• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing XP 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Faisal

Registered
Joined
May 16, 2003
Location
Houston
Ok i'm OC'ing my 2400+ on my NF7-S, and i've got

166x15
Core Voltage is at 2.1
and chipset voltage is at default.

now under what cirumstance do I have to raise the chipset voltage?

Anytime i try to run higher than 166, like i tried 170x15, but it didn't take. My ram voltage is still the same 2.6v, and i'm using samsung ddr333, i intend on getting some 400Mhz ddr but i have to work with this for now. any advice? also whats the highest voltage i can take that processor to? any help would be great. Thanks.

-Faisal
 

Solari

Registered
Joined
May 10, 2003
Location
Helsinki, Finland
170x15 is like 2550MHz dude! Are you sure your CPU can handle that? I'd lower the multiplier to 10, and see how far you can push the FSB... that way you only see the highest stable FSB. Then test how far your CPU will go, and then mix the two together. Also when hitting FSB's near 200MHz, you might want to raise the DDR voltage a bit. What cooling do you have?
 
OP
F

Faisal

Registered
Joined
May 16, 2003
Location
Houston
Cpu has a Thermalite SLK-800 with the thermaltake Duct mod, and directly infront of the thermaltake fan for the processor theres a big 120MM fan blowing air towards the CPU and the ram, 1 of the sticks of ram has heatspreaders on both sides, and one has a heat spreader on one side and heatsinks on the other.

As of right now at 2506Mhz, the full load temp is about 48C
And i''ve also got a flat thermal sensor stuffed between the heatspreader and ram on the one with the spreaders on both sides and temps are 30C.

Trying to give as much detail as possible ;)

Thanks in advance :D

-Faisal
 

The Coolest

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
pacino said:
First off, how long do you wanna keep this chip for? .. 2.1v Tbred on air? geez ... I'd lower the multi and shoot for the highest FSB you can reach. Then we talk :D

Exactly, you're running under crazy voltages. I wouldn't go higher than 1.95v on air, even if the cooling can handle it, as the chip will just die very quickly because of overvolting. The limiting factor is the CPU, not the RAM. As suggested below lower the multiplier to the lowest possible setting (that works) and see how high you can get the FSB with mem voltage not exceeding 2.7-2.8volts.. when you hit that maximum stable FSB, start upping the multi and see how high your chip will go at 1.9 (1.95 total MAX) volts and stick with that setting

Also what's the CPU's stepping and what motherboard are you using?
 
OP
F

Faisal

Registered
Joined
May 16, 2003
Location
Houston
good advice guys, at the setting i had it at i was scoring a little under 7000 for the cpu and about 4200 for the memory,

now at 185x13 i've got 2406Mhz at 1.9v, and memory is at 2.8v
Cpu Scored 7244, and the memory scored 5209. and the full load temp is at 42c, idle is 40c

I also upped the chipset voltage from 1.6(default) to 1.7

i'm glad i posted here :D Thanks for the help.

-Faisal
 

scubaseppy

New Member
Joined
May 17, 2003
Location
Minneapolis
Faisal said:
good advice guys, at the setting i had it at i was scoring a little under 7000 for the cpu and about 4200 for the memory,

now at 185x13 i've got 2406Mhz at 1.9v, and memory is at 2.8v
Cpu Scored 7244, and the memory scored 5209. and the full load temp is at 42c, idle is 40c

I also upped the chipset voltage from 1.6(default) to 1.7

i'm glad i posted here :D Thanks for the help.

-Faisal

I can't belive you are getting that

I have your same exact set up a 2400 with a NF7-s and the max I have been able to get is 195 fsb with x11.5 thats with 1.825 volts
anything more it becomes unstable

I have kingston pc 3500 @ 8-2-2-2.5

Any suggestons? i want to get the FSB up to 216 is it possible?
 
OP
F

Faisal

Registered
Joined
May 16, 2003
Location
Houston
I've gone thru Alot of bs trying to OC this CPU, i've gone thru a chantec board, an a7v8x, an a7n8x delux, and now the NF7-S, i wasn't able to get anythiong over 2ghz with the chaintec board, and both the asus boards the highest i got was 170x13 @ 1.85v,
the NF7-S was, in my case, the only one that worked out. and it wasn't untill i got the thermalite heatsink that i was able to get stable operation out of it, When i was using the volcano 9 it would run either stable and HOT, like over 60c hot, or unstable and cool.

BTW: i'm up to 190x13 :D
 

xcelerator

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2003
Location
Hawaii
if u wanna run high voltages go for watercooling......my friend got his running at 2.2v with watercooling @ 2.61ghz 2100+
 

The Coolest

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
I personally wouldn't really recommend this high voltage unless it was done with super cooling, even then the chip wouldn't live very long. 2.2volts might've been tolerable on a Palomino with great cooling, but in my opinion for a 1.6 default volt chip and 0.13µm process 2.2v is too much. The chip will propably start degrading very quickly, even with good temps.
But its only what I think, I might be wrong here and he got lucky, but I wouldn't recommend going above 2-2.1 with WC

PS: Also on a side note, your sig is just too big for the rules in this place, and I think you should read this before someone with a higher rank than me will comment you about it :)
 

hitechjb1

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2003
scubaseppy said:


I can't belive you are getting that

I have your same exact set up a 2400 with a NF7-s and the max I have been able to get is 195 fsb with x11.5 thats with 1.825 volts
anything more it becomes unstable

I have kingston pc 3500 @ 8-2-2-2.5

Any suggestons? i want to get the FSB up to 216 is it possible?

What rev is your NF7-S?

Since you have PC3500 memory which is rated to handle 217 MHz.

If the mb is rev 2 which supports 200 MHz, then it should run at least 200 MHz, unless the memory or mb is defeative (not likely).

The mb with older rev and older chipset stepping may not be able to run at 200 MHz at default, unless a chipset Vdd mod is in place.
 

scubaseppy

New Member
Joined
May 17, 2003
Location
Minneapolis
hitechjb1 said:


What rev is your NF7-S?

Since you have PC3500 memory which is rated to handle 217 MHz.

If the mb is rev 2 which supports 200 MHz, then it should run at least 200 MHz, unless the memory or mb is defeative (not likely).

The mb with older rev and older chipset stepping may not be able to run at 200 MHz at default, unless a chipset Vdd mod is in place.


I have the 2.0 version but i have kingston pc 3500 and from what i've been reading on these forums the nForce 2 is not liking it

Is anyone else running PC 3500 Hyper-x ??
 

pacino

The devil’s advocate
Joined
Dec 23, 2001
Location
Where the hottest chicks reside!
The Coolest said:
I personally wouldn't really recommend this high voltage unless it was done with super cooling, even then the chip wouldn't live very long. 2.2volts might've been tolerable on a Palomino with great cooling, but in my opinion for a 1.6 default volt chip and 0.13µm process 2.2v is too much. The chip will propably start degrading very quickly, even with good temps.
But its only what I think, I might be wrong here and he got lucky, but I wouldn't recommend going above 2-2.1 with WC

PS: Also on a side note, your sig is just too big for the rules in this place, and I think you should read this before someone with a higher rank than me will comment you about it :)

I second that.