• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC P3-800Mhz to 992Mhz with CD-Rom reading problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sylor

Registered
I've been burning my cpu with Prime95 so that I can run @992Mhz stable. After burning for a while, I can run most of the burning and benchmarking apps such as Prime95, Seti@home, 3DMark2000...without crashing or locking up @992Mhz. However, when I try to play starcraft game which requires a CD, it always gives me reading CD error. I have 2 SCSI CD drives: Plextor 12/4/32 Rewrite, and Toshiba 12x DVD which running on Adaptec 2940 Controller. I also have problem playing dvd movies which i could play @960Mhz. Can any Xpert OCer help?

Your PCI Bus speed is probably too high, this seems to be a problem for most people trying to overclock 800E's.

I have Abit VH6. How do I try to fix this PCI problem? increase it or decrease it? where is usually the PCI setting or what it called?

You do not state your chip type 800e or 800eb. As such one cannot determine the FSB administered in order to acheive 992Mhz.

Is it 124Mhz on an e type or 165Mhz on an eb type chip.

If 165Mhz the problem may be attributable to the PCI bus if you cannot force a divider of 5, but could however be a DMA access problem at such speed. Try dropping the memory ratio to -33Mhz in order to recifiy if this is the proven problem.

If 124Mhz FSB is the case, the FSB/PCI ratio deeming a 41.5Mhz PCI peripheral killer will be caning all of your cards and drives along with your motherboard in general. This is why people choose to overclock P3-700's more so - the PCI ratios at optimal speeds are far more user friendly than with chips such as the 800 or 850.

I have a FCPGA-800E chip, sorry for not include that in the message. And yes it is FSB=124x8=992Mhz. Is there any PCI setting that I can manipulate to lower the PCI frequency to less than 41.3? I wish I could just skip FSB 124Mhz(1/3) and go straight to 133Mhz(1/4)=33.25Mhz, so I dont have this problem, but my PC wont even post @higher than 124MhzFSB. Suggestion is appreciated.

Back