• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocing on a budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawtrawkr

hey guys sorry to seem so n00bish id appreciate any help anyone could give me though

i just got a new p4 2.4b cpu my mobo is a soyo p4x400 dragon-lite and im running 768 mbs of corsair xms 3200 ram im on a extreme budget since im only 14 yrs old and dont have much for money coming to me on a regular basis'

what i was wanting to know is if this mobo is decent for ocing? and what kind of speeds could i expect to pull out of this system? should i start trying to get some money toghether for a new mobo? i see alot of refrences to abit and asus on the boards but hardly a thing on soyo boards ( so im wondering if there junk in the oc arena) so any help would be greatly appreciated

once again thanks for any help you could give me in this area or tips for a noob ocer trying to get a start on a budget

Last edited:

JaY_III

Senior of BX
soyo makes ok boards.....
should be fine for a system to learn on....

What i am going to recomend to you is.
If you cant affored to break it, play it safe.
Never rase the voltage over 10%. and for that matter, dont up the voltage if your cpu is running in the 50's.

The best upgrade you will be able to do is buy a good heatsink, then you can start to play and overclock.

I am guessing this is a custom made computer for your entire Family? If it is for your entire family, be extra carefull or get permission to "tweak it" as you dont want mom and dad yelling over you for this.

So, whats your current full load temps?

batboy

Senior Moment
Soyo ain't the best mobo on the block, but they ain't the worse either. First off, you need to check the temps at default speed. Run a program like Prime95 for 20 minutes to find out your load temps. Do you have any case fans for ventilation? Next, check to see if there is a BIOS setting that will allow you to "fix" the PCI bus to default. If not, then you won't get much above 150 FSB before the PCI bus gets to far out of spec. Speaking of 150 FSB, that should be an easy overclock to try just to get your feet wet. That will give you 2.7 gig, a nice 300 MHz jump in speed. Check temps and test for stability. Almost all the new 2.4B CPUs have a 3 gig potential if you have good components and good cooling. Good luck dude.

OP
hawtrawkr

hawtrawkr

k im getting prime 95 now

atm i have 2 of the 80mm fans i believe on case ones bringing air in and ones exhaust

there is a option for the pci/agp speed in bios i think thats what your talking about in regards to the default pci bus

also this is my comp my family is running a diffrent one for them to use i basicly put this system toghether with christmas/b-day money if something on it burns up id be upset but with summer coming up ill be able to generate some more money mowing lawns and whatnot (a whopping 120 a month from mowing but i dont have any other living expenses atm)

after i run prime95 for a half hour or so ill post my temps here thanks for the assistance guys i appreciate the help

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Defualt PCI BUS is 33Mhz and can be obtained by dividing the FSB by your PCI divider...
So at a 133 FSB the divider is for.
133 / 4 = 33
at 150 FSB it is running at 37MHz and most PCI devices should still be ok at this speed... so not too much to sweat over.

If you do have the option to set the PCI/AGP speed...
Set the PCI to 33 and the AGP to 66 as that is the stock speed and will cause you the least amount of greif.

OP
hawtrawkr

hawtrawkr

k i ran prime95 for about 25 minutes or so and my temp toggled between 44.0 and 44.5

also in my bios i have this option Auto Detect PCI/DIMM clk
i didnt see any otpions to manualy set the pci/agp bus speeds though :(

batboy

Senior Moment
Temps look good. Time for a little fun now. Time to overclock that puppy. I'd try 140 FSB first, then maybe 145 and then 150 FSB. Each time checking temps and testing for stability. Hopefully someone that had this mobo will respond and tell us if you can fix the PCI bus.