• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCH 500GPH pump/res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istari1

ANyone have this pump/res or have any expereince with it? I like that fact its already modded to work on a standard Molex and its a res and pump. But anyone know how loud it is and wether or not its got any kind of durability? Yes I know Eheims are better but thats not what I want to know:) . After all I can get this thing for $70 and its already got a good res and pumps 500 GPH or I can get for $116 the 600 GPH Ehiem and have to mod up a relay and no res. Thanks all.

Istari

technician

A guy on AMDZone has one of these. He said that so far it's an A+ product. I'm looking into this myself, I don't care if it's not the best in the biz, it just would be nice not to have to mod my case further to get a pump/res inside, and this would be my ticket out of that. Anyone else have some personal experience with it?

OP
Istari1

Istari1

technician said:
A guy on AMDZone has one of these. He said that so far it's an A+ product. I'm looking into this myself, I don't care if it's not the best in the biz, it just would be nice not to have to mod my case further to get a pump/res inside, and this would be my ticket out of that. Anyone else have some personal experience with it?

Darn, cant quote sigs. hey tehc. your sig says you have Win2K Pro with Service Pack 3??? When did SP3 come out, I thought we were still on SP2. . . typo or am I confused? Anyway, someone tell me about this pump, hehe

Istari

meatpipe

Registered
I've got a OCH 500 pump/res sitting in the original box in my basement. I swear it's got less than 1/2 hour on it. Noisy as hell, it's just a submerged bilge pump. Added too much heat and air to the water, come to Connecticut, you can have it for $25.

technician

YGPM on that pump/res meatpipe.

A friend sent me SP3, so I don't know where he got it, and have been too lazy to look for myself. Here's the info off my box:

SP.jpg

Just noticed that I needed to get that oter stick of RAM fixed :(

cack01

Service pack 3 has been out for about a month I believe, it mainly fixed some security holes.

I would stay away from OCH I had the same exact pump/res except I didn't have the 500GPH version. Its very loud, most people complain about them leaking at the top by the powercord outlet (mine leaked too), Unless you have a monster PSU 400W+ then you may start noticing stability issues especially when you O/C. Also its damn near impossible to take the res apart. All the screws on mine came stripped, which I'm sure was an isolated incident, but they also use some black glue/sealent which it tuff to get off. I used it for about 6 months and although it did its job perfectly, it was a huge hassel along the way. I just feel there are better chocies out there.

zervun

Stay away from all OCH stuff. The pumps are bildge and should NOT be used in watercooling. Bildge pumps are not meant for continuous usage. I've read multiple people who have the crappy OCH res with either the 250 or the 500 bildge in it that have died within 2 months of usage. Do yourself a favor and get a ehiem or another mag drive pump. To top it off OCH is scandalous, takes weeks to ship their stuff, and is horendously aweful on their warentee stuff. Don't know if it's still true, but they used to void your warentee if you used any type of anitcorrosive. Last time I was on their forums taking a peek around, there were numerous users with algae buildups in their systems because they were told not to use waterwetter. OCH is the #1 worst place to get your watercooling things from period. The only good product they make is the z4 and it's not that spectacular. Do a search on the various forums for OCH and you'll find oodles of info on the horendous experiences people have had with them. If you want to risk your processor and computer burning up they are a good choice =p. There are dozens of quality watercooling stores out there, order from one of those.

cack01

zervun said:
Last time I was on their forums taking a peek around, there were numerous users with algae buildups in their systems because they were told not to use waterwetter.

This is 100% fact, on the instructions it says to use only water, or your warenty is void. Of course I added wetter and antifreeze anyways, and nothing happened. I really wish I could get this res open, so I could see all the junk that is probably inside that I have never been able to clean out. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from the res/pump. The Z4 is ok, I have it in the sig below, but its very far from the best.

zervun

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=4079

More OCH funny stuffs, this is a link to proforums where they are talking about the latest review of och stuffs by techware labs. ipkonfig did the same thing a while back. Making nice reviews of products for free equipment heh. Really funny.

My personal favorite quote also stole from the thread.

Being magnetically driven this pump is made to last longer than Ehiem pumps and runs quiter than their high end models.

can you say LOL, I guess I better send back my mechanically driven poor lasting Ehiem pump =p. Funny? It doesn't make any noise =p I must be on crack. wheres my crack pipe! hahahahahahaha

I suppose at least OCH replaced those bildge pumps with semi-decent mag drives, about the only good thing they have done

Last edited: