• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing and RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

I just wanted to throw out there that I am having some issues with my RAID and OC combined past a certain OC. At about 458 FSB I can not load into Win 7 64 bit and I get, best that I can tell, what is a read error from the HDD. In my sig is the last stable OC that I was able to get the setup to and still able to load into Win 7. Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be? :chair:

glussier

Are you sure that it is 458 and not 418? Have you locked the pci-e bus to 100mhz? With the same motherboard as yours, I am able to reach 500mhz based frequency, and my raid setup still works perfectly.

Shadowmonk

Make sure pcie freq is locked to 100 and make sure all spread spectrum or spectrum options are turned off.

OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

Are you sure that it is 458 and not 418? Have you locked the pci-e bus to 100mhz? With the same motherboard as yours, I am able to reach 500mhz based frequency, and my raid setup still works perfectly.
I am sure that it is 458. Currently with the system stable I have it set to 433. The reason that my FSB is so high is due to the low multiplier on my CPU of only 8X. The PCI Bus is locked in at 100.
Could you happen to post your BIOS settings by any chance sot hat I could compare to see what the differences are?
Make sure pcie freq is locked to 100 and make sure all spread spectrum or spectrum options are turned off.
PCI locked and all spread spectrum options disabled.
:comp:

glussier

Could you happen to post your BIOS settings by any chance sot hat I could compare to see what the differences are?

Give me a day, and I'll post the settings. Right now that mobo is folding 24/7 with a q8400 @ 3.6ghz, the raid is still in there @ 3.6ghz (8*450) with no problem with the raid setup. Up to 465, the only settings I have to touch are the vcore and ram voltage.

Right now the ram being used is Crucial Ballistic 800mhz that won't overclock past 900mhz. Tomorro, I'll install better ram and show you 500mhz based freq. with the raid working with the same q8400.

OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

I have my NB set to 1.4 and the SB was on auto. I changed that to 1.20 since it said that norm was 1.10. I haven't had the time to sped with the comp over the past few days to OC it again. Oh, and thanks for taking the time to post those BIOS settings in advance. That is a pain to do. I am lazy so... that's really going tot extra mile in my book.

Speaking of changes that I can make. There is also a NB refrence voltage. The first time that I was OCing I had to change that to .63 I think it was and that really helped. Mind you at that time I was getting a complete BSOD instead of just what appear to be read errors. Could that hold any significance?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Leave all the ref's on auto for now...

Try lowering the multi and raise the FSB. 45nm Quads tend to be FSB limited. You dont have a bad board at all, but it just may not like any more FSB. Only one way to tell (see 1st sentence of this paragraph).

glussier

Leave all the ref's on auto for now...

Try lowering the multi and raise the FSB. 45nm Quads tend to be FSB limited. You dont have a bad board at all, but it just may not like any more FSB. Only one way to tell (see 1st sentence of this paragraph).

I never seen a 45nm Intel quad being fsb limited below 470mhz based freq., Thought early bios of the p5q-e could not reach over 440mhz. He might first want to flash his bios to the latest version, which is bios version 2101.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There are plenty of boards that wont crack 450FSB with a Yorkfield (limit is on the board, not the CPU at those speeds). ;)

I agree whole heartedly agree to try a bios flash if you cant crack that FSB number by lowering the multi.

glussier

There are plenty of boards that wont crack 450FSB with a Yorkfield (limit is on the board, not the CPU at those speeds).

When I say "I never seen", I mean in front of me, not on the internet. I know there are plenty of motherboards that wouldn't suit me. ;) I want my cpu to be the oc limitation, not the motherboard.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you get an Extreme Yorkfield quad, you wont run into that problem. Otherwise, its going to happen.

I have one of the top boards for Yorkfield quads and I hit a wall at 523FSB. My chip has plenty left in her too as she was only at 1.44v for 4.707Ghz.

OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

I never seen a 45nm Intel quad being fsb limited below 470mhz based freq., Thought early bios of the p5q-e could not reach over 440mhz. He might first want to flash his bios to the latest version, which is bios version 2101.

I had updated the BIOS somet time ago and it was tot he 2101 version. :D I like being up to date. Trying the suggestion of lowering the multi now. :chair:

OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

Speaking of changes that I can make. There is also a NB refrence voltage. The first time that I was OCing I had to change that to .63 I think it was and that really helped. Mind you at that time I was getting a complete BSOD instead of just what appear to be read errors. Could that hold any significance?

Correction to this ^
I was actually speaking about the CPU GTL Voltage Refrence (0/2) and "CPU" (1/3). Those are both set to .630. Those made a huge difference last time that I was OCing this board. If this even helps any. ><

OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

PSU?

Ok so. Interesting. I changed the suggested settings and they did allow me to make it into Win 7, however this did lower my OC to 3.4GHZ so no harm no fowl. >< The interesting thing that I noticed was a sound that sounded like it was coming from the PSU. Like an electrical arcing sound... kinda like well yea. Anyway not a good sound I would imagine. I thought it was the fans at first but I moved them away and the sound was still there. I use IntelBurnTest and LinX to test to get a quick feel for the OC before I start with P95. I noticed that the sound gets louder under load... adding to suspicion pointing at the PSU. The PSU is listed below and is correct a Cooler Master 700W. I do have 6 120mm fans plus the UHS Pana's attached to the rad. All that necessary equipment.

I haven't seen any indications form the PSU that it is faulty as of late. It isn't hot to the touch and it's well ventilated. I use the rad fans to blow air on it. the ambient temp in the room hovers at around 75-78F.

Is it possible that I am putting to much load on the PSU and it is not allowing me to OC further? :shock:

glussier

I noticed that the sound gets louder under load...

Go in the bios and set CPU & PCIE spread spectrum to disable.

Ok so. Interesting. I changed the suggested settings and they did allow me to make it into Win 7, however this did lower my OC to 3.4GHZ

What was the multi and fsb used?

I think your power supply should have no problem overclocking your cpu.

For 500mhz fsb, I leave everything on auto, except for NB Voltage, which I set to 1.32volt. I Leave GTL ref and FSB termination voltage to auto. My q8400, q9400, q9505 can all do 500mhz fsb with that setting. As for my qx9650, I never was able to go over 470 with that cpu, this is a C0 stepping which was purchased back in Dec. 2007.

As for raid, I never had a raid problem, with any of these cpus at 500mhz based freq. nor did I have any with an E8600 on an identical motherboard at 560mhz based freq.

All my computers have corsair 750tx power supplies, except for my i7 920 which has a Corsair 1000HX

Last edited:
OP
Coreyoliseffect

Coreyoliseffect

What was the multi and fsb used?
7.5 Multi which lowered the overall clock as expected and 458 on the FSB. It seems like th OS won't load if the FSB is to high. Umm.. let me go back in and change to your suggestions again and play around some more. I need to spend some quality time with it. Although with those settings, 7.5 multi and 458 FSB, both LinX and IntelBurn failed. I thank you for all of your help. :D