• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Off the wall question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
K

Kinerry

thats the point, i tried to test my new mobo without ram, thats why I asked

I have a d bracket and its telling me its not getting past initialization, the next step would be ram initialization, so I am guessing i gotta wait for the ram lol

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Funny, I thought older systems could boot with just the 640kb of "conventialnalnalsatnelnalsdnlafsndl"* RAM installed.

*No, I don't know how to spell it. :p

FTC

Hi,

No, it is *impossible* for a x86 PC to boot without any RAM at all. Note that having the so called '640K real mode RAM' is already having some RAM (in fact, it's having quite much... during 8 years PCs did not have more than that).

The reason for all this is that BIOS needs RAM to establish your descriptor tables, and interrupt tables. and for the code itself. Even if part of all this *can* be supplied with ROM, there are defined BIOS variables (which must be in RAM) that are in the segment x040 and that any BIOS updates as part of its initialization routines.

Regards
FTC

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Yeah. My "wicked fast" 486 laptop has 640K of RAM and barely run Solitaire. I've never seen the cards bounce that slowly before...

ronin1967

On a modern machine the only way to boot and avoid RAM is to create conditions that forces BIOS BOOT LOCK, normally this occurs after a bad flash, the BIOS is prevented from initialising by the BOOT BLOCK sector in the BIOS Chip and it falls back on system defaults. Unless you have an extra EPROM lying around I would say wait for your memory...