• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd OC problem need expert help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zerxez

I can actually run stable at 4.5Ghz, but backed off to 4.22Ghz for 24/7 use. I ran an Prime 59 Blend for 24 hours. Temps are low 30's C at idle and low to mid 60's at full load.

Here is my problem, it is fully stable unless I let it idle. If it sits for an hour doing nothing and then I start using it things go wonky. I can reboot and play games for a couple hours, but I cannot walk away for an hour and come back to a stable machine.

All sleep options are set to never or 99999 minutes in Windows 7 Ultimate. All sleep options are turned off in the bios. I do have virtualization turned on and am forcing a 21 multiplier.

Voltages are CPU 1.406, RAM 1.64, QPI 1.35, any help is appreciated.

OP
Z

zerxez

System info

Sorry my system config is in my sig and it doesn't appear to be showing up. My system is:

Core i7 920, Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, Corsair cmpsu-850tx 850W PSU, water cooled, WD Black 1TB HDD, 8800GTX (won't upgrade the video card until the new ones are released). Water cooled CPU.

I will upload the process when I can replicate the problem at home tonight.

amer1337

Just to be sure, do you have the round off checking option selected in p95 so it notifies you when your cpu is not stable? By default this option is turned off which can make you believe your system is stable when it really isnt

OP
Z

zerxez

Well that is really embarrassing. No I did not know that you have to check the round off option. So I may have been unstable this whole time... I will run another stability test over night with the correct settings and we will see. No matter how many machines you overclock ignorance is still the biggest enemy.

OP
Z

zerxez

Ok, thank you for the help. Once I ran Prime95 with rounding checked it was unstable. I bumped the QPI voltage a bit and it has been at 100% load blend since 6PM last night. I will stop the test at 6PM tonight and then let it idle for a couple hours and verify it is still stable.