• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd noise from case at random

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

So as title says. But the most odd thing is that its from front where front fan is installed and nothing is on the way of the fan. In 90% of daily use I cant hear a thing but when I play some games it starts to rattle like something is in the way of fan starts and stops at random. :confused:

trents

The noise starts and stops at random or the fan starts and stops at random?

NiHaoMike

dBa Member
Make sure the fans are mounted securely. Other than that, it sounds like a bad bearing.

OP
demien88

demien88

Fan is static always blowing the same speed. Yes the noise starts at random and yes there are both HDD-s maybe 5 cm away

Alaric

Can you take the side panel off and listen for the rattle? Or run a S.M.A.R.T. on the HDDs? Hard to say without hearing it, but HDDs have been known to have a "death rattle" before failure.

OP
demien88

demien88

I tested both HDD-s not a single noise from them. I have took side panel off and I am positive it isn't the HDD. I will try to move cables around a bit although none is in the way of fan. I think it have to do with vibrations in case although it have those rubber legs on it.

trents

Yes, it could be vibration of the case. I've had cases where, for whatever reason, the frequency of vibration from a rotating component (fan or hard drive) was amplified by the case material - similar to how a piano soundboard amplifies the sound of the key hammers striking the wires or how a speaker cabinet amplifies the speaker cone. But I could take those same rotating components and put them in another case and get no vibration so in some situations there is this harmonization of case construction with the vibration of rotating components.

Last edited:

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
yeah i have one under my deskt at work i have to kick every once in while to make the metal stop vibrating even though everything is tight.

OP
demien88

demien88

Rerouted cables a bit and noise haven't been heard since. This case I have is kinda claustrophobic, there isn't much space inside for cables so they wiggle everywhere if not tighten up to something. Tnx anyway guys

trents

yeah i have one under my deskt at work i have to kick every once in while to make the metal stop vibrating even though everything is tight.

The low tech low budget solution. I like it!