• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
I was wondering if I should get a watercooling kit (Cpu, chipset, video...like maybe a DangerDen), or a P4 2.4C?

Right now I've got a Gigabyta Canterwood board, and a P4 2.4B B0 chip. It gets to about 2.7 stable...it will do 2.8 stable, but the temps reach the high 50's low 60's, which is just too damn high to me (assuming the motherboard reports the temps correctly, I don't know, it's a Gigabyte 81k100 or something like that). Would it be better just to stock overclock a 2.4C, or get a watercooling kit and work on the 2.4B B0 I've got?

batboy

Senior Moment
Buying a water cooling system is a lot of cash just to run your current system at a stable 2.8 gig. You already have a Canterwood mobo, if you desire more speed, the best bang for the buck is to upgrade to a 2.4C. They seem to average 3.2 to 3.4 gig with good air cooling and have insane FSB speeds.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
i on the otherhand lean on the other side of the camp.
If you have so much problems cooling your P4 now, just think how much harder it is going to be to cool a FASTER RUNNING CPU.

I would buy the watercooler now. Learn watercooling and all its glory, and upgrade your CPU once some more mature BIOS's come out for your Canterwood board. Also, by the time you do upgrade the CPU, prices will be down (water cooler will still be the same) and a more mature stepping may be out... but even if it isnt, intel should have better yields with thier CPU's and you will get a better overclock.

Just rember, if you buy a good watercooling system, it will be good for your next FEW CPU's. So you wil never have to worry about cooling a socket 478 CPU again. Once intel moves to a new socket, all you (may) need is a new block.

Although if you are starving for more MHz (and at 2.7 - 2.8 i am sure you are doing just ok) a faster CPU may help.....
But me, personally, I would go for cooling as it looks to me like that is your systems greatest weakness right now.

Also if you do get a new CPU, What kind of RAM do you have? as you never did say. You might just have to buy new RAM if it cant run @ 220MHz... so with new RAM thier goes any savings.