• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oC Newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clown

Registered
I wanna try to oc.. i found a old pc at the basement it might have left by the old owner our house.. so i load it up but when i tried to oc. the cpu was locked how can i unlock it..

DDR-PIII

Disabled
IS IT AN "AMD" if it's not you cannot unlock it.... as it has been told to the countless others.

batboy

Senior Moment
Whether you can overclock a computer or not depends on the motherboard. You'll need to post what brand and model mobo you have and other info. I'm assuming it works ok otherwise, right? Those P-III 700 CPU are a classic overclocker if we can figure out a way to make it run at 133 FSB for 933 MHz.

FIZZ3

Yep, the only way to overclock that p3 is to increase the FSB. Even on 'poor' boards, chances are there is a 133Mhz setting, which would result in 933Mhz for your cpu (7x).

Nice gift you got from the old owner by the way... a 700E chip is all but shabby.

OP
C

Clown

Registered
oh by the way i forgot it was a

P3 700 on a CUV4X-C
Yamaha X-wave Soundcard
128 = 133Sdram
Ati rage pro 4mb

when i set the on 933 = 7x, 133 fsb it won't boot up any idea what i'll do..

batboy

Senior Moment
I think that CUV4X-C mobo must be an Asus (a decent mobo too), so you should have some settings between 100 and 133 FSB. Maybe try 112 FSB at first and see what happens. I suspect you need to improve cooling before attempting the leap to 133 FSB. Also, after you get better cooling, you might need to increase voltage slightly (but do the cooling first). Sounds like a pretty nice rig, lucky you. I still have one of those P-III 700 CPUs, they are a great processor and generally a good overclocker.

Doofie27

Disabled
not fair not fair, i wish i could find stuff like that. If i was you i would get a nice beefy fan for it, because arent socket A fans compatible with socket 370 boards? or is that only a few.....

batboy

Senior Moment
Most socket A coolers will fit on socket 370 CPUs, with maybe a few exceptions. Definitely consider a better CPU cooler and at least one 80mm fan in the lower front of the case blowing in. If you're a gamer, you'll probably want a better vid card, those 4 meg cards just don't quite cut it with the newer 3D games.

nodsetse

Don't forget guys, it could be a memory issue too, especially if it's poor quality and set to use the fast timings. My P3-700 does 933 using default voltage and stock cooling, as do many others. ;)

TUK101

Clown said:
oh by the way i forgot it was a

P3 700 on a CUV4X-C
Yamaha X-wave Soundcard
128 = 133Sdram
Ati rage pro 4mb

when i set the on 933 = 7x, 133 fsb it won't boot up any idea what i'll do..
It could be one of a few problems as to why it wont boot at 133 fsb, but most likely you need to get some better cooling in the case. Start with a better hsf (heatsink/fan) and get a case fan either on the rear of the case if there is a spot for one, or in the lower front of the case, where there is most likely a spot for a fan. When you add the better hsf, you will want to get some quality thermal gel to put between the cpu and the heatsink, like some arctic silver. Then try hitting 133 fsb again. If it still wont boot then you will need to add a bit of voltage, no more than a 10% increase though. Good luck and hopefully a few others will have some good advice for you as well. One other huge upgrade that you should do is add another 128mb stick of pc133 ram to the comp, that is a sizeable performance increase in itself.

OP
C

Clown

Registered
Thanx.. ahh how is vcore related to oc the cpu? sorry for the ignorance. got a geforce4 mx 420 for $15 placed it in UT2K3 runs low.. hehe

FIZZ3

Clown said:
Thanx.. ahh how is vcore related to oc the cpu? sorry for the ignorance. got a geforce4 mx 420 for $15 placed it in UT2K3 runs low.. hehe

A higher VCore will result in a larger differential between 0 and 1. 1 is read out as the higher voltage, and the larger the difference between high and low, the easier it is to read out for the cpu- even if overclocked.

So in other words: more VCore = higher stable speed, at least it often is.

As for Ut2: ditch the mx and get a ti4200. =)

OP
C

Clown

Registered
ok i had it running for about 5 hrs. it was stable at 868 mhz. bu i wanna go more... hihi...about the memory thing what can i do for it to improve performance?