• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidoh1

I have an Asus V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB . I have read in some forums that overclocking it is easy. Whenever I try to overclock mine, even just a slight increase, my system becomes unstable. Do I need to increase the voltage for it? What program should I use? I have an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton on an EPoX 8rda+ mobo. I also have 512MB DDR PC2700. It is OC'd to 175x12.5. Thanks.

Kidoh

Socket eh?

Does it happen when you increase the ram or core? or either?
Also, I always recommend testing a vid card o/c with everything else in your system at stock.

JupiterSSJ4

Registered
what kind of cooling does the gpu have? and the ram too? If it is good cooling, you might want to check if the gpu heatsink is securely on.

What are the volatages on your power supply like?? If they are too low, you won't be able to overclock.

Puer Aeternus

My card would become unstable at slight O/C's..the trick is start big and work down. Try a 300/600 O/C first and work down or up depending on what kind of stability you get. My card is happy at 300/600...and that was w/ stock cooling. Now since I chose to keep my card at 300/600, I added extra cooling to ensure the life of my Ti4200.

You should be able to O/C that Asus no prob..dont be afraid to tinker..remember that the NVidia Drivers have a built in feature that when you O/C and reboot you can press Ctrl and that will default your cards core/mem.

JupiterSSJ4

Registered
Puer Aeternus said:
You should be able to O/C that Asus no prob..dont be afraid to tinker..remember that the NVidia Drivers have a built in feature that when you O/C and reboot you can press Ctrl and that will default your cards core/mem.

When do you do that? Press CTRL I mean? When the PC is first restarting???, because if it freezes and restarts, they default anyway... unless you have a program that overclocks it at startup, even then, it would not be OC'd until you restarted back into Windows.

Derivative

Maybe I just got a bad specimen, but my asus v9280 can only hit 550 mem, anything 550 - 560 gets artifacts, and above 560 doesnt even work.

core goes to 300 artifact free. stock hs/fan

Bobby

Derivative said:
Maybe I just got a bad specimen, but my asus v9280 can only hit 550 mem, anything 550 - 560 gets artifacts, and above 560 doesnt even work.

core goes to 300 artifact free. stock hs/fan

What memory chips are on your card? It sounds like you have 4ns chips. I have a MSI 128mb with 4ns chips (446mhz ddr) and I'm at 550mhz stable. I was able to get it to about 580 or so before I started getting artifacts. This is about right for 4ns chips. Some newer 128mb cards are coming with 3.6ns or 3.3ns chips that are getting over 600mhz easy.

My core went to about 325mhz. I run it 300/550 just to be on the safe side and it's stable.

-Bobby

Puer Aeternus

JupiterSSJ4 said:

When do you do that? Press CTRL I mean? When the PC is first restarting???, because if it freezes and restarts, they default anyway... unless you have a program that overclocks it at startup, even then, it would not be OC'd until you restarted back into Windows.
Capture.jpg

axhed

i've got the same card and it hasn't really oc'd for me for crap! stock speeds were 250/514 i believe, and the best i could get was around 270/570, and that was with both sides off the case, and a 120mm fan standing on the floor of the case blowing into the corner under the video card.
after fiddling with my memory timings i was able to get 12094 in 3dmark2001.

here's a link to an overclocked p3 with the v9280td that scored 9000+: http://www.intelforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=77

here's a question for other v9280td owners...
you guys get random screen resolution changes? it's really cut down since i upgraded to the 43.45D drivers (up from 30.xx).

rush69

i got asus g4 4200 and i just d/l coolbits which enabled me to see the hidden clock freq for my videocard, but everything is at 0 and most i can go on core clock and memory clock is 100. is there a reason to this?

im runnig asus a7n8x-dx
Xp 2000 and 160fsb = 1800ghz

Bobby

Did you restart? I saw the stock settings in the middle and I was able to adjust up or down from there.

-Bobby

rush69

about 5 times after that. :/

im using 44.03 drivers.

VGA Memory Clock 445.5 MHz
VGA Core Clock 249.8 MHz

thast what 3dmark2003 says.

is there any other tools i can use to oc my card?

rush69

i found out the problem. nvidia tool had to run at startup. not the oc tool but i guess the nvidia driver thing "Nvcpl" now its all good... thx man

axhed

well i take that back... i just found powerstrip on my computer, and i turned a case fan around. so far i got my asus v9280td cranked up to 300/600.

rush69

got mine to

tried

but it would give me wierd lines time to time when 3dmark is benching so i clocked it down. will installed thermal sensor tomorrow to see how hot it is...

Bobby

Rush - try smaller increments like 5mhz. Do one first, then the other. Slowly bump the gpu first until it's unstable, then back off 2 or 3 mhz, then slowing bump the memory until it's unstable, then back off 2 or 3 mhz. It takes time and a lot of testing. Jumping 50 mhz won't get you far.

-Bobby

Puer Aeternus

Bobby said:
Rush - try smaller increments like 5mhz. Do one first, then the other. Slowly bump the gpu first until it's unstable, then back off 2 or 3 mhz, then slowing bump the memory until it's unstable, then back off 2 or 3 mhz. It takes time and a lot of testing. Jumping 50 mhz won't get you far.

-Bobby
I disagree!
I notice that small increments at lower O/C's got more artifacts...there is a nice balance w/ core and Mem and sometimes lower o/c's dont fair well. I still say start high and work down...you will find a happy place where core/mem play nice together. 300/600 is more stable for me than 250/550.
Working up will get you more frusterated!
Post back if you try this....I am curious if it makes a diff on your card.

Edit: 300/600 is a good place to start...as long as your cooling is good it wont hurt to start high and then work down or up..besides 300/600 is pretty average for ti4200 O/C so this is a safe number.

Last edited:

Bobby

Actually, it depends on the memory on the card. Most of the newer 128mb Ti4200's have 3.6ns or 3.3ns memory chips that allow for o/c'ing past 600. I have the older 4ns memory that will almost never get past 600mhz. I've been looking at all the reviews of my card and the highest I've seen for mine o/c'd was 333/585. I started at 300/550 and went up. I hit the ceiling at 328/582 or thereabouts. I use 300/550 for everyday because I don't need that extra 3-5% extra performance.

-Bobby

Puer Aeternus

Bobby said:
Actually, it depends on the memory on the card. Most of the newer 128mb Ti4200's have 3.6ns or 3.3ns memory chips that allow for o/c'ing past 600. I have the older 4ns memory that will almost never get past 600mhz. I've been looking at all the reviews of my card and the highest I've seen for mine o/c'd was 333/585. I started at 300/550 and went up. I hit the ceiling at 328/582 or thereabouts. I use 300/550 for everyday because I don't need that extra 3-5% extra performance.

-Bobby

Good point!