• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC8500 how far can it be pushed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Ok I have some OCZ PC8500 5-5-5-15 (ddr2-800) and i have pushed it to 4-4-4-14 @ 400 fsb normal volts.
My question is anybody pushed this ram?
I only bought it when I had to RMA my Kingston ram and didn't want to go without my computer during the RMA process, so now I have it mixed in with my (good)ram.. Kingston PC1200.
I know that the kingston ram will do [email protected] @1.9v, but when I tried to push the OCZ ram the PC not only did not boot, but it kept looking to the hdd for a bios image, and I had to reset the bios in order to get the rig back to where I was b4 I clocked the ram.
I am not sure where to start with this POS ram or even if it is worth it to try.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
I am also considering selling the OCZ and getting some more high end ram if the price is right....I am now used to having 4 gigs of ram and going back to 2 gig seems counterproductive.
thks for any and all suggestions,
Doc

Edit: that should say PC6400 not PC8500 Duh!

grishenko45

hang on...so you've got DDR2-800's in?

I had a 2*2gb kit - stock 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v 800mhz
I got them running at 1074mhz - 5-5-5-15 @ 2.22v easy!!! no sweat!! effeortless overclockers - might might have just been a good kit? who knows!!

good luck OC'ing those bad boys!

Mine were OCZ Reapers HPC PC2-6400 - they were and awesome pair!

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Ok I have some OCZ PC8500 5-5-5-15 (ddr2-800) and i have pushed it to 4-4-4-14 @ 400 fsb normal volts.
My question is anybody pushed this ram?
I only bought it when I had to RMA my Kingston ram and didn't want to go without my computer during the RMA process, so now I have it mixed in with my (good)ram.. Kingston PC1200.
I know that the kingston ram will do [email protected] @1.9v, but when I tried to push the OCZ ram the PC not only did not boot, but it kept looking to the hdd for a bios image, and I had to reset the bios in order to get the rig back to where I was b4 I clocked the ram.
I am not sure where to start with this POS ram or even if it is worth it to try.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
I am also considering selling the OCZ and getting some more high end ram if the price is right....I am now used to having 4 gigs of ram and going back to 2 gig seems counterproductive.
thks for any and all suggestions,
Doc

Edit: that should say PC6400 not PC8500 Duh!

Any chance we can talk you into giving us a link to the exact model of OCZ RAM?

OP
DocClock aka MadClocker

DocClock aka MadClocker

I didn't buy the ram online so no link..most of the PCClub stores (where I bought the ram) went belly up anyhow, at least the one in my town. :(
I still have the package, but it ain't much help it just says high performance ddr2 memory.
and the little sticker with the bar code just says ddr2 800 dual channel.
The stickers on the modules themselves are more specific and say ddr2 800 5-5-5-15

Maybe I'll research prices on some DDR3 mem instead..my board takes both ddr2 and 3 just not at the same time.