• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC questions about an old P4 2.4ghz 100fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenjo

Registered
Hiya..

I have an SL65R Malay
L2098553-0148

cpu that goes to 3ghz at 1.9vcore but kicks me out of windows.. im currently running it at 2766mhz at 1.65vcore not 100% stable though .. idle temp is 35.5 C ?

got any tips for me ?

mayagrafix

WOW! I have a P4 2.53 running stock and the temp is always 41-50 C

Best bet for stability is really good RAM. Also remember that all of your periferials are beign OC too, so u wanna try no extras untill u get stable.

batboy

Senior Moment
You don't say what you have for cooling or what your load CPU temps are, but if you have decent CPU cooling and a couple extra case fans for good ventilation, then try 1.7v. Anything more than that is not good for long term usage. That's actually a good overclock for an older 2.4A. What RAM are you using and what are the settings?

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
im using an arctic cooler.. that supports up to 3.2ghz.. just a cheap part :)

an nope its not cold in sweden :) its hot here now .. :)

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
Im using 2x256 sticks of Crucial 2100 DDR :) i have had them as high as 187mhz cas 2-2-2-5 on my older AMD machine.. but on this ive only reached 160 at cas 2-2-2-6 think its that i can provide enough ram voltage.. on the amd board i could get 3.1 an thats why i hit the high marks.. also ive runned them at 200mhz 2.5 cas.. im running 3:4 on mem :)

batboy

Senior Moment
I think you're temps are ok... increasing the vcore to 1.7v should get you stable at where you're at now. To go higher I see two possible problems: RAM and/or PCI bus speed too high. To see if it's the RAM holding you back, try using the 1:1 ratio and see if you can overclock higher and stay stable. You can always buy better RAM if needed. What motherboard do you have? Can you "fix" the PCI bus. At 115 FSB, the PCI bus is at 38 MHz. I've never gotten much higher than that and stayed stable. If you can fix the PCI bus, then that solves that problem.

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
im using the Asus P4B533-E board an i can fix the PCI/AGP.. i used to have an Epox before this board an with that board i booted into windows at 3ghz.. :( ..
Just ran prime an when my cpu hit 43 degrees it closed down Prime ?
Discoverd that it can be my PSU that is **** up.. the vcore plus all other voltages are jumpin up an down like mad rabbits.. vcore going from 1.66 to 1.58 an back up ?

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
Now this is gonna be a long reply...

I just took the Overvoltage pin an placed it in default position.. that is no extra 0.05vcore.. an enterd bios set my bios set my vcore to 1.65 booted to windows checked the vcore an woops it is still 0.05 more than it should ? ilde temp is now 39 degrees...

i discoverd something that almost made my heart stop.. dont know if its dangerous or not but there is a 4 pin power connector just above the AGP slot on the Asus P4B533-e that is used to supply power to something(forgotten) but i realized when i switched the jumper that it hasnt been connected the last 3 hours ? .. but ive had no hardware problems.. becuse i just started Ocing the cpu again about 10-20 mins ago ? and on all the other occasions ive had that plugged in ? anyone explain why that power connector is there..

cheeses cant wait untill payday gonna get myself a nice 3ghz (800fsb) + a 875chip board + 2x512MB dual channel 3200/3500 ddr :)

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
latest temp update 57degrees when playin CS for 1 hour.. strange .. thats like 18 degrees difference .. **** COOLER :)

batboy

Senior Moment
The square 4 pin connector is an extra power cable for the mobo. I've heard some people claim that you can run the computer without it, but that might cause power fluctuations and instability. It's better to keep it plugged in. Those Asus overvolt, in other words, the vcore is usually actually higher than the BIOS setting.

OP
K

Kenjo

Registered
strangly enough im in windows right now at 2880mhz with an fsb of 120.. an the idle temp is 39 degrees celsius ?

i think the main reason for my instability is that my HSF is a BS one.. cause when i run standard the cpu holds 35c but fulload it hits 52 ?