• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd i7 920 w/ x58 Pro-E locking up at startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dickdoughs

So I'm running an ati radeon 4890 (oc'd to 920/1000), A-Data 3x2 DDR3 1600 mhz ram, asetek LCLC water cooling for my CPU, with a 700w PSU on an x58 Pro-E.

So I realized that, as it was on stock clocks, my ram was running at 1066. Coincidentally, I also wanted to overclock my 920 quite a bit. I wanted to run the ram at 1600 without having to underclock it, so I set the baseclock to 160, which would grant me a modest 3.2 GHz clock to begin with.

Settings I used:

for ram timings i set it to 8-8-8-24,
turbo boost disabled, c-state disabled
memory ratio 1600 and uncore at 3200
QPI configuration I set to auto (I couldn't select anything higher than 4.8 gt/s)
CPU voltage @ 1.35
CPU PLL voltage @ Auto
QPI voltage @ 1.35
DRAM voltage @ 1.65
everything else @ auto

With these settings, I booted up my pc and everything went fine until I got to the windows 7 loading screen, where it hanged for around 25 minutes, until it switched to just the loading bar, which i left for ten minutes until I decided to restart. I screwed with the CPU voltage a bit (if I remember correctly I lowered it, kept QPI the same, got a BSOD) but to no avail. So I set everything back to factory defaults and it loaded win7 just fine.

What's the problem? Am i just incredibly stupid and did something quite simple very wrong? This is my first OC, so I wouldn't be surprised.

psionic98

id say losen your mem timings and work on the i7 chip first.. oc that to where you want it and then tighten up the timings until you're happy...