• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Ryzen 2700 showing High temps with NH-D15

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ButterTush

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so...Hey everyone :)

I built a system for student-level 3d animation:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
COOLER: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus X570-P (newest BIOS)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz CL18
GPU: GTX 1650 SUPER
CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow + 2x140mm NF-A14 as intake fans

The first issue I had was that the memory wouldn't post with it's advertised DOCP profile so I dialed it down to a stable 3400MHz.
The second issue was that the CPU wouldn't boost anywhere beyond 3400MHz on all cores and PBO doesn't really do anything as well for some reason...

Somewhat impatiently, I ended up manually overclocking it to 4.1GHz with 1.325v +LLC [High], with 1.15v on the SOC (probably not necessary), and set a fan curve for the NH-D15, where the fans will reach 70% when the CPU reaches 70c to balance cooling and noise

The overclock is stable, however, HWMonitor, HWinfo and Ryzen master all show an idle CPU temp of 45-55c (with all fans at around 300 RPM) and under full load (Cinebemch R20) the max temp is 77c (fans at around 900RPM)

The room temp is 25-27c...

Are these temps normal for this cpu+OC+cooler combination?

Last edited:
Sounds about right to me. My 2700X idles around 40C and max temp of 77C is also fine. I am impressed you got your memory stable at 3400Mhz honestly :thup:

But my 45-55c still feels rather warm when compared to your 40c...

Besides that...the CPU pulls 140W with the current OC under full load and it reaches 77c...
I've seen reviews online showing the NH-D15 reaching ~85c~ with an overclocked 9900k under full load pulling 200+ Watts...

Something is just not right...

Your ambient temperature is 15C warmer than mine so it is the same idle temps.

Also you can’t compare cpu temps and coolers between different CPUs.

You can worry if you want but if you are stable and not throttling I wouldn’t worry about those temps.

Your ambient temperature is 15C warmer than mine so it is the same idle temps.

Also you can’t compare cpu temps and coolers between different CPUs.

You can worry if you want but if you are stable and not throttling I wouldn’t worry about those temps.
Your room is 50F? Holy cow

But my 45-55c still feels rather warm when compared to your 40c...

Besides that...the CPU pulls 140W with the current OC under full load and it reaches 77c...
I've seen reviews online showing the NH-D15 reaching ~85c~ with an overclocked 9900k under full load pulling 200+ Watts...

Something is just not right...

My 2700X pulls 180W at 3.7Ghz at 100% usage WCG load, At 4.1Ghz sure it will be more then 200W, more like 220W. With stock cooler I have 76C at 160W.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Sounds about right to me. My 2700X idles around 40C and max temp of 77C is also fine. I am impressed you got your memory stable at 3400Mhz honestly :thup:

I guess that stable for him means it posts ;)

Try adjusting your fan curve. Your rpms are just to low for your ambient.

My bad. 5-7C not 15C

My room temp is around 20C.
yeah, that did seem unlikely :)

My 2700X pulls 180W at 3.7Ghz at 100% usage WCG load, At 4.1Ghz sure it will be more then 200W, more like 220W. With stock cooler I have 76C at 160W.
I guess that stable for him means it posts ;)

200W from the wall or just the CPU? Is that a manual OC or PBO? cause it seems pretty high, might have something to do with PBO's liberal voltage usage...
In my system the CPU pulls 140W at 4.1GHz on 1.33750v and it's completely stable...I guess the heat issue was more or less in my head due to my lack of familiarity with Ryzen chips.

76c with the stock cooler begs the question of how much noise the system is generating at that point...

The 3400MHz on the memory is just the memory's factory DOCP profile, only dialed down from the original 3600NHz CL18... so I trust it's quite genuinely stable... I did manage to post and use the system pretty normally at 3533MHz CL16 with parameters provided by Dram Calculator but I haven't fully tested it yet so I'm sticking to 3400MHz for now...

No noise. 2800RPM, I can't barely hear anything. From the wall system pulls 240W at 3.8 on 8 cores, 260W on 16 threads full load at 3.7. idle 140W pulls from the wall, I guess that 60W is idle CPU of 140W.
so that 100W more is 160W at 3.8 on 8 cores. What is interesting is that sensor shows 1.12V 95A core and 900mv 9.75A SOC (1.10V 112A at full load 16 threads)which is far less.

2800RPM?? Holly ****... If it is indeed silent than I take my hat off to whoever engineered it :)) I'm only reaching 700RPM on an NH-D15 at full load...but obviously that's not a good comparison.

However, under full load at 4.1GHz on 8 cores, my whole system pulls 220W from the wall...also, isn't 3.8GHz low for a 2700x under full load? perhaps there is some sort of throttling? maybe it's just how PBO works? Ryzen works in mysterious ways :)

At idle My CPU pulls half the wattage of your CPU, perhaps you have your minimum CPU state set to 90% (rather than 5%) on your windows power plan, which would explain why your CPU sits at a minimum frequency of 3.8GHz at idle, which is why it draws this much power...this was the default setting I had after installing the AMD chipset driver. After changing the "CPU minimum state" value to 5%, my CPU goes as low as 1.5GHz at idle and windows treats my OC (4.1GHz) as the base frequency...

But If you have no noise than I guess it doesn't really matter... It's just strange how wasteful Ryzen can be with it's automatic boost (PBO) feature enabled...especially if it means the stock cooler needs to reach 2800RPM to keep it cool...

2700X calculates power. so at 3.8 on 8 cores it reaches power limit. at 3.7 it reaches power limit for 16 threads. I really doubt that your cooler reaches 76C at 140W, as it is much better then stock.
How you measure power consumption of your computer? I say 260W measured from UPS. Sensor shows much less for CPU. You can google that 2700X draws 200W at 4Ghz.

edit:
I speak of maximum stress to CPU with AVX and WCG. I can run 16 threads with temps below 60C at 4.15Ghz all day long with program that does not use AVX ;)

Last edited:
ok...changed the fan curve a bit so now the fans will go to ~80% (rather than 60%) at 70c... Currently running prime95 on small FFT mode with AVX (supposed to generate the most heat) and I'm sitting at 78c with the fans running at 1000RPM, CPU at 4.1GHz on all cores, power draw from the wall (as indicated on the UPS display) is 240W and that includes 2 monitors which are also connected to the UPS...

So...I don't know, is that good for an NH-D15?...

ok...changed the fan curve a bit so now the fans will go to ~80% (rather than 60%) at 70c... Currently running prime95 on small FFT mode with AVX (supposed to generate the most heat) and I'm sitting at 78c with the fans running at 1000RPM, CPU at 4.1GHz on all cores, power draw from the wall (as indicated on the UPS display) is 240W and that includes 2 monitors which are also connected to the UPS...

So...I don't know, is that good for an NH-D15?...

I think that's excellent for 4.1Ghz and prime95. What's measured on UPS on idle? Mine is 140W. I have rx580 GPU sensor shows ~30W. Monitor is ~25W. Two routers ~25W. So CPU is ~60W on idle.

I think that's excellent for 4.1Ghz and prime95. What's measured on UPS on idle? Mine is 140W. I have rx580 GPU sensor shows ~30W. Monitor is ~25W. Two routers ~25W. So CPU is ~60W on idle.

I have a GTX 1650 super so the max TDP can reach 100W... but at idle it sits at 8w... so that's already 28w in my favor

My monitors probably account for about 20-40W...so that's a few watts in your favor...

On idle my UPS says ~80W...

Did you check your power plan? it could really be the source of the power draw (at idle)... If you want to stretch the speculation even further - the efficiency level of your PSU will also affect the power you actually pull from the wall, especially when it is at <50% capacity (it's the case with most PSUs...aside from the most premium ones)...Mine is a Corsair RM850 (80 PLUS Gold) so not exactly top of the line, but definitely better than average in terms of efficiency at low utilization levels...

As for your power draw at full load I'd say PBO is sometimes allowed to use way to much voltage...some people have reported up to 1.5v to some cores at full load, which is completely unnecessary, as you can see from my OC which runs at a fixed 1.375v... Still (depending on your motherboard) you shouldn't be reaching you power limit at 3.8GHz on all cores... unless your PSU can't supply enough power or your motherboard VRMs are not robust enough to keep up...

Once again, I'm really new to Ryzen (this is my first Ryzen system) so I might be talking out my eh..ehm 'rear end' (trying to avoid: ****)

Last edited:
I don't use PBO, as stock cooler can't keep up. CPB is limited with power, and voltage vary between 1.35V (idle or single core boost) and 1.10V 3.7Ghz all threads, there is no danger.
So yor CPU boosts 240W from 80W, that's sure around 190W I count 30W at idle.

Heh disabled CPB, and now on 8 cores temp 67C and 130W, and 16threads 80C and 170W at 3.7. I think that weak stock cooler is culprit.

On that subject, can anyone please explain which temp is the relevant CPU temp? cause perhaps I'm reading the wrong temps...

hwinfo.jpg

And yeah I'm aware that the temps have changed since my last reply, but that's because of different ambient temps and a different thermal paste (noctua nh2 vs thermal grizzly kryonaut) and apparently kryonaut seems to perform a bit better...for some reason my power usage changed a bit as well...

Anyway... which temp should I be looking at? "Tctl/Tdie"? (at the top) "package"? (at the bottom) "CPU"? (at the bottom as well)

That program is confusing. tctl is 10 degrees more then tdie as it serves as control for throttling. so instead to start throttling as 95C, it throttles as 85C. So which is it? tctl ot tdie?
On Linux sensor readouts on my system currently:
Code:
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Vcore:         1.02 V  
Vsoc:        900.00 mV 
Tctl:         +79.2°C  
Tdie:         +69.2°C  
Icore:        78.00 A  
Isoc:         11.25 A

@ButterTush What does your case setup look like in regards to the fans? There are many threads on CPU temps and I personally feel sometimes less is better in regards to fans. Get the heat out, let the exhaust fans draw the cool air in.

The D15 has big fans, does it exhaust to a rear case fan? What is the path of the air? Can you post a pic.

Back