• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCed Opteron wattage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optymystic

Registered
Thanks, OC Detective!

And now I have a most excellent geek pickup line.

"Hey, baby!! If you had a thermal profile, it would exceed 65 degrees Centigrade!"

Last edited:

Aphex_Tom_9

if you actually want to calculate it exactly, take the base wattage of your cpu (89W for opterons), divide it by the default voltage (1.4 for opterons gives you 63.5 amps), then divide the overclocked voltage by the original (1.7/1.4=1.2). multiply that by the amps (76.7), then multiply that amperage by the overclocked voltage (1.7x76.7=130W).

OC Detective

Only as I said the "base wattage" (TDP) varies acording to the thermal profile and Tcase max. What you have mentioned is a potential worst case scenario (highest Tcase max) for a given thermal profile. I should also point out that none of the rev E Opterons are 89W - the older socket (rev CG) 940 ones were though.

Last edited:

The Coolest

This has been something I was thinking about adding to my program, a claculator of an overclocked wattage of a chip. There is a problem with that formula you see in the first link. Each CPU, has different leakage values, and when you increase voltage and speed, this formula doesn't take the extra leakage into consideration.
It is probably pretty close though. I will add a wattage calculator in the next version.

noxqzs

Im trying to make some sense of this. According to the program, my max case temp should be 49*C? Im having a hard time believing the chip dissipates only 35W. Voltage is off by .06 also(1.41). Unless its reporting stock, but I think its lower than that.

amd64tdp.jpg

The Coolest

Well, I was also very surprised that a lot of the dual core opterons lately have been showing up with the 49C TCM and 35W TDP.
The voltage the program shows is the stock voltage the CPU has programmed into it.
Did you have a DC chip before this one, and did it run hotter/cooler than the old chip you had (stock settings specifically).

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Up mines a 49C TDP with 35W, 1.35V.

It does run pretty cool so I could see it running that type of wattage. I mean heck a decent OC and it still runs pretty cool :)

OC Detective

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
35W DC? AMD's processor spec thing says it's 110W for all DC opterons...
You appear to be missing the point and I suggest you read The Coolest's thread about this. The 110W you are referring to (presumably from amdcompare.com) is as I have said the absolute worst case scenario for the highest applicable Tcase max for the given thermal profile.
If you read the link The Coolest provides in his thread to the AMD tech specs you will see that the range for a 1 way DC Opteron can go from a TDP of 35W for a TCase max of 49C to 110W For a TCase max of 65C with another 7 possibilities between these two extremes.