• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing with the FX-8370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read your entire progress... Going from wanting all air cooling... getting a better case... then diving into an AIO... haha

I have 2133 mhz ram on my FX 8350. I also have 32 GB of ram.

Your motherboard claims it supports "Supports DDR3-2133(OC) Memory"

So did mine and it worked. I am just wondering how you tried at the start to get 2133 mhz.
Do you not have 2133 mhz ram or is it just 1866. If you didn't get 2133 mhz ram it kindof makes sense. All I did was when it wasn't overclocked I enabled the SPD and set the right voltage for ram in bios.

ram.jpg

i have 2133 memory. ive been told anything higher than around 1866 doesnt mend well with amd cpu's

Last edited:
You would probably get more gains from overclocking more as higher ram speed limits overclock.

You'll see almost no improvements in day to day functions by overclocking ram. It shows only in benchmarks.
CPU MHz is still king.

I know this is going back in time with this type of system.

When I build the similar system I was totally hoping for a 3rd generation FX chip that would be 10 - 15 % faster.
I would have ran out and got it.

There was bulldozer, piledriver, then I was crossing my fingers for steamroller.(or even Excavator !!!!)
But they didn't bring steamroller to AM3+ and instead did the stupid FX 9000 series. That was sad.

on another note i cant seem to up the multiplier. im stuck at 4.5 @ 1.456v. i have tried to up the multiplier only to 4.6. i've left voltage where it is, lowered it 1 notch, bumped it up a few notches, and still comes up with an error about the decimal being off. cant seem to move forward

Rounding error needs more vcore.
You are at the wall. You'll need a good bump of voltage to break through that.
Unfortunately, your temps will not like it. You are at the end of your cooling solution.

well now i know for sure it needs more. it sits at +.03000 for 4.5. think i have tried +.08000 for 4.6 and it still didnt like it.

Last edited:
well its been nearly 2 months now and havent touched it since. still working great thanks to all you guys! thx for the help!

It's all luck of the draw with CPUs, I had an 8320 that ran over 5.0 GHz and stable at 5.0 with 1.45V
If you're at that position where you're adding a lot of voltage for that next 100 MHz you likely won't go much further without improving your cooling. The NH-D15 is a great air cooler but it's still limited. Many who ran FX at 5.0 daily used some type of water cooling.

Yeah, the NH-D15 throws the towel at around 1.4v-1.5v. The Sabertooth (the r2.0 at least) shouldn't need any additional VRM cooling though, i run 4.7ghz 1.44v daily and the only time they ever went above 50c was with Prime95 (maxed at ~65c) :D

Last edited:
seeing how everything is running smoothly is there somewhere i could start on maybe OC'ing the MB?

seeing how everything is running smoothly is there somewhere i could start on maybe OC'ing the MB?

^ Unless you want to to start having errors or such, leave the mobo & ram out of the picture. You have hit your AIR Cooling Wall and you need better cooling to go Higher/Faster. No matter what else you do, you can not exceed your current CPU Speed.

You can tweak the FSB and RAM for an additional 1%-3% gain. You will only see BIG gains in benching NOT in every day use. If you want a Stable Computer leave it where it's at.

Back