• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ranarama

Sorry, newbie question. I've been looking at building a computer for the first time (fed up with re-buying components I don't need) and have found windows xp for sale at a retail price of around £130 which is pretty much what I expected. I then found one site (overclockers.co.uk) selling it at around £60 for the OEM version. It says it doesn't come in a box, but I can live with that.

I thought OEM was for selling computers with the o/s pre-installed on the hard disk such as when you buy from pcworld.

How does this work and what does OEM stand for anyway.

Ducker

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Typically oem versions of products don't come with the "extras" you sometimes get with the retail version or as long of a warentee. In the case of XP, it just means you won't get the box or manual, just the cd & product activation key, all you really need. :)

Oh and,Welcome to the Fourms!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
R

ranarama

Top stuff. Thanks for the welcome, it's a pleasure to be here. I've been reading for a couple of weeks and learnt loads.

BTW How can they justify selling the O/S at around double the price with just a box, manual and a couple of other bits as extras. Surely most people can figure out how to use windows anyway. Or am I overestimating the knowledge of the general public?

Ducker

BTW How can they justify selling the O/S at around double the price with just a box, manual and a couple of other bits as extras.

Because they are Microsoft :mad: ;)

Surely most people can figure out how to use windows anyway. Or am I overestimating the knowledge of the general public?

Well, yes and no. Some people just want to have everything they can get with a product....even if they don't really need some of it and have to pay more for it. Lots of folks just don't take the time to do a little shopping. I know I don't mind shopping around a little to save some $!

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
In addition to Ducker's comments...
1. OEM versions must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a MB or HDD, if not an entire PC, although MS has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are permanently bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under any circumstances. This is the best reason to avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC.

2. MS provides no support for OEM versions. If you have any problems that require outside assistance, your only recourse is to contact the vendor of the OEM license. This would include such issues as a lost Product Key or replacing damaged installation media (MS does make allowances for those instances when you can prove that the OEM has gone out of business). This doesn't mean that you can't download patches and service packs from MS...just no free live or email support for problems with the OS.

3. An OEM CD cannot perform an upgrade, as it was designed to be installed only upon an empty HDD.

4. If the OEM CD was designed by a specific manufacturer, such as eMachines, Sony, HP, Compaq, etc., it will most likely only install on the same brand of PC, as an additional anti-piracy feature. Further, such CDs are severely customized to contain only the minimum of device drivers, and a lot of extra nonsense, that the manufacturer feels necessary for the specific model of PC for which the CD was designed. The "generic" OEM CDs, such as are sold to small systems builders, don't have this particular problem though, and are pretty much the same as their retail counterparts. :)

Last edited: