• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC performance gain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

i was jsut wondering what kind of performace gians you saw when overclocking your proccesor. plz post your chip, your overclcok and before and after 3dmark scores. i am trying to get some information before i make a big purchase decision, so i thank you for helping me out.

asj

Well my score in 3dmark 2001 goes up around 500points when I overclock to 2.4Ghz! (from a 2400+ - 2Ghz and a Radeon 9000pro)

Boostin14PSI

OCing your cou will not give that much of a gain in 3dmark. OCing your video card on the other hand may give you significant gains depending on the card.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I think my favorite thing that happens when i overclock is this:

When not overclocked i boot up and the windows thing chimes, then my audigy 2 chime comes on

when overclocked they both play at the same time :D

OP
Footba_SWAT5420

Footba_SWAT5420

lol i was hoping that i could get a signaficently higher 3dmark score. how will it change my fps in say ut2003?

timmyqwest

Disabled
Footba_SWAT5420 said:
lol i was hoping that i could get a signaficently higher 3dmark score. how will it change my fps in say ut2003?

it's hard to say but why dont we put it this way

if you spend XX on a CPU and get it to run as fast as the XXX cpu then why not bother?

Darkseid

Boostin14PSI said:
OCing your cou will not give that much of a gain in 3dmark. OCing your video card on the other hand may give you significant gains depending on the card.

i disagree, that depends on your system i have a 8500le and a tualeron 1.0a, when i overclock it to 1.43 my 3dmark changes waaaaay more than when i overclock only the video card, i post real numbers later

MetalStorm

Okay, I had a similar setup to you, and you will see, there are some quite huge performance increases...

I started with an AMD Athlon (thunderbird CPU) RUNNING at 1.4GHz (1600+) that was with SDRAM and my GeForce 4 Ti 4600 I got 9200 3dmarks

When I got my new system AMD Athlon XP1700+, whcih runs at 1463MHz (so very similar clock speeds) and using PC 3500 DDR ram (in dual channel)... I got 11,000 3dmarks (again un overclocked)

After overclocking the system above to 12x200 (2.4GHz) or XP3000+ speeds I got 14500 3dmarks

You have a faster CPU to begin with, so you should be getting higher scores anyway, but you will end up with just about the same results anyway

As for UT2k3 you will see a very noticable increase in speed, you have a very powerful graphics card, and it is really limited by your processor, the botmatch scores are really the only scores that count, I went from 33 fps (on the firsrt system I stated) to 88 fps, which means my game is totally smooth, I have only found 2 places in game that are able to bring my fps below 40, but thats because of CPU speed, not graphics card!!!

I hope that helps...