keep pushing for that next step :p

Thanks for the heads up. :thup:

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I can run 3.8Ghz with HT on below its default voltage.
I run 3.67Ghz without HT .1V below default voltage.
This is a C0 first gen i7-920 CPU I have, and as long as you have cooling power any goal under 3.6Ghz is easy to hit with any i7-920 (non-stock cooler required).